RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sleepers from Chicago to Seattle? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sleepers from Chicago to Seattle?
candy46
Member # 947

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for candy46     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next year a group of us hope to take amtrak from chicago to seattle (actually vancouver bc) where we will be taking an alaskan cruise. We decided to amtrak to go on cruise because a number of the people going have a fear of flying. We are really looking forward to our trip but have some questions about sleeper units.
For the 2 day trip, would you recommend a standard sleeper or the deluxe one that has the commode and sink in it? If you have a standard one...is the community bathroom nearby and is it kept clean during the whole trip? Does it have a shower or just a sink? Does amtrak provide towels etc? What are the pros and cons of each type sleeper unit please.
Also, is there a big difference between amtrak and the canadian via? Comments?
For those of you who have taken the amtrak from chi to van bc....did you feel it was an enjoyable trip? Was it a fairly smooth ride? Were you well taken care of by the staff?
If the cruise ship is scheduled to leave van bc on a sunday @ 5 pm, would you recommend arriving in van bc a day early to allow for any delays? The bus that takes you to van bc from seattle gets into vanbc around 1 or 2 pm I think that might be cutting it too close to try and plan to leave on the cruise the same day you get to vanbc. What do you think?
Any other tips about traveling amtrak on that particular trip will be appreciated!
Thanks in advance for your input!!!

Posts: 31 | From: Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John B. Bredin
Member # 109

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for John B. Bredin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If you have a standard one...is the community bathroom nearby and is it kept clean during the whole trip? Does it have a shower or just a sink? Does amtrak provide towels etc?"

There's a single common washroom on the upper level of a sleeper car and three (I think) on the lower level. These are all strictly washrooms -- sink and toilet. The shower is a separate unit on the lower level, which makes sense because you're only waiting for people to finish their shower, not using the toilet, brushing teeth, etc.. Towels *are* provided by Amtrak in the shower.

Personally, I've never had a dirty washroom problem when I've been on Amtrak. A little water on the sink, but nothing too bad and nothing disgusting. However, I don't think they routinely clean the washrooms along the way -- there's a sign in each washroom and the shower reminding the passengers to clean up after themselves.

I've never ridden in a deluxe compartment, but people I know who have say having a private washroom is great but the common shower is more roomy and more like a "real" shower at home than showering sitting on the toilet in a deluxe compartment's bathroom.

Posts: 22 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebradley
Member # 606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jebradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We traveled standard sleeper room, coast/ coast last Dec. (a) PLEASE be sure you get the lowest GROUP rate from either Amtrak or VIA (how many going?) (b)If you can't get on top of your kitchen refrigerator from a step ladder, you may have trouble getting in/out of the standard room's upper berth (no handholds)and there's little headroom there! Ask if deluxe rooms have upperberth ladders. The older design, but well-kept up, sleepers on VIA Canadian would have upper berths with larger beds, more headroom;(c) You answer your own question re arrival Vancouver - of course an extra day is best, and I understand Van is a beautiful city in its own right. (c) we found smooth riding on Amtrak's line to Seattle, also VERY good car attendant, food, and diner waitstaff. THANKS for choosing rail; have a great trip!
Jim Bradley Natl. Director Hawk Mtn.Chapter NRHS

Posts: 57 | From: Allentown, PA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
candy46
Member # 947

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for candy46     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you john and jebradley for the info you posted! Now I have a couple more questions.
Luggage: How many suitcases will comfortably be able to be stored in the sleeper? I know the sleepers are not very big.

Luggage2: We will be boarding the train at Akron oh, which I believe is an unattended station. We board in the middle of the night. What do we do with our luggage when we board?
Is there a storage area on the coach car for coach passenger luggage? We are taking coach to Chicago and getting a sleeper there for the rest of the trip.

Anymore information about traveling amtrak from Akron to Chicago to Vancouver BC will be appreciated.
I am not sure of the size of our group yet but thanks for the tip about group rates. I'll remember to ask.

