RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Amtrak Superliner Sleeping Cars

Author Topic: Amtrak Superliner Sleeping Cars
carole777
Member # 220

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for carole777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

My husband and I will be taking our first long rail journey on the Sunset from New Orleans to Los Angeles. We are trying to decide whether it is worth the extra money for a Deluxe Sleeping Car (includes private bathroom) or a Standard Superliner (without). I would like to hear from anyone with advice on this (and, also any other travel tips for this train). Thanks.

Posts: 1 | From: Newburgh, NY, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marp
Member # 175

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering the difference in price, I'd recommend the standard room. When I rode the Sunset last, I had a standard, and it was fine. My concern had been whether there would be a shower available when I wanted to use it in the morning, but I had no problems. The standard room is a snug fit for day use for two, but I generally spend my non-sleeping hours in the lounge car.

Take the time to engage your fellow passengers in conversation- expecially some of the seniors; you'll have time to listen to their tales, and some of their stories are truly amazing.

My only other comment about the Sunset is that it travels surprisingly slow due to the terrain, and there isn't very much in the way of spectacular scenery, mostly low desert hills, and ten zillion Border Patrol officers trying to stop illegals. Other than that, I found it to be a pleasant, relaxing experience.

John

------------------

Posts: 5 | From: St. Clair Shores MI USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The standard room is really cramped for two. The lower bed occupies nearly all the floor space, while the upper has no windows. And, it is really difficult to sleep two to a bed. While it costs a lot more, if you can afford it, choose the deluxe room.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you plan to be out and about during the day the standard bedroom will be fine. If your going to be in the room all day then your probably better off with the deluxe because you can lay down and stretch out.
Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to weigh in in favor of the deluxe room. There is not enough room for two in the standard - no place to put baggage for two. Plus my wife prefers to have her own bathroom rather than go down the hall. But if you do decide to go with the standard, consider this: the lower rooms have the follows advantages: 1. bathrooms are closer 2. not as much traffic in the passageway 3. see the scenery better when lying in bed at night.
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd certainly recommend the deluxe room if the extra price won't take too much from your travel budget for the trip. I usually advise 2 people traveling more than 1 night to go the deluxe room. I booked 2 people on the Sunset just a few days ago 1 night Orlando to New Orleans in a standard room, with a 2 day stop in New Orleans. They then had a deluxe room on the 2 night segment to LAX. They were very glad they had the deluxe for the 2 nights they spent leaving New Orleans & wouldn't book a standard sleeper again. The price difference is a lot though & take that into consideration. You could always book a standard & if you wanted you coulsd try & upgrade on the train, if the deluxe was available. Yours Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page