RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Amtrak's Maple Leaf

Author Topic: Amtrak's Maple Leaf
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am planning on taking this train Eastbound from Toronto to Albany, NY sometime in April. I was wondering if anyone has travelled this route, and if you could suggest what side of the train will offer me the best scenary. Please offer me suggestions from your experiences if you have any on this train!!
Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MJA
Member # 13

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MJA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only ridden the Maple Leaf from Rochester to NY, so can't speak for the Toronto segment, though I would assume you would have the Lake Ontario view from the left side as you leave Toronto and all the way into Buffalo. I don't know if you get close enough to see Niagara Falls, but I would guess that might be on the right.

From Rochester to Albany, you will be following the Erie Canal and Mohawk River which will be mostly on the right side of the train. This part of the trip is through rolling farmland, which is pretty from either side.

For those traveling on to NYC, the Hudson River is on the right side, but I often sit on the left to see the interesting marshes and architecture in the small towns. It's a nice trip. Enjoy!

Posts: 16 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The railway bridge between Niagara Falls, Ontario and N.F., New York, does not afford views of the falls, which are about a mile and a half along the winding river. This train, by the way, has done much to discourage rail travel in general. Several friends and acquaintances (who are not rail enthusiasts) have asked me about the Maple Leaf. I have, in fairness to them, taken the unusual step of recommending they not go from Toronto to New York by rail. Some have done so anyway and, without exception, sworn off all future rail travel. My assertions that not all Amtrak or Via trains are as bad as this are to no avail. Two or three times per year I travel with a group of non-railfans on the two-hour trip from Toronto to Niagara Falls, Ont. They usually find this short trip satisfactory, although the return run is usually late.

[This message has been edited by David (edited 03-04-2001).]

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the advice, David.. but could you ellaborate on what you meant? What seems to be the disadvantages of taking the Maple Leaf? It's a 10 hour ride from Toronto to Albany, and It's either a train or bus, and I prefer the train, naturally! Flying and a car isn't an option here, but if the train is really that bad, I'll see what greyhound has to offer!
Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the only choice is between the train and the bus, take the train: at least it is a "bus" on rails. In fairness to Amtrak, there is a snack bar on board. There is also a business class, but normally that is just a quiet coach section at the rear of the lounge car. The complaints I get from acquaintances and relatives who have travelled long distances on this train centre around it being a rolling dustbin. The washrooms stink, there is garbage everywhere (yes, I know it is cleaned between runs, but for some reason it carries atypical clientele.) Amfleet equipment rides poorly. Although the seats are not very comfortable, there is a bit more legroom than on a bus.

As I said in my first posting, it is a tolerable trip between Toronto and Niagara Falls. This portion is operated by Via and passengers who are accustomed to the LRC equipment in the "corridor" are quite shocked by these coaches. If flying isn't an option, I would take the Maple Leaf rather than a bus, but I have yet to hear anyone (other than railfans) who said they would ever take it again over a long distance.

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jd477
Member # 582

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for jd477     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have ridden the Maple leaf many times from Buffalo to Albany. The equipment is old and not very well kept. The ride from Niagara Falls to Utica is, well not real exciting. From Utica to ALbany, its beautiful going thru the Mohawk River valley-sit on the right side of the train. I've only ridden from Toronto once. I would not do it again. The delay at the border can be VERY long. It seems that people think they can easily enter the US via train without having proper documentation.
I wish Amtrak would upgrade this equipment because as I said its not real good. When I go to Albany to visit family members, I try to avoid this train-usually late and the worst equipment. I also avoid the Late For Sure Limited beacuse you never know when it will show up.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahahahahahaha!! The "Great Late 48" is alomst always late, I know, I know. But I love the train. It's the only way to travel from Albany to Boston in comfort. The always packed greyhounds make the 4 hour trip on i-90 misery. It is always late, but usually it's lateness works better with my schedule. Thanks for the advice on the Maple Leaf. I think I'll still take it, and hope for the best.
budd
Member # 97

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for budd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jd477:
I have ridden the Maple leaf many times from Buffalo to Albany. The equipment is old and not very well kept. The ride from Niagara Falls to Utica is, well not real exciting. From Utica to ALbany, its beautiful going thru the Mohawk River valley-sit on the right side of the train. I've only ridden from Toronto once. I would not do it again. The delay at the border can be VERY long. It seems that people think they can easily enter the US via train without having proper documentation.
I wish Amtrak would upgrade this equipment because as I said its not real good. When I go to Albany to visit family members, I try to avoid this train-usually late and the worst equipment. I also avoid the Late For Sure Limited beacuse you never know when it will show up.

Just a comment about delays at border. I was ticketed by VIA and had to give them my date of birth for a May departure fro, Syracuse. VIA stated no international tickets will be issued by AMTK without DOB and is to alleviate congestion at the border. This is a new policy (1st of January 1st,I think). My assumption is that when you are crossing the border, you have already been screened by border personnel. I`ll let you know what happens. Just an aside, my experience tells me to call VIA and not AMTK for North America rail pass. They are so much more friendlier and knowledgeable.

Posts: 14 | From: Auburn, NY USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page