RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Redwoods Valley Route

Author Topic: Redwoods Valley Route
GP25
Member # 158

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for GP25   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to see Amtrak Add Train Service to the Redwoods Valley (Eureka to Oakland via Santa Rosa, Napa Jct and Petaluma). After the two Cal Car set are released from the Surfliner Route. I think Amtrak and Caltrans can add train Service to Eureka. I would even like to see Amtrak put a Superliner Sightseer/Lounge Car on this run.
I have heard that the NWPR (Northwestern Pacific Railroad) needs about 100 Million Dollars to rebuild the Route. I think Gov, Davis has some money to help out. And I think Amtrak can get help too. The Redwoods Valley would better to travel too. If done by Rail and a Bus. You got about 316 miles Eureka to the Napa Jct. That is the NWP Main Route. The and about 20 miles from the Napa Jct to the Vallejo Jct (or the Suisun/Fairfield Jct. I think). The Vallejo Area is about 30 to 40 miles away from Oakland. I guess the whole route is about 380 miles. I think an Amtrak Train can cover this route quicker than the Bus they have on this Route. Does anyone else who think Amtrak should have Redwoods Empire Train Service?

Posts: 40 | From: Tarzana, CA-USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds interesting, but not politically feasible. It's difficult to push for an expansion of service when there are reliability problems with existing service.
Money could be used for additional tracks in areas of congestion, such as the UP through Cima Hill/Mojave Desert (holding up the reintroduction of the Talgo train) or on the Coast Line, much of which is still single track.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page