Posts: 31 | From: Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy
Member # 942

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I traveled Seattle-Milwaukee on the Empire Builder in July in a deluxe room. Having arthritic knees and being a queen-size traveler, I was concerned about the stairs in the sleeper and about the size of the beds in the standard rooms (on the LakeShore Limited the standard room beds are quite narrow). The deluxe room is great for really spreading out to enjoy your trip. In addition to the couch there is a moveable chair. Large pieces of luggage would be better stored in the rack downstairs and only small carryons taken into the rooms, even the deluxe room if occupied by more than one person. If you're going to connect to a cruise, you probably have a large bag and a small one and can do as I described. Keep in mind that if you get a standard room, the floor space when the room is made up in beds is about the size of a cafeteria tray. The beds are fine, but dressing is a challenge worthy of a contortionist. If you decide to go for the deluxe room (which is pretty pricey), avoid room A because it is smaller than the others. If several in your group get deluxe rooms, two adjoining rooms can be opened into a suite, although that might be too much togetherness outside of a family. The Empire Builder seems to have a reasonable on-time record, but I would opt for the extra day in Seattle just because I'd want to be SURE I wouldn't miss the cruise. You won't have a problem finding things to do there, and you can probably buy Seattle-Vancouver bus transportation from the cruise line, which may be more convenient than the Amtrak bus.
Earlier in the same trip I had a standard room on the Coast Starlight and had no trouble with the shared bathrooms. I never had to wait at the single bath on the top floor - must have found different times to use it than everyone else. I looked in the lower level baths & found all to be clean - people seemed to be pretty considerate about cleaning up after themselves.
The shower in the deluxe room is pretty small - you'd be surprised to know how few people use the showers on the train, so you probably could run downstairs and use the common shared shower even if you were in the deluxe room.
Remember that your food is included in the price of the room - much like a cruise - but please remember to tip your wait staff and the car attendant if they have served you well.
As for the train boarding in Akron in the middle of the night: if you are traveling in a sleeper to Chicago, your room will be ready and made up in beds when you board. If you are traveling coach on that section, you will find that a reserved seat doesn't mean you have a seat assigned to you before you board. Your party may be spread out, even in different cars. Be sure you have enough time to make the Chicago connection. Even if the connection is "guaranteed" by Amtrak, that guarantee may not be fulfilled in a way that will mesh with your other plans.I would follow the on-time performance of the Akron train on Amtrak's website for a couple weeks to get a hint of what awaits you.
Have a wonderful trip - the train part can be called your "land cruise"!

Posts: 25 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisJ
Member # 320

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spend the night in Seattle, then take Amtrak "Cascades" train #760, departing Seattle 7:45 am, and arriving Vancouver 11:40am. It's a Talgo train, quite smooth, full service dining car for breakfast, great scenery along Puget Sound. I took it 2 weeks ago. It's usually ontime.
Chris

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though you can't check your bags in Akron, You can check them when you get to Chicago. Your seating on the coach portion to Chicago can be facilitated if you have the reservation agent or travel agent include a request for group seating. The on board crew will block enough seats for your entire group & you will not be spread out all over the train. you can call Amtrak several times to make sure this is in the reservation. You could also find a travel agent who could help you with making the reservation(a little plug for myself). Be sure & find a travel agent who is familiar with Amtrak & cruising(I am such an agent). Please contact me if you need more help & BTW group fares apply to 20 or more passengers traveling together & yes I would recommend an overnight before the cruise.
Yours Reggie

------------------

[This message has been edited by reggierail (edited 07-28-2001).]

