RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » My BIG Trip - am I crazy?

Author Topic: My BIG Trip - am I crazy?
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello to everyone here from me in New Zealand.

I have just booked/paid for what is not just the biggest train trip I've ever done, but will probably be the biggest trip I'll EVER do.

Basicaly I'm flying into Los Angeles and catching a train that will (hopefully) take me to Chicago, after a wait of approx 4 hours another train will take me to somewheres in New York followed by another wait of 4 hours and my last train up to Montreal.

Because of my lack of funds I have taken reserved seating (not sleeper car) for the entire journey on the premise that I can afford it and if I get more money before the journey I have been led to believe I can upgrade to a sleeper on the train.

Could somebody here tell me if they know how full the trains will be (travelling in June) and how difficult will it be to upgrade to a bed once on the train.

Also if I'm unable to upgrade and I'm stuck with the seat, will I have access to showering facilities? I'd hate to think I have to stay in a seat for 3 days without having a shower!!!! Yuck!!!

I think the first train I'm on will be the South West Chief, the 2nd will be Three Rivers and the last train will be Adirondack.

Does anybody here have any helpful info for this first time traveller to the US? Warnings? Anything in general would be of great help...

Also I will travel to Indiapolis via road and then catch the South West Chief back to LA for the flight home.

Thank you in advance

Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve O.
Member # 2993

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve O.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there!

Well, let me start off by saying that the regular coach seating on Amtrak is very comfortable. The train from Chicago to Los Angeles will feature bi-level Superliner equipment which has leg and foot rests, more-than-generous legroom, and fold down tray tables. It's pretty easy to get some sleep in those seats. The trick is to get up every now and then and move around. I've known several people who have taken the train in coach class between New Orleans and Los Angeles, roughly two nights on the train, and they said while it was indeed quite tiring once they got there, it was not bad by any means. A sleeping car would be ideal for such a long journey, but if you bring a pillow and a blanket, you will probably have a good time in coach. And if the seat next to yours is unoccupied, then you can stretch out some more.

As far as showering facilities for coach passengers, unfortunately, they do not have any. On the L.A to Chicago train there will be a washroom on the lower level of the car that has a decent amount of room for you to freshen up, but no showers. That's probably the biggest drawback for travelling in coach for journeys over a day.

I would expect the trains to be pretty full in June, which is one of peak vacation months here. If you plan to travel on off-peak days (such as Tuesday through Thursday), the chances of upgrading would be easier I would think.

Enjoy your trip, and enjoy Amtrak. It may not be the most elaborate railroad in the World, but it gets the job done. I've been a repeat customer since I was 5!

Posts: 135 | From: Atlanta, GA / New Orleans, LA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're going to be travelling in coach on one of th busiest trains in the system - the Cheif. If you're travelling between tuesdays and Thursdays, there will be more of an opportunity to grab an upgrade to a sleeper, but don't count on it. I can think of something that may allieviate the issue of not having access to a shower: sponge bath. Grab some of those towelettes that are found at finer truck stops everywhere and bring those along to assist in the washing process. As
As for full, I've already mentioned that the S W Cheif is one of the busiest trains in the Amtrak system. So is the Lake Shore Ltd. Sometimes this train is called the Late for Sure Ltd., which sould give you an idea on the treatment it recieves from the private RR's traffic control. You;re taking the Three Rivers, which won't be as bad as the LSL, but June is considered part of the peak period, so don't be surprised if all the trains you travel upon are at capacity.
All three trains go through very scenic areas, so be sure to look out of the window once in a while. Having been aboard the SW Chief, I can say that I think you'll look ofrward to seeing a part of the real U. S. West. The S. W. Cheif route follows the old Sante Fe wagon trail, which adds a bit of history to your travels.

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regretably, I must disagree with Mr. Son, and while I would never permit a statment that our friend from the Southern Hemisphere was "crazy", I will say masochistic. I sincerely believe that there should be some "reassessment'.

There is no question whatever that Amtrak coach seating is more comfortable than say Economy class air transport. That you can walk around to your heart's content using only common sense, such as hard soled footwear when passing between cars, is of course a +++ (you know what happens to you nowadays if you walk about an aircraft in flight excessively).

But, with some 200,000 lifetime rail travel miles on three continents to my name, I would line up the necessary funds before departure, and book Sleepers wherever possible. On-board upgrades are a "hit or miss" during peak periods. Off peak, such as today, you could be (based upon a check with the website a few moments ago) in the sleeping accomodation of your choice departing LA.

Also, may I point out there are a few inconsistencies ("holes") in your proposed itinerary. "Leaving Chicago some four hours later" suggests you will be connecting to the Lake Shore #48. "Take me to somewhere in New York" would suggest Albany, where you would connect to the Adirondack #69 to Montreal. The only problem is that your connection at Albany would be some 24hours as a same day connection 48 to 69 is not authorized.

