RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Tell me about Grand Canyon?

Author Topic: Tell me about Grand Canyon?
doleta
Member # 613

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for doleta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to know if anyone has gone on the historic Grand Canyon Railway. It is turn of the century steam engines and is a 2& 1/2 hr trip. We've never been on a train. Is this a 'must do' for a South Rim Grand Canyon vacation? Thanks!
Posts: 2 | From: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santa Fe All the Way
Member # 526

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Santa Fe All the Way     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I visited the Canyon in 1983 with my family. Back then the line was in dire shape and the great old station at the canyon really needed work. The Santa Fe (which had ended all service many years earlier)was seriously considering removing the tracks. That day a Santa Fe speeder happened to be parked at the station. The man who rode it was inspecting the entire line to see if abandonment was feasible but he also said it would be a shame if the tracks were pulled up. A few years latter an investment group bought the line from the Santa Fe in hopes of revitalizing it. This group wasn't successfull and it's principle investors received the assets. These investors turned the line into what it is today. They purchased rolling stock and locomotives, rebuilt the line and fixed the stations at both the canyon and Williams. Again my family visited the canyon in 1989, but this time we took the train. This was the first year of opperations for the Grand Canyon Railway. What a great way to see the canyon. But that's not the end of the story. The owners have turned the line into a trully succesful opperation. They now have many dome cars and an observation/business car. In addition to the many steam locomotives, they roster a beautiful ABA set of Alco FA's. The Fray Marcos hotel has been built in Williams, and a platform has been installed at Williams Junction so travelers can take Amtrak's Southwest Chief to get to Williams. In fact the menu of the Southwest Chief features a picture of the Grand Canyon Railway. It's amazing to see what the line has become today and how it has transformed the city of Williams into a travel destination. Just think, less then 20 years ago the line could have been abandoned and lost forever.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doleta
Member # 613

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for doleta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! This is the best info I've gotten yet! I printed it out. Thanks again!
Posts: 2 | From: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode the Grand Canyon Railway during the Christmas season of 1998 and was most impressed with both the train and the service. I booked passage in their rear parlour car, which was an ex-CN private car. This is the best car on the train with special on-board staff that were very attentive and friendly. In addition you can ride for as long as you like on the outdoor rear platform, which was particularly good for making videos. If you have any children, they will certainly enjoy being held-up by "train robbers" who are then "arrested" by the on-board marshall. One further note: they do not run the steam loco during the winter months, however they do use some interesting ex-CN, ex-Via F units.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page