RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » First Trip

Author Topic: First Trip
efin98
Member # 1943

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for efin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This upcoming July I am planning on taking the Lake Shore Limited out of BOS to CHI for a weekend of railfanning on the CTA and METRA. Can anybody offer some tips for a first-time long distance train traveler? I had planned on taking coach for the entire trip but dont know what to expect(it will be my third trip on Amtrak at that time, the others being a trip from BON to HHL and a trip from NYP to BOS). Thanks for any help you can give.
Posts: 55 | From: Chelsea, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I can say is have fun! Sit back, look out the window, visit the diner, and meet some new people. Don't expect everything to go perfectly, but most things usually turn out well.
From the LSL schedule, it looks like you'll be boarding in early afternoon and detraining the next day before noon. Sleeping overnight in coach is a different experience, but I've slept very well before (after being up for 16 hours that day). I like to look out the window (even when it's dark, for some strange reason), so I try to keep myself awake. But eventually you fall asleep.
That's about all I can say, and I hope it helps!
Have fun,
Eric

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've traveled on the LSL in both coach and sleeper. Here are my tips:

1) Take a sweatshirt -- the air conditioning in the Amfleet coaches can get pretty frosty.

2) The closer you sit to the center of the car, the smoother the ride.

3) Choose your seat carefully because you'll be sitting in it for a long time. Some seat cushions are flatter and less comfortable than others, so test several if you can. (note: unlike the crews on some of the western trains like the Coast Starlight, LSL conductors generally let you pick your own seat).

4) During the layover at Albany-Rensselaer (where the Boston cars are coupled to the New York section), try to get off the train to stretch your legs.

5) You might be able to step briefly onto the platform at other stations (like Toledo). Just check with the conductor first and don't wander away from the train.

6) Now and then, take a walk through the other coaches.

7) If you can, enjoy a meal in the LSL's Heritage dining car (if you're on a budget, breakfast is far cheaper than dinner).

8) If you plan to stay at a hotel in Chicago, book it through Priceline.com or Hotwire; even if you're only spending $50 per night, they'll both give you a much nicer place for the money.

9) At Chicago Union Station, steer clear of the commuter-clogged "new" section. Instead, spend some time in the original 1920s waiting room. It's monumental, totally atmospheric, and very peaceful. Plus the Metro Cafe (with walls decorated with railroad memorabilia) is only steps away.

Enjoy the ride.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 09-28-2002).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efin98
Member # 1943

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for efin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the tips. I had planned on eating in the diner for dinner(probably just before getting into Albany if CSX slows the train down due to heat restrictions) so I factored that into the cost of the trip(still cheaper than flying there!). As for getting off the train to stretch my legs, ill only do that at Pitsfeild,Albany, Buffalo, and Toledo(when the conductors allow you to take a smoking break). I never go too far from the train anyway(learned that the hard way while waiting for a commuter train in Haverhill, MA).
Posts: 55 | From: Chelsea, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're traveling west from Boston, you'll have to wait to eat until after Albany. The diner is on the section of the train that comes from New York.

Note, too, that some substantial changes to the train's schedule go into effect in a few weeks' time.

You might also want to print and take along the Lake Shore Limited's old route guide. You'll find it here:
http://www.trainweb.com/routes/route_48/rg_48old.htm

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efin98
Member # 1943

Rate Member
oh well, no diner till after 8. I can live with that. It gives me a reason to visit the snack car. Is it true that they make you detrain for a few minutes in Albany while they join the Boston and New York sections? Thanks for the link, its a big help.
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have rode the Lake Shore Limited several times over the last 6 years everywhere between Springfield, MA, through Albany, all the way to Chicago at some point. In Albany, you'll have the option to get off the train while the New York Section is connected, you might want to consider doing this as the train has no electric power in it when its being coupled together. The new Albany Station is now open and I've heard its beautiful inside, just don't wander too far from the train and listen for boarding announcements. Be sure to have at least 1 meal in the dining car, the steak is delicious (I know from my own experience!). Have breakfast in the Diner, it should be served probably after departing Toledo if the train is on time, the pancakes and french toast are delicious, have had them both several times. Take in the scenery, especially when you get closer to Chicago, there's lots to see. Above all, have fun, you're riding on an awesome train. Check out my web site to see some of the travelogues I've written about my trips on the Lake Shore as well as several other Amtrak Trains.
http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix

Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Just after the Lake Shore Limited leaves Buffalo-Depew, heading west, be on the lookout for the once magnificent, now totally abandoned Buffalo Central Station.

It'll be on the right side of the train. And it's one of the saddest sights you'll see on any Amtrak route in the country.

These two web sites will give you a good idea why:
http://intotem.buffnet.net/bhw/terminal/youare/here.html

and
http://rockpile.buffalonet.org/terminal/terminal01.html

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 09-30-2002).]

efin98
Member # 1943

Rate Member
all i have to say is wow, that is a horrible. Amtrak should capitalize on that station and turn it into a railhub for the Empire State routes and also serve the Lake Shore Limited. That place is amazing. It reminds me of South Station in Boston before renovations. Like what the MBTA did with North Station in Boston, they downgraded to a weaker station from one of beauty. Somebody has to save that place.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page