RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Gratituities for cabin stewards (?)

Author Topic: Gratituities for cabin stewards (?)
jbublitz
Member # 110

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for jbublitz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im taking the California Zephyr from Chicago to San Francisco. Im wondering what an appropriate 'tip' would be for the steward of our economy sleeper car. Thanks in advance.
Jim Bublitz

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattAtTrainWebDotCom
Member # 14

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for MattAtTrainWebDotCom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$5 per night per passenger is more or less appropriate. You may wish to advance a little money to the attendant when you board the train to try to ensure extra good service. If the service is not up to par, then give them nothing upon detraining. :-)
Posts: 31 | From: Fullerton, CA, United States of America | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Burden
Member # 88

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Burden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We tried to stick to $10/night for the 4
of us on our recent trip. I had planned to
give half of that up front and then half
when we detrained. I think only twice did
we find an opportunity to give half up front.
I didn't feel comfortable doing that unless
there was some good service provided.

However, we did find giving smaller tips
at night, after they set up the room for
sleeping, was well received.

Dave

Posts: 73 | From: Unity, NH | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Metman007
Member # 155

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Metman007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually tip $5 per night. If the service is lousy, I don't tip at all and I don't "pre-tip". You will find all types of service on Amtrak from attentive to none.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page