RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Travel » Australian rail travel

Author Topic: Australian rail travel
JoeRids1
Member # 152

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for JoeRids1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going to be studying abroad in Australia next year from February to June of 2001, and, of course, I want to do some train travel there! I heard that you can get an Australian Rail pass before you get there and save money on the railfare; does anybody know where one can get those? (Any travel agents out there?) Has anyone traveled on Australian trains? I know they have some great ones. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you!
Posts: 5 | From: Poughkeepsie, NY, US | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rhurn
Member # 256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rhurn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Joe,
I worked for the NSW railways for 42 years and have travelled on most Australian services over past and recent times.Since I retired four years ago I have had four trips to the US and Canada and on each occasion I had a 30 day Amtrak pass or a North American Travel Pass.
When you make a booking on an Australian train you are allotted a seat and car number at the time of booking so always give the clerk a preference {isle or window}.
It is also advisable to make your reservation as soon as you can as most services are well patronised.
In regard to travel passes it may be cheaper and more convenient for you to get a individual pass for the state you will be doing the most travel in. All travel passes are available in Australia. When planning an itinerary remember we are a large country and some of the services only run three times a week.For lots more info I suggest you visit www.railserve.com/passenger/australia.
also email me if you require further info

PS
Your purse should have a great time here prices are about the same and your dollar almost two of ours.
Regards,
Ritchie

Posts: 2 | From: sydney australia | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rhurn
Member # 256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rhurn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Joe,
I worked for the NSW railways for 42 years and have travelled on most Australian services over past and recent times.Since I retired four years ago I have had four trips to the US and Canada and on each occasion I had a 30 day Amtrak pass or a North American Travel Pass.
When you make a booking on an Australian train you are allotted a seat and car number at the time of booking so always give the clerk a preference {isle or window}.
It is also advisable to make your reservation as soon as you can as most services are well patronised.
In regard to travel passes it may be cheaper and more convenient for you to get a individual pass for the state you will be doing the most travel in. All travel passes are available in Australia. When planning an itinerary remember we are a large country and some of the services only run three times a week.For lots more info I suggest you visit www.railserve.com/passenger/australia.
also email me if you require further info

PS
Your purse should have a great time here prices are about the same and your dollar almost two of ours.
Regards,
Ritchie

Posts: 2 | From: sydney australia | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page