RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Metrolink in LA Harbor?

Author Topic: Metrolink in LA Harbor?
GP25
Member # 158

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for GP25   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone here would like to see Metrolink Train Service in the LA Harbor Via San Pedro or Long Beach? I would love to see Metrolink Trains in the Harbor. I would at lease Love to see Two Route in South LA. One I would love to see as an Express Train San Pedro to Los Angeles Nonstop of course. This Express Train can take the Alameda corridor when it is donethe second train I would love to see. On the BNSF Harbor route Via Los Angeles International Airport(across the street from the Green Line Station. At Imperial and Aviation. This train can also stop at Redondo Beach Green Line Station. Because of the Redondo Beach Station to the BNSF track. Note the Green Line Station is Upstairs from the BNSF Tracks). I think this area need more train route to help both the I-110 and I-710 fwys and also help the Blue Line out too. Would anyone else here like to see Harbor Train Routes too?

------------------
GP2500

Posts: 40 | From: Tarzana, CA-USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattAtTrainWebDotCom
Member # 14

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for MattAtTrainWebDotCom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the contrary, I'd be opposed to any such kind of service. UP would have a cow if passenger trains hogged its Alameda Corridor (BNSF might not care quite as much). Plus, it's probably not a good idea anyway to try to tango with the freight guys. The trains couldn't take the old BNSF Harbor Sub because it is all dark territory. In fact, it's mostly restricted limits with a whopping top speed of 15 miles per hour. That, plus its extremely roundabout route to Long Beach, eliminates that possibility. I say make the Blue Line faster by speeding it up to the light rail industry-standard 70 miles per hour on the straightaways (as opposed to the current 55). Also, make some trains limited-stop, with maybe one stop at Rosa Parks Station for the Green Line transfer.

------------------
-Matthew J. Melzer
matt@trainweb.com

Posts: 31 | From: Fullerton, CA, United States of America | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, the Blue Line as it is currently configured cannot run "limited stop express trains". On a charter trip a few months ago, it was explained that the Blue Line grade crossing signal system *REQUIRES* the trains to stop and pause at stations, notably Wardlow Road, in order to allow the crossing signals to activate. The signals have a timing delay built in (so that they don't activate while people are boarding the train) and would not work if a train zipped through on 'express' mode.
The only way around this would be to manually "flag" all crossings along the route!

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention blue line is within 1 mile of corridor anyway. A bit redundant "don't you (ever) think?"
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Alameda Corridor would not be too scenic either...even railfans probably wouldn't be that interested in a ride through a trench (at least not on a regular basis). If you want to suggest passenger traffic on freight-only lines, maybe the UP Long Beach/San Pedro branch could be used, between the BNSF main at Hobart yard and the Blue Line shops near Carson. Some freights move along that line at a pretty good clip.
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI: There are MTA type no trespassing signs along BNSF Harbor sub.
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page