RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Recent trip report

Author Topic: Recent trip report
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just back from a trip to the west coast from Pittsburgh. Over-all, a great time.

Took Capitol to Chicago , as usual. Had planned on returning to Pittsburgh on it, but due to the schedule change east-bound I decided to switch to the Three Rivers which has a later arrival time into Pitt.

Next, the SW Chief to LA. One of my favorite trains. Great car attendant. Can you believe the train was an hour EARLY arriving into LA ?? We had tp by-pass Fullerton where evidently track work was being done. That was the reason, evidently , that the train arrived early into LA.

That same day, it was the Texas Eagle returning to Chicago. Our arrival into Chicago was over six hours late----fortunately I DID have reservations for the later departing Three Rivers , because I would have missed the earlier departing Capitol.

Extreme heat through the Southwest placed speed restrictions on the engineers , so most of the travel through Arizona and New Mexico and much of Texas was at less than 50 mph. This I am certain caused much of the delay. Also, we were "stuck" at Texarkana for at least three-four hours awaiting an engine crew change.

But, I did not mind the late arrival into Chicago at all because I got to spend extra time on the train and had only a 2 hour lay-over there instead of a 9 hour one if the train would have arrived on time.

Over-all the trip was a good one. No major complaints.

As mentioned, I guess I will now have to take the Three Rivers back to Pittsburgh from Chicago instead of my "favored" Capitol. The 5:30 AM arrival into Pittsburgh (if the train runs on time) is simply much too early for me---I would have to get up at 4:30 AM which is NOT my idea of "fun."

I guess I CAN understand Amtrak's "logic" however related to the schedule change---an earlier arrival into DC means more possible connections to south-bound trains from DC.

I did want to mention that Amtrak was nice enough to "waive" the change of train fee when I switched from the Capitol to the Three Rivers for my return to Pittsburgh.

Wanted to mention something else, that did "dismay" me related to altering a trip after it has been booked.

Due to the fact that I was unable to get a ride home from the station in Pittsburgh after arriving on the Three Rivers, I CONSIDERED simply staying on the train to Harrisburgh, laying-over there , then returning later that day to Pittsburgh (arriving in the evening.)

WELL, when I "suggested" this to the reservationist , I was informed that a $30 "change fee" would be added to the cost of the extra portion of my trip. I did NOT think this was "fair" , and let Amtrak know this "officially" in a letter of "protest."

Here was my logic: I was simply EXTENDING a pre-existing trip already ticketed---thus I felt the service fee of $30 was TOTALLY unnecessary.

Now if there was a BREAK in travel, I could understand. But there was NOT. This would have been a SAME day extension beyond Pittsburgh and back. I was not LESSENING my travel , OR changing trains. In my letter, I stated that the extra travel through to Harrisburg and back to Pittsburgh (in first-class) would have cost over $200---money that Amtrak needs desperately. Amtrak lost that money because I chose to de-train in Pittsburgh and take a taxi home----simply because I did not feel the extra $30 fee was justified. I am anxious to see if Amtrak responds to my letter.

Do any of you AGREE with my "logic" ?? If a trip is already ticketed , and an EXTENSION of that trip is requested , I certainly do NOT think an "extra" fee is justified.

Two other brief thoughts:

On the SW Chief, a lady asked me why Amtrak does NOT recycle. I wondered that myself. Would it be that difficult for Amtrak to request that all cans and bottles be placed in recycling bins on the trains ? I think most every passenger would cooperate. Wouldn't this provide a great deal of extra money to Amtrak ? Do any of you know why Amtrak chooses NOT to recycle ??

Finally, the matter of left-over "prepared" foods from the dinettes---this would be mostly the hand-made sandwiches , I suppose. A fellow in the lounge-car informed me that any of those sandwiches that are NOT sold during the trip are THROWN AWAY at the end of the trip. This sounded ridiculous to me !! Why not reduce the price of these sandwiches to a dollar and SELL them aboard the train until they are gone ?? That way at least SOME money would be made for the company. It doe not make sense to me to simply throw the sandwiches away because Amtrak can not sell them for THREE dollars , as compared to ONE dollar. And the lounge attendant would certainly know WHEN to offer the sandwiches for sale. Why "pitch" the sandwiches with NO profit instead of selling them for LESS profit. This attendant told me that at certain times MANY, MANY sandwiches where simply "garbaged". This is crazy. They could ALL probably be sold on a first-come , first-served basis until they were simply all gone.

That's it for now.

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding your extention to Harrisburg: Sounds like a simple case of "bureaucratosis". Why didn't you simply buy a new, separate reservation, ticket between PGH and HAR?

Regarding the sandwiches: Selling them at discount toward the end of the trip would require extra work for the attendant. Union agreements provide that all work MUST be completed before the train arrives at its destination. Same applies for dining car workers - no work may be done BEFORE the train leaves its origin point. Hence, though the CARDINAL I rode recently departed Chicago at precisly 7:30, dinner was not served until 9PM! The next day, with an imminent arrival in Washington at 6:30, the first (and only) dinner call was at 4:00!