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
candy46
Member # 947

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for candy46     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to those of you who replied. I really got some good info and ideas for the trip! I am starting to get more excited about the trip even though it isn't until next summer.
I have another question. Are all the deluxe sleepers on the top or bottom level or are there some on both levels? If a member of our group has trouble with steps, would they be better on the top or bottom level....I guess what I want to know is which level is on the same walking level with the rest of the train?
Also... what are the usual tipping guidelines for the sleeper attendants and the waiters?
Does anyone know approx how far Mt. St Helens is from Seattle?
Thanks again for your comments. If anyone else has anything I might be interested in, please write. Candy46 :-)

Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I guess what I want to know is which level is on the same walking level with the rest of the train?"

The top level is where the doors are, which you will use to move to different cars on the train. There aren't many steps, but the "staircase" is fairly narrow.
This is about all I know about the sleepers, but I hope it helps a little bit.
Good luck,
Eric

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy
Member # 942

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The stairway is narrow, but it's only about 9 steps (3 groups of 3). If someone can do limited stairs, they should go for a room on the upper level and stay there for the duration since access to the diner and the lounge cars are on the second level. If you can't do stairs at all, opt for the room on the lower level and arrange with the attendant to bring your meals to your room.
As for tipping - in the diner I tip about like I would in a restaurant. For the sleeper, since the same attendant is there for the whole trip I usually give him (her)the tip shortly before reaching my station to get off - Chicago to Seattle I would tip maybe $15 plus or minus $5 depending on services rendered. If he brought meals to my room, I'd tip more. If your service is poor either in the diner or the sleeper, let your tip reflect that.
BTW on my recent trip, the sleeper attendants had coffee brewing and apples, cookies, chocolates, soda, and ice available on the upper level most of the time - a really nice perk for travelers.
And one thing I brought as an afterthought which turned out to be a good idea - a little bottle of that hand sanitizer stuff. By the time you've walked from your room to the diner you've probably touched a lot of questionable stuff!

Posts: 25 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
candy46
Member # 947

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for candy46     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the help you have been giving me!
Another question.... If you have a sleeper, can you still sit in the observation (dome?) cars if you want? Those seats are not assigned to specific passengers, are they?
I know I'll have more questions as the trip approaches...I think talking about it with others makes it seem more real and exciting!
Thanks again.

CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All passengers can use the observation/lounge car and seating is not assigned. The seats are not real comfortable but you can't beat the view!
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me note that the last time I rode a Superliner, the seats in my Economy Bedroom were literally as hard as wooden benches! Even using my pillow as a cushion, I couldn't tolerate more than 15 minutes. Needless to say, I spent most of my trip in the lounge car!
Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is possible for your group to make it up to Canada, then I would strongly recommened taking Via's Canadian to Vancouver. This train is far superior to anything Amtrak runs. They have a wide variety of sleeping car space from upper berths to drawing rooms and a really excellent dining car. As well Via Rail is the only regularly scheduled passenger railway that runs dome cars--a real plus given the dramatic scenery. One more thing, most definitely book a day in Vancouver betwen the train's arrival and your ship's departure (I recommend Canadian Pacific's Hotel Vancouver).
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>>Via Rail is the only regularly scheduled passenger railway that runs dome cars--<<

In my opinion, Amtrak's "Sighseer Lounge" cars are far superior to the old domes. You are seated facing a floor-to-ceiling window! The old domes act like solariums and can become very stuffy, even in winter!

Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
candy46
Member # 947

Rate Member
Is there sightseer lounge cars on the run from Chicago to seattle? More than one lounge car to a train or do you have to "fight" for a seat through the day?

What is a Talgo train?
As usual..thanks for your helpful comments!!

MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kent Loudon said:

In my opinion, Amtrak's "Sighseer Lounge" cars are far superior to the old domes. You are seated facing a floor-to-ceiling window! The old domes act like solariums and can become very stuffy, even in winter!

If they're ventilated correctly, the old domes are MUCH better than the Superliner lounge, since they offer a 360 degree panaromic view. One can sit up there and watch the signals change as the train passes, and see well in advance what spectacular views are coming. This is impossible in the Superliner Lounge.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MLC Wrote: One can sit up there and watch the signals change as the train passes, and see well in advance what spectacular views are coming.

