RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Texas Eagle Derails

Author Topic: Texas Eagle Derails
Trainsandmore
Member # 896

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainsandmore   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys I have This Article On the Trains Magazine That At Least seven people were hurt, none seriously, july 29 when Amtrak's southbound Texas Eagle, doing 35 mph, derailed on washout-weakened Union Pacific track at 2:04 a.m. at Sabula, Mo., 104 miles south of St. Louis. The 19-car train was carrying 178 Passengers and 12 crew. Both Locomotives (P42's 131 and 76) and 7 cars derailed; two coaches, an express car, and 9 Roadrailers stayed on the track.

Up to six inches of rain had fallen in the area, washing out a 50-foot long, 4-foot deep section of roadbed.

So guys what is you reaction to this.

Posts: 136 | From: Biloxi,MS,USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucky it was only doing 35. I would think with that much rain they aught to send a high-railer out ahead of it!
Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on the Coast Starlight in July of 1999, and we stopped a few times to have the bridges checked by "official bridge inspectors," according to the conductor.
My recent trip on the Chief had the same thing. We stopped at a few bridges with high, fast running water, and someone made sure that they were okay. I read that BNSF (and probably [hopefully] other railroads)issue 20 or 25MPH slow orders when water is high. That was the case after the Chief derailed over a washed out bridge in 1997, near Kingman, AZ.

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 09-09-2001).]

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It happened again:

http://www.news-journal.com/auto/feed/news/2001/09/12/1000271262.22424.0727.1489.html

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page