RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Help please -- Trip to New England

Author Topic: Help please -- Trip to New England
Mitch Brown
Member # 457

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mitch Brown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We will be traveling to the "Winterfest" train show in Springfield, Mass and want to go early to see trains and yards.

I have no idea concerning the best locations, with the highest volumes of trains (especially freight) and yard switching activity, especially those that are relatively easy (and safe) to photograph.

The only option right now would seem to be somewhere around New Haven, but that is just a guess. Somebody must know this area better than us. We will be traveling by rail and getting a rental car.

ALL suggestions would be appreciated.

Because of the need to finalize reservations, suggestions this week are even MORE appreciated (posted Thursday, January 25, 2001)!!!!!!

Mitch

Posts: 2 | From: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to suggest that you put your query over on the rail fan page, but I see they recommended the travel page. Some time ago, on the rail fan page was a poll for your favorite train watching site. Someone suggested Palmer, MA in the central part of the state because it is the confluence of East/West Conrail and No./So. Central Vermont (which is now called something else). Amtrak's LSL uses that line plus several freights. If you are in Boston, take the rental car out the Mass Pike to Palmer exit, about 1 hour; go into the village of Palmer and you'll see the tracks. On the West side - near the old train station is where everone parks and watches. There will always be several fans there.
Posts: 521 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rails
Member # 416

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the line is now the new england central rr but they are in severe financial probleoms try east deerfield you should have better luck
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page