RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Palmetto Returns

Author Topic: Palmetto Returns
DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC2001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This showed up in a ton of e-mail I finally got around to reading after being gone a couple weeks (Auto-Train!). I don't remember hearing about this anywhere else (Trainweb, Friends of Amtrak, etc.), but if it's old news, it was a surprise to me!

Can anyone confirm any of this? What is the train via Philadelphia??? Broadway Limited or Skyline Connection perhaps?

>>> Schedule changes soon to be formally announced will extend the
Silver Star to Boston along the shore
route in New England. No final confirmation that it will be the Star and
not the Meteor or Palm.

Other changes are that Boston will see more capacity to and from Chicago,
and that New York and Chicago will welcome the return of a full service
long distance train via Philadelphia. The downside mentioned is that New York will lose some overall capacity
to the West with these new shifts made.

Also being mentioned is that the Pennsylvanian will have a change of
schedule for better times in the east, but late night times at Chicago. In Florida word is that the Silver Palm will regain
its old moniker of the Palmetto, and along with that, the attributes of the former's service. The Silver Palm as we know it today will be replaced by the Palmetto as an all-coach, no diner, no sleeping car train, between Tampa and New York. This will reopen Tampa as a maintenance base for servicing the Palmetto.<<<

Posts: 72 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can understand the reduction in Silver Service as a cost-cutting move, but my understanding was that extention of service to Boston was primarily to serve the UPS intermodal facility at Springfield, MA.
Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC2001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I made the above post, I've heard the changes had been rejected, then I heard it was still under consideration. In any case, I'm taking all this with a HUGE grain of salt!

Does anyone know anything further???

Gene Poon wrote:
>>>Meanwhile, late last week, the OBS crew of the Lake Shore Limited was advised
in their daily briefing that it was likely their jobs would be abolished and
new ones created, due to the probable re-routing of the train as Chicago-Boston
only, with sleeper but NO full diner. The rumors about coming changes on this
route have been changing practically every other day, so take this for what it
is, a RUMOR.<<<

(from Yahoo Groups)

Posts: 72 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page