RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » #11 having trouble today

Author Topic: #11 having trouble today
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard on the scanner that Train 11 only got as far as Jack London Square before going back to the "coach yard" (which I assume to be the Oakland yard). From Monterey I can only hear the dispatcher's side of the conversation. Anyone know what happened?

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KA6BGJ
Member # 662

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KA6BGJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy, I believe it is all of the out of control fires that is currently plagueing so. ca. I do know for a fact that as of 2:00PM this afternoon, all flights originating from the SF bay area heading for the Southland (LA & VICINITY) are currently grounded.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should have guessed. Seems a shame to have to turn the train so far north when the fires are hundreds of miles south. I suppose there's no place to turn it properly between there and Santa Barbara or wherever. But IMHO, they really should make the bus bridge as short as possible.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no "bus bridge". #11 and #14 were annulled between Oakland and LA with NO SUBSTITUTE TRANSPORTATION. Passengers from north of the Bay area could take the San Joaquins - everything on the coast was 'sorry' (there are Amtrak buses between San Jose/Oakland and Santa Barbara, but no bridge was provided Santa Barbara-LA).

As far as any turning/servicing along the coast, there are no such provisions. It HAS been done at both Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo, but the logistics are very awkward and they don't do it except in rare circumstances.

Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
US 101 was periodically closed north/west of LA over the weekend; might still be partially closed today (10/27). Fire near Simi Valley closed the coast line in that area to both Amtrak & Metrolink today.
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page