RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Turboliners

Author Topic: Amtrak Turboliners
TManthei
Member # 1078

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for TManthei   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During my last trip to the US I have seen two rebuilt Turboliners at Amtraks's Albany Station. Does anybody know for which schedule they are currently used ?

Tom Manthei
Ratingen, Germany

Posts: 4 | From: Ratingen, Germany | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode in one of the turbo sets on train 251, 2 months ago to the day. I've seen it on that slot for awhile though. As for going to NYP, I'm not sure when it runs.
Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TManthei
Member # 1078

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TManthei   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So - how was the trip ?
Posts: 4 | From: Ratingen, Germany | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonA
Member # 2690

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JonA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I boat on the Hudson I have seen the turboliner several times. Always made me wonder just what the heck the deal was. Now that I know what train # it is I might just have to hop on for a ride in the next few days.
Posts: 56 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was really nice. Since the windows are bigger than the Amfleets and the safety bar that used to go across the window has been removed, the view of the Hudson has been revolutionized. You feel like you're going faster than in the regular equipment used on that run. The seats are cool, too. They slide in such away so as you really don't get much closer to the person in front or behind you. The interior is nice, all light colors. If I remember correctly a cream color and a light green for the seats. As for the ride, it was nice and smooth. Good to have the Turbos back. So, far they have 3 sets returned. I hope they come down to Niagara Falls again.
Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDG484
Member # 2907

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDG484   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always like the Turbos for their uniqueness, especially the old RTG's in their original configuration. I have an HO model of one. These rebuilt Turbos I have found to be quite comfortable and smooth, and I hope they stick around for another 20 years. I think they will be the non-electric Acela.
Posts: 49 | From: Drexel Hill, PA 19026 USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page