RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Baltimore-Washington International Amtrak Connection

Author Topic: Baltimore-Washington International Amtrak Connection
earmond
Member # 186

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for earmond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone familiar with the Airport/Amtrak Station setup at BWI? Please provide latest information. I'm flying in there Thursday 05 Oct for an Amtrak connection to Newark NJ for a conference. Any info on the Newark Amtrak Station would also be helpful. Much appreciated to all.

------------------
Ernie

Thanks to those who posted. Forwarned is forarmed. Here's to an uneventful trip.

Ernie

===========================================
I'm back. BWI connection ok I guess. Get ready to be messed with by commuters. Station is smallish, and not well kept up. Connection takes 10-15 minutes, shuttles show up about as reported.

Newark Penn Sta is scary!!! All those people they kicked out of Grand Central must have relocated there. Did not feel comfortable enough to sit in lobby looking like a mark! (with 2pieces of luggage and the computer) Went across street to bar in the Hilton to wait. Esclators to/from train platforms are not wide, only room enough for a single person, so don't take roll on luggage where the wheels are widely set, or be prepared to lug it down, or up. "Front" doors to station are locked down @1:30am, had to lug stuff all the way around the station to get in the back door (about equilivant to 4 block run). Barely made my 2:10 connection with southbound Twilight Shoreliner. This is an old station that most certainly has lost any pretence of past grandeur. Ugly is the word.

[This message has been edited by earmond (edited 10-12-2000).]

Posts: 30 | From: San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ed Von Nordeck
Member # 130

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Von Nordeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BWI rail station is reached by a free van shuttle, of 6/7 minutes. Both Amtrak and Maryland commutes stop. The commuters are much cheaper if you can use them. Tickets can be purchased for either right in the joint ticket office above the platforms.
Posts: 9 | From: Riverside California | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Newark Amtrak station is a very busy, large intermodal facility. There are various trains including New Jersey Transit & the Trans Hudson tube that runs to the World Trade Center & Penn Station(for a buck I believe). There are also busses & taxis available & quite a few fast food joints. Yours Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page