RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » movies and railroad stations

Author Topic: movies and railroad stations
mrhall53
Member # 1580

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrhall53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Along the lines of the favorite train movie below, how many railroad stations have you been in that were in the movies? We've been in Chicago ("Untouchables"), Philly ("Witness") and Reno (all those movies in the '40s where people went west to get divorces). Hoping someday to make L.A. ("Grand Canyon.")
Posts: 58 | From: Owensboro, KY USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LA and CHI- Silver Streak
Grand Central Station- Superman

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for Silverstreak, it was Toronto's Union Station where most of the railway station scenes were filmed, including its destruction when the train came crashing through at the end. I remember during the filming, Union Station was "converted" into an American station by covering up all the French notices and any local references e.g. CP's Royal York Hotel was turned into the York Plaza.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The LA station is real I know that but I thought for a second that that wasnt Chicago.

In One scene outside of KC you can see the city(which is supposed to be KC) but is Toronto or Calgary

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Under Siege II, Dark Territory" used Denver Union Station early in the film.

By the way, if you pass thru there,(the stop is so long you have lots of time to walk around) there is an interesting thing to check out.. When you take the ramp down from the platform to the underground corridor that runs perpendicular to the tracks, if instead of going toward the waiting room you head north toward the light rail stop, under each old track platform there is a sign commemorating an old passenger train that ran into Denver. Very interesting to see how many destinations there were and the dates of service. It is commendable of Denver to do such a fine job of honoring its rail history and maintaining a great depot, despite only one Amtrak train running into it.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay here goes.....giving away my age here.
New York City's Grand Central Terminal, and the old grand and destroyed Pennsylvania Station; Philadelphia's 30th. St. Station; Chicago's LaSalle St. Sta., Dearborn Sta., and Union Sta.; Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal. Not sure if Boston's South Sta. was in the movies.

Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
p.s. Denver Union Sta.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems like there's two forums going on now about very similar topics.......

Anyway, many years ago, on one of my train trips, I saw a film being made at Chicago Union Station starring Gary Coleman -- I forgot the name of the movie though ("On the Right Track" maybe?). Also, Chicago Union Station is featured in either "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" or "The Sting" (I forgot which one, but it was one of those 2 Redford-Newman films)

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the movie "Hannibal" I am almost positive that at one point in the movie he is in Washington's Union Station. I was there during the summer before that movie came out, so it was strange watching that movie and seeing where I had been before.
Posts: 97 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 1983, the movie "Best Friends" with Goldie Hawn and Burt Reynolds had a scene of the 2 of them getting off an Amtrak Train lead by 2 freshly painted Phase 3 F40's and a bunch of Heritage Coaches. The train was stopping at the old Buffalo Central Terminal. There are some scenes of them walking through the terminal where you can see birds flying in the air inside! I believe Amtrak left there in 1982 for its smaller station over in Depew a few miles up the tracks.
Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gibg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coincidentally, I watched on TV recently the old Alfred Hitchcock film "Spellbound" (late 40's). There is one scene in the old Penn Station, and two scenes in Grand Central Terminal. In both GCT scenes, Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck are boarding the 20th Century Limited. In the first scene, they're going to Rochester (although the
date sign only says "Elkhart" and "Chicago").
In the second scene (the final scene in the film) their destination is not mentioned, although the gate sign has many cities listed.
Alfred Hitchcock always loved to fool around with this kinf of thing. Remember the final shot in "North by Northwest" -- the train entering the Santa Susanna tunnel in California (when the plot took place thousands of miles away?).

Posts: 87 | From: Snowmass, CO USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisybumble
Member # 855

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for daisybumble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was watching the beginning of "The Out-of-Towners" (the original from 1970) about two weeks ago. There are just quick glimpses of Boston South Station and Grand Central. I don't know if it was just the way the film was shot, or a reflection of reality, but both stations look dark and dingy...nothing like today, thanks to beautiful rennovations and restorations. Though it is probably both...the film wants to show this couple having the worst time possible, and rail travel was at its most dismal at that time.

Question...does anyone know for sure what train station the start of the "Don't Rain on My Parade" sequence in "Funny Girl" was filmed at? My mother insists that it's Newark Penn...I agree, but I wanted to know for sure. The IMDB listing for this movie does not have the filming locations.

Posts: 53 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Daisybumble: I think it was the the Hoboken terminal.
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it was the old CRRNJ (a.k.a. Jersey Central Railroad) terminal in Jersey City, NJ.

Trains no longer stop there (the tracks were pulled up years ago). But the completely restored building still stands. It's just across the Hudson River from Lower Manhattan, at the edge of what is now Liberty State Park. The CRRNJ Historical Society hosts a well-attended rail festival there every year.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Judy Garland singing "On the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe" in "Harvey Girls". Had to be a stop on the SWC.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Memories of the Invisible Man with Chevy Chase where they relettered the iron work at Santa Ana to Salinas. There was also an excellent night shot
of the front of the station as well.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page