RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Isaak Walton Inn

Author Topic: Isaak Walton Inn
MJA
Member # 13

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MJA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone on this board stayed at the Isaac Walton Inn in Essex,MT? Does the Empire builder stop right at the Inn? My husband and I have a speaking engagement in Missoula, MT in September. We're thinking of flying into Missoula, then renting a car and driving to Essex to stay at the Isaak Walton for a few days before boarding the eastbound Empire Builder for home. Does anyone know if We'd be able to drop the rental car in Essex?

We'd love to take the Builder in both directions, but we're wary of Amtak getting us there on time. Being late on the way back doesn't matter. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Thanks for your help.
MJ

Posts: 16 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for responding to my post. Unfortunately, I have not been on the empire builder, so what little information about that stop I have you probably already know. According to Amtrak National Timetable, the stop is a quarter of a mile East of the hotel. You might be able to find out information about the hotel online. It is a historical railroad hotel located right next to the tracks. As far as a rental car goes, the timetable lists rental cars as "on call." To find out how this relates to pick-up or drop-off of your rental car, you would need to call Amtrak or the hotel for details. And finally, the stop is listed as a "flag stop" so it doesn't see many boarders and departees. So it's probably not much more than I spot on a map without too many facilities. Once again, I'd contact Amtrak and seeing that there is no real "station" you would most certainly want reservations for the exact day of your travel!! Hopefully someone who has been to this stop can help you out better than I!! Good luck!
Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just out of curiosity I typed in "where can I find information about the Isaac Wallen Hotel in Essex MT?" into www.askjeeves.com and it sent me to a website that says the hotel indeed has a car rental desk. I can't copy the link to the site, so I suggest entering the same information to askjeeves.com to take a look yourself. It's the 3rd link in the list that it comes up with
Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikem
Member # 527

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read several articles on this inn - they do pick people up at the train with a van. Car rentals are available at the inn. Their web site at the inn is:

http://www.izaakwaltoninn.com/

Good luck - should be a nice place to hang loose for a few days

Posts: 3 | From: derby, ks | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoeRids1
Member # 152

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for JoeRids1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello!

I stayed at the Izaak Walton Inn about two years ago.... it is DEFINTELY worth staying in; perhaps the most memorable hotel I have ever been a guest of. Unlike other hotels, they go out of their way for Amtrak passengers. A van service is provided from the "station" (basically a stone siding) to the hotel. You can get a rental car there, but as far as being able to drop one off, I'm not sure but I assume you'd be able to. They're a Hertz franchise. Go for it; it's worth it! Oh and yes, the Empire Builder was right on time both arriving and departing the inn. We were probably just lucky

[This message has been edited by JoeRids1 (edited 03-07-2001).]

Posts: 5 | From: Poughkeepsie, NY, US | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page