Only railfans are interested in the signals. In my opinion, you get a much better view of passing trains from the sightseer. Passing through a single-track through truss bridge at 80 MPH in a conventional dome can be a bit unnerving!

Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Candy46: Is there sightseer lounge cars on the run from Chicago to seattle? More than one lounge car to a train or do you have to "fight" for a seat through the day?
What is a Talgo train?

There is normally one sightseer lounge car on each superliner-equipped long-distance train. Seating IS on a first-come, first seated, basis. The seats are lounge or sofa types, not at all like coach seats.

The Talgo is a design that originated in Spain. Like Amtrak's new "Acela Express" in the Northeast, the cars are equipped with a mechanism that allows them to tilt into curves, thus allowing higher speeds without discomforting passengers.

candy46
Member # 947

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for candy46     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really appreciate the info that those of you who have responded to my many questions have given me! Thanks!! I check daily so if you think of any other hints etc to make our trip the best...please feel free to add.
Another question
The cascade run that was mentioned earlier..# 760 from Seattle to Van BC..... is there a later in the day run on that route? If so, what is the run #? I think the amtrak run from Chicago to Seattle gets in too late to catch the 7:45 AM departure time.
Has anyone actually taken the bus portion of the amtrak from Chicago to Van BC? (about 4 hrs also I believe) If so, was it a nice ride or just lots of city stuff? Right now we are leaning towards taking the cascade run from Seattle to Van bc instead of the bus, but it will depend on the time frame .. plus the cost. Do you know about how much it costs on cascade run from Sea to Vanbc?
Thanks again!

ChrisJ
Member # 320

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
760, at 7:45 am, is the only train on that route. It was $22.00 when I rode it a month ago, plus, I upgraded to business class for another $11.00. (Check w/Amtrak for the date you want.)
I would recommend you see the sights in Seattle, spend the night there, (that's what I did) and take 760. It's quite scenic, running along the Puget Sound, and it beats the heck out of a bus ride. You won't regret it.
Chris

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got into this thread. Way back near the top Candy46 asked "How many suitcases will comfortably be able to be stored in the sleeper?"

I can answer that for the Standard Bedroom. One time I measured the space under the seats. The space is 9.5" tall, 23" wide and 26" deep. If you have any small bags less than 9.5" thick they will fit under the seats. There is also a small hanger rod (in Superliner II) or small closet (in Superliner I) for a hanging garment bag. There is also a large community luggage rack at the bottom of the stairs in all Superliner cars, both coaches and sleepers. These will take the big pieces easily.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 08-12-2001).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kent Loudon wrote:

" In my opinion, you get a much better view of passing trains from the sightseer. Passing through a single-track through truss bridge at 80 MPH in a conventional dome can be a bit unnerving! "

I stand by my opinion that scenery watching is much better in a dome than a Superliner Lounge. The ability to see forward is the major advantage. Many times in a Superliner lounge I've missed scenic points simply because I could not look ahead. They passed by the big picture windows too quickly. And passing through a truss bridge at 80 mph may be unnerving, but in a dome, at least you could see it coming.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my take on the Dome vs Superliner lounge. I like them both, for different reasons. Superliners, because a two-story train is just plain fun. Domes, because you can see ahead. However, for sightseeing, dome seating, being more like coach seats, do not provide the best neck angles. Superliner lounge seats face the windows and can swivel.

Bottom line, single level trains should all have domes. I'd like to see Talgos with domes. Bi-level trains can't have domes, so we must compromise.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skinsfan31
Member # 910

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for skinsfan31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is kind of off topic, but why can't the Amfleet trains in the East run single level sightseer cars. There are a number of views in the East that can't be seen, simply because the windows are too small on the Amfleet cars.

