RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Via Rail Canada Gives the Canadian a First-class makeover

Author Topic: Via Rail Canada Gives the Canadian a First-class makeover
Trainsandmore
Member # 896

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainsandmore   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys I have Just Found This on the Trainsmag.com Article.

Via rail Canada is enhancing its Silver & Blue class service on the Canadian, the Passenger's railroad's flagship transcontinental train with refinrd dining car service,more luxurious accomadations, and new entertainment facillities.

Among the changes are Enhanced dining service, all 48-seat dining cars has been redesigned with new colors,new menus,and new standards for attentive service.

Luxury accommodations Via has refined the amenities in the sleeping cars by adding new down duvets for comfort and warmth, and new complimentary accessories such as toiletries,similar to those offered by a fine hotel. Passengers can also order room service. Other refinments include making an iron and ironing board availbable to passengers,and placing attractive route maps and plaques throughout the cars,which provide interesting hisorical background for the journey.

The Skyline car has been convereted into an Activity Center,offering passengers a convenient place to gather with friends,with opportunities to play board games and watch videos on request. Additionally, an on-board activity Coordinator organizes games and other entertaiment options for passengers en route. Books and soveniers are also available for purchase.

The Romance by Rail travel Package offers couples complimentary champagne on departure, as well as fresh flowers and room service in their private spacious suite-which comes complete with a queen-size bed.

At a news conference launching the redesigned service, via's Western Services Director Marc Beaulieu Said the West is a Key focus in the passenger rail corporation's long-term strategy for growth.

So what do you guys Think?

Posts: 136 | From: Biloxi,MS,USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best rail passenger service gets even better. Amtrak should do as good, unfortunately, probably won't.
Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think VIA has the right idea: treat long-distance train travel as a luxurious "cruise" rather than simply transportation. Only a foaming railfan (like myself ) is going to plan a trip around a train that operates 3 days a week!

------------------
- Kent Loudon, Somerville NJ

Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Kent, I guess that makes me a foamer too. The Canadian runs full most of the time, especially in the summer, with 20 or more cars. I guess there are a lot of us foamers out here.
Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebradley
Member # 606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jebradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I see one of these 'enhancement' programs I reach for my wallet. How much attention is paid to giving (a) prospective long-distance tourists the most for their dollar, a low-cost, scenic, unforgettable vista-domed tour of Western Canada, with decent meals and comfortable coaches or economy sleepers, and (b) VIA's obligation to give economical service to the residents of Western (and Eastern) Canada? There is too much promotion in this world of "nothing for $omething" anymore;Amtrak has at times been guilty of this ('Pacific Parlour'); now VIA. Champagne? How about good Ontario grape juice!
Jim Bradley

Posts: 57 | From: Allentown, PA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Via does operate a coach section on the "Canadian" and while the prices are not low, the Canrailpass or North American Rail Pass can bring significant savings. Coach passengers have a Skyline dome car with a dining section. In the off-season, coach passengers share the dining car with sleeping car passengers. Upper and lower berths are considerably cheaper than the roomettes and bedrooms. With off-season rates for sleepers being quite a bit lower than the summer prices, the monthly losses on the "Canadian" in the winter season are about $4 million per month. During the pricey summer season, the train actually makes a profit some months. Via is rather vague about this, but I saw in the employees' magazine "Vialogue" that the surplus in some months is over $1 million. Of course, this cannot wipe out the winter losses and, accordingly, we must be grateful that the train runs year-round.

In fairness to Via, the costs of running a full-service transcontinental train are so huge that there is no way it can be sold as just transportation. The trains either go up-scale or they will disappear. Sleeping car accommodations on the "Ocean" to Halifax are quite reasonably priced, even in summer.

On my recent off-season trip to Jasper, an acceptable Ontario sparkling wine was passed off as Champagne. I doubt Via will splurge on the real product. Via is saying that the recent upgrades to the "Silver and Blue" service added 5% to the across-the-board fare increase of 3%. I will be sampling this improved service next month on a Toronto-Winnipeg round trip, which I have earned through the Via Preference point programme.

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I think those upgraded amenities are great. Reliable transportation is important, but those seeking transportation will ride coach. Simple as that. To improve their business they offer luxuries for those willing to pay. If you RESTRICT your business and refuse to explore new avenues and offer different services, you will always be limited in your growth. VIA's being smart with these improvements. I agree that they need to provide transportation for EVERYONE, but the think about the big picture when judging the company's decisions to make changes! I can't afford at this point Blue and Silver service, since I'm still in college, but I think at some point, it would definetly be worth it!
Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with David and Lakeshorelimited. It is most important that any long distance railway journey have adequate first class amenities. I certainly would not take any overnight trip unless the train provided sleeping and dining car facilities. As for the Canadian, a train I have ridden many times, off season fares are quite reasonable, and for Americans it is really quite a bargain considering the current very favourable exchange rate.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page