RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Fares set for Amtrak service between Portland, Maine,and Boston

Author Topic: Fares set for Amtrak service between Portland, Maine,and Boston
Trainsandmore
Member # 896

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainsandmore   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Trainsmag.com newswire just said No one yet knows for sure when the long-awaited Amtrak service between Portland, Maine, and Boston will begin - sometime this fall is the most definitive date yet - but passengers now know what it will cost to make the trip.

One-way tickets will cost $21, while a round-trip will cost $35. The fares are comparable those of buses and to the cost of driving, officials from the Northern New England Passenger Rail Authority told the Portland Press Herald.

"The trains are coming - certainly by the end of the year, maybe late fall," Patricial Douglas, manager of planning and development for NNEPRA, told the newspaper.

Well guys what do you think of all this?

Posts: 136 | From: Biloxi,MS,USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CVFAN
Member # 634

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for CVFAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the trains are in fact coming to Maine. From what I hear they are currently getting the Portland station ready. Also, the fact that Amtrak has started a website for the new service is a positive sign without a doubt. As long as Guilford dosen't throw any wrenches into the plan I think we will see service by the end of the year.
Posts: 32 | From: Florence,MA.USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody know if there are plans for connecting boston bus/van service to/from South Station for through passengers?
Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How far is it between Boston and Portland? I'm interested in comparing the fares with a proposed line on the west coast.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Dunham
Member # 924

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Dunham   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To reply to two of the questions: Boston to Portland is about 115 miles. I don't know about connecting van service, but the MBTA Orange Line serves both North Station (terminal for the Maine trains) and Back Bay Station on the Northeast Corridor (and the Inland Route as well). It's reasonably frequent and fast, and costs, I think, $1 (I used to live in Back Bay but that was a while ago).

------------------
Steve Dunham
Literalman@aol.com
http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/

Posts: 77 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right, Steve.. it still costs only a dollar. There is frequent service connecting South and North stations, but not everyone will want to navigate through the subway (even though it is very easy!)

I really hope this service starts up ASAP. As a railfan, I must be a little greedy though- I hope it waits until january when I can take the inaugural run!! Anytime before the new year, I probably won't be able to make it... However, as one concerned for Amtrak's future, I do hope it begins as early as possible.

-Tim

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dee
Member # 5

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard a rumor that there might be a train that goes even further than Portland someday. (I assume this would be WAY in the future.} Anyone else heard this? (Probably wishful thinking.)
Posts: 18 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dee:
I heard a rumor that there might be a train that goes even further than Portland someday. (I assume this would be WAY in the future.} Anyone else heard this? (Probably wishful thinking.)

There is talk of an eventual extension to Bangor.

Anyone else: wasn't the original plan to have this service operate to Brunswick ?

Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page