The new Acela cars are much better, because the windows are bigger and the seats are farther apart, but still hard to see out of. Amtrak should develop a single-level observation car. Perhaps something on the Viewliner sleeping car platform

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a single-level "sightseer" car already designed - a Viewliner lounge - but it was never built. (There are also designs for Viewliner coaches, diners, (yes, I know, there's one prototype Viewliner diner) and dormitories.) Unfortunately, there is no money for Amtrak to build these cars. In my opinion, they are in desparate need of new single-level cars, especially diners.
Incidentally, in 1956, the Seaboard RR built three "sun lounges" that are probably the closest equivalent to single-level "sightseer" cars. They were half sleeper half lounge, with the windows in the lounge half wrapping into the roof, and were used in service on the Silver Meteor. As Seaboard was wise enough to insist on all-stainless construction, the cars survived to operate on Amtrak until the late 1970s. Unfortunately, because of their uniqueness, they didn't make the cut to be upgraded to HEP, and were then retired. At least one of them survives in private car service. (I've seen photos, and they are, indeed, beautiful cars.)

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
candy46
Member # 947

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for candy46     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of very interesting info and comments...Thanks!!

Several more questions....
Regarding the sightseer lounge vs dome cars... can I actually see a picture of a sightseer lounge car anywhere on the net?

Mr. Toy mentions Superliner I and Superliner II. I didn't know there were 2 types of Superliner cars. What is the difference? Is one a standard and one a deluxe ?

Chris mentioned staying in Seattle and taking the 760 in AM to Van BC. Do you have any recommendations for reasonably priced accomodations in Seattle that would be fairly close to the amtrak station?

The train station in Van BC.....is it far from where the cruise ships dock?

Does the cascade have a good reputation for being pretty much on time from Seattle to Van bc and vice versa? The cruise ship leaves at 5 pm so I would want to be in Van bc no later than 2 pm.

One more question that just came to mind....Is there a passenger train that has a run from Van bc or Seattle clear up to Denali National Park or that area??? I haven't heard of one but maybe there is one through a private line?? It would be nice if either amtrak or via would initiate one! It prob would be a very expensive venture!!

Thanks again!

Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a picture of a Sightseer Lounge: http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/amtrak/amtSUPER/amt33046.jpg

This is a navigable site of the inside of a Sightseer Lounge: http://www.360360.com/cgi-bin/photos/showipi1.cgi?/ipix/superliner/sl205_hires.ipx
The Superliner I cars are pretty much the same as Superliner II's. They seem to have the same number of amenities. The car deco (drapes, chair color, etc.) may differ.
You can usually tell a Superliner I from II by the trucks (wheelsets). On the I's, you will be able to see more of the wheels, while on the II's, there would appear to be a metal "ring" around it, with a few curves in it (it might make more sense when you see one!).
The II's may have smoother traveling, because of the redesigned trucks. (Anyone can feel free to jump in at any time and edit this!).
Hope it helps, though.

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 08-18-2001).]

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a Superliner I Sleeper: http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/amtrak/amtSUPER/amt32066.jpg

Here is a Superliner II Sleeper: http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/amtrak/amtSUPER/amt32501.jpg

The only noticable difference on the outside are the wheelsets.
Both probably have comfortable insides, though.

candy46
Member # 947

Rate Member
I checked out the sites Eric gave me and had a good laugh when I did the navigable tour of the sleeper areas! Even though several of you told me how small they were, I just didn't realize how small you REALLY meant!! The floor area was at one point was compared to the size of a cafeteria tray...that might be generous! Small or not...it isn't enough to deter us from traveling amtrak!
The rest of the virtual tour and the pictures of the outsides of the cars were helpful also. Thanks for that good site!

There is a sliding door on each sleeper compartment, isn't there? Not just a curtain.

[This message has been edited by candy46 (edited 08-18-2001).]

Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, each compartmnent has a door. Lockable from the inside, but not the outside; you don't get a key to your room.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
candy46
Member # 947

Rate Member
In the dining car...are there only booth style seats or can accomodations be made for a person who needs a regular chair to sit on? Booth style seating is not an option for one of the members of our travel group. I would think that there would be a non booth style table for people in wheelchairs or people who cannot maneuver the bench type seating. Please let me know asap.
Thanks!

skinsfan31
Member # 910

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for skinsfan31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I know, the Superliner dining cars only have booth style seating. However, if one of the members of your party can't sit in a booth, you could probably arrange to have the attendant bring the meal into the very accessible lounge car (which is usually coupled directly to the dining car), for that person.

Charles

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The meal could also be eaten in the sleeping car. I believe that the meal can be delivered to the room.
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both Superliner and "heritage" diners have table seating for four, with movable chairs. Passengers are assigned "tablemates" on a first-come basis. If you appear in the diner as a group, you can be seated together.
ChrisJ
Member # 320

Rate Member
candy46 asked:

"Chris mentioned staying in Seattle and taking the 760 in AM to Van BC. Do you have any recommendations for reasonably priced accomodations in Seattle that would be fairly close to the amtrak station?"

Depends on what you call reasonable. I stayed at the Pioneer Square Hotel, a 5 minute cab ride from King St. Station, for about 150 + tax with a AAA discount. Nice, old historical, recently refurbished. I'm sure there's cheaper, but not as close. And lots of restaurants in the neighborhood too.

"The train station in Van BC.....is it far from where the cruise ships dock?"

Not sure - maybe 10-15 minutes by cab, but that's just a guess.

"Does the cascade have a good reputation for being pretty much on time from Seattle to Van bc and vice versa? The cruise ship leaves at 5 pm so I would want to be in Van bc no later than 2 pm."

I checked it every day for a week before I took it. It was always within 15 minutes. Early a couple times. Mine arrived at noon, cleared customs by 12:15. You should have no problem, barring some major delay.

"One more question that just came to mind....Is there a passenger train that has a run from Van bc or Seattle clear up to Denali National Park or that area??? I haven't heard of one but maybe there is one through a private line?? It would be nice if either amtrak or via would initiate one! It prob would be a very expensive venture!!"

Nope, Alaska's not connected by any rail line to either Canada or USA.

Chris

candy46
Member # 947

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Loudon:
Both Superliner and "heritage" diners have table seating for four, with movable chairs. Passengers are assigned "tablemates" on a first-come basis. If you appear in the diner as a group, you can be seated together.

Does the train running from Chicago to Seattle (Empire Builder) have the superliner or heritage diners that Kent mentioned?
Thanks!

Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Empire Builder has an all-Superliner consist, including the dining car. The Heritage cars are used mostly on the East coast.
Here are a few more links for the dining car:
http://www.360360.com/cgi-bin/photos/showipi1.cgi?/ipix/superliner/sl220_hires.ipx
http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/amtrak/amtSUPER/amt38052.jpg

candy46
Member # 947

Rate Member
Hi! It is the weekend so I probably will have some more questions and comments. I have really been learning a lot from your comments.

Someone sent me some other web sites to check out also. One is www.amtrakvacations.com/traveltips/body.html ( I don't know how to highlight it so all you have to do is click on it to bring it up...sorry) It has helpful info but much of it was info you folks have already given me.

Another one has the schedule of the empire builder listed, but you can prob find any schedule listed. It is www.libertynet.org/~dvarp/amtrak/w_empbld.html

There is also a site that told about the route of the empire builder between Seattle/Portland and Chicago. It gave a little history of the amtrak stations and towns and regions and other useful things. www.trainweb.com/routes/route_07/rg_7old.htm

Maybe most of you already know of these sites but I didn't so I was happy to receive them. (computer stuff is still pretty new to me)

Is it true the empire builder, at one of its service stops, washes the train? The one site said there are some service stops where you can get out and walk around for awhile and someone told me it was so the train could get fuel, water, and be washed. Were they pulling my leg?

candy46
Member # 947

Rate Member
I don't know how that happened but the sites came up highlighted so you can click on them to pull them up. I didn't do it so it must have been the netghost!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page