------------------
- Kent Loudon, Somerville NJ

Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC2001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>>Union agreements provide that all work MUST be completed before the train arrives at its destination. Same applies for dining car workers - no work may be done BEFORE the train leaves its origin point. Hence, though the CARDINAL I rode recently departed Chicago at precisly 7:30, dinner was not served until 9PM! The next day, with an imminent arrival in Washington at 6:30, the first (and only) dinner call was at 4:00!<<

I've seen this "we have to close the diner (lounge) before arrival" phenomenon several times. Now, I know the solutions to Amtrak's problems are often complex, but surely there can be a (simple!) alteration to union agreements to permit employees to work 10-15 minutes after the train arrives in the station! It's no crime for the lounge attendant to finish his tasks while the passengers are unloading.

Of course, those sandwiches could be discounted before the lounge or diner has to close. However, wasted food is hardly a problem unique to Amtrak. I worked for McDonald's during College (never again!) and we wasted sandwiches literally by the dozens, many after just 10-15 minutes.

Posts: 72 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a "simple" alteration in dealing with Union and Management issues. Amtrak is no exception.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me explain my thoughts a little more to "clarify" my point about reducing the prices for the sandwiches.

I realize that the lounge car must "close" a certain amount of time BEFORE the train arrives at its final destination. That should not effect the "sandwich sale" in any way.

Say, an HOUR or TWO before the train is due to arrive at the final destination, place the sandwiches on sale. Now, you may think , "Well then , EVERYONE would simply WAIT for that announcement and not bother to buy any sandwiches until the "bargain" price is offered." So what ? Better than
"trashing" the sandwiches and making no money on them at all, in my opinion.

And I think this is totally different than a situation one would encounter at a fast-food restaurant with those sandwiches. Amtrak is DESPERATE for money. Every little bit might help. In other words, why "trash" $3 sandwiches when they could EASILY be sold for at least a buck ?? And I really do not think people would be "discouraged" from paying "regular" price. When people are hungry, they want to eat and thus WOULD pay "full-price" for the sandwiches. My suggestion is simply an "option" for Amtrak to consider related to at least realizing SOME "profit" (if we can even call it that) from the sandwiches. Not only would at least SOME of the sandwich making cost be "recovered" , but also many folks who simply could not afford a sandwich from the lounge-=car , might be able to purchase one. Just a THOUGHT , guys.

And, again, what about the RECYCLING. Why does none of that occur ??

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get the impression that recycling does not "pay". It is green to be sure, but the cost of sorting/cleaning/storing/transporting is moer than the money received back.
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>>, why "trash" $3 sandwiches when they could EASILY be sold for at least a buck ??<<

Because that would blow the minds of the people in accounting ?

Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the extra trashed food. When I took the sunset limited from Houston to Orlando, we had breakfast in the diner after we boarded. When we were in Louisina somewhere the train stopped in the middle of the track it seemed. I think they were loading for dinner from another train. I noticed that several young people on bikes came up to train and left with orange juice cartons and pastry type foods.

I would rather that Amtrak give this food to needy than trash it.

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skinsfan31
Member # 910

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for skinsfan31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode the Capitol Limited from CHI-WAS recently. Through no fault of Amtrak's (NS frieght derailed ahead of us), the train was six hours late into DC.

Amtrak provided a bus for passengers to board at Pitt for those headed to connecting trains at DC. Since I went on the trip to ride the train, not to rush, I declined the offer and stayed aboard.

I am glad I did. While the bus raced from Pittsburgh and barely made connections with 91, the train crew made every effort to be nice to those few of us who were left. They gave away all the sandwiches in the dining car, brought in free meals for coach passengers at Cumberland, held all kinds of activities for the entire journey, and really made it an enjoyable time. What's more, I was able to get on my train home with no hassle.

Charles

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would agree with you, TalkRR about the ticketing. If you are ADDING to your ticket price, why should you pay an extra 30 dollars? That amount in itself seems way too high. Especially if you're extending your trip, and giving Amtrak more money... When I've switched plans at the last minute, I've never paid switching fees, probably because I am going short-distance in coach, even though it's reserved. Most of the time I end up spending more or the same amount of money without requiring a refund. You would think Amtrak wouldn't penalize you for that..

-Tim

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would agree with you, TalkRR about the ticketing. If you are ADDING to your ticket price, why should you pay an extra 30 dollars? That amount in itself seems way too high. Especially if you're extending your trip, and giving Amtrak more money... When I've switched plans at the last minute, I've never paid switching fees, probably because I am going short-distance in coach, even though it's reserved. Most of the time I end up spending more or the same amount of money without requiring a refund. You would think Amtrak wouldn't penalize you for that..

-Tim

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebradley
Member # 606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jebradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TalkRR: I agree the ticket clerks should be given a little discretion to waive change fee if Amtrak gets more money ($25+?). We were switched to Capitol (free) last Dec. since Three Rivers was cancelled - snow, they claimed, though NS had just as much snow in Indiana as CSX! They held us for 41's leaving time, so crew passed out FREE sandwiches around Brunswick next afternoon; we got into D.C. by 6 p.m. and passengers made connections north and south o.k. We had been headed to Harrisburg, so got extra miles for no more money!
Jim Bradley Natl.Director Hawk Mtn. Chap.NRHS

Posts: 57 | From: Allentown, PA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page