You mention the Three Rivers #40; the only station in New York State that train serves is New York City. You cannot make a connection with any service to Montreal without an overnight. If you have to watch your pennies, New York is no place to "overnight" figure US$ 250 for a hotel there; be pleasently surprised is you "get off" for less using an auction web site like Priceline.

A final point, #3 the SW Chief does not serve Indianapolis, you would have to return to Chicago in order to "catch" it. You can use rail Chi Indy, but the "going" schedule arrives at an "unGodly" hour.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 01-15-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could do some googling and found out if there is a YMCA or any other kind of gym near the stations where you have a lay over. If you know exactly where it is you can go and take a shower, shave and relax a bit for a nominal fee. You could contact them by email and find out what that fee might be. That's what I would do. Good Luck.

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Living here on the East Coast, I concur with Mr. Norman - you'll probably have to overnight some where in the NY metro area in order to catch the train to Montreal. Only the Adirondack now days serves Montreal (Vermonter used to have a bus connection to Montreal, but no more). And the overnight Montrealer out of NYP is long gone.

Adirondack leaves NYP on weekdays at 8:15 a.m. and weekends 9:45 a.m. If you are connecting in Albany from the Lake Shore Limited to the Adirondack - making this connection would make you one of the luckiest rail travelers in the world.

I would see if you could get a standard sleeper for a portion of this trip - perhaps the Southwest Chief portion.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just double checked the website to determine if CHI-48-ALB-71-MTR was authorized.

As Mr JP notes, #71 is the "Weekend Edition" of the Adirondack where there would be 1'40' "on paper' to connect.

The results were negative.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 01-15-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi and welcome to the board:
I'll echo some of the others: save a bit more money and get a coach for the SW Chief; it's not necessary really on the other two trains. Remember, when you upgrade to the sleeper, you get all your meals for free, quite a savings over a two day period. Worth thinking about. If you are coming all this way, you want to enjoy it!
The SW Chief goes through some beautiful countryside. Also, I heavily urge you to stay at least a day in Chicago, one of the finest large cities in the world. If you decide to do that, come back to this site with questions and we'll answer them. I'm sure quite a few of us are familiar with Chicago.
Cheers!

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While Mr. Norman and I often disagree about coach vs sleepers, I am inclined to support his view in this case. Coach is OK for one night, but for multiple nights a bed would be a very good idea. For a trip of this length I would sconsider it essential. You'll have access to shower facilities, and I'm certain that you'll feel the need for some privacy on such a long journey.

Don't forget that the sleeper fare includes meals, whereas coach fares do not. A coach passenger can expect to pay about $40 per day on food, so calculate that into your budget when you compare sleeper and coach fares.

You might try booking a sleeper on the Chief and ride coach on the Three Rivers.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grr I just spent half an hour writing a reply but did not realise the username was case sensitive and not only did not post the reply but completely deleted everything I wrote!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

[This message has been edited by Rheboi (edited 01-15-2004).]

Posts: 116 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will also add some more comments to this thread. My earleir post was written before I had my morning caffine, so I'm sorry if it was incoherant. Let me write that I concur with Mr. Norman regarding the use of sleepers for trips of overnight duration. It has been my experience that coach riding, no matter what the method of travel, can quickly turn into the endurance contest, while, in the sleeper, I have had a more pleasant experience. It helps that one is able to lay down in order to sleep, while, in coach, that obviously isn't the case. Also note that at the time of your trip on the Cheif, the Scout Ranch in New Mexico will be in full season. unlike the Kiwis that I've had the pleasure of being acquainted, the US Scouts can be boisterous and rude at times, and your train will be full of Scouts in the coach section. many of them will be getting their first exposure to train travel aboard this trian, and there inevitably will be those who will complain about every little thing, and will endevor to make other's trips miserable as well. (My first exposure to train travel was on this train while going to the Scout Ranch in NM - there were other scouts aboard, disgraces to the uniform, who complained about everything, and made fun of the fellow passengers. I was hooked on train travel nonetheless). It is a testament to the Amtrak crews that they are able to deal with these types of individuals without blowing their tops at them.

One overnight in coach? OK, but not spectacular. "Be Prepared" for the endurance contest - especially on a trian that's as heavily patronized as the Chief. My advice would be to get the sleeper if you're spending more than one night aboard - as certain other members of the Forum will attest, it can make the difference between having a reasonable pleasant trip and the endurance contest.

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rheboi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK! Now I got that off my chest here goes!!!

The main reasons I picked train travel are cost and because I've never been to the US before I would much prefer to see it from ground level than try to peek through clouds at 700,000ft traveling @ Warp factor 9!!!

The thought of travelling the Santa Fe trail is more than enough to get me all excited again and again!!! I know I'm going to see some things that will stay with me a lifetime.

It will probably wear me out somewhat, but in the end it will be worth it. After all early exporers did these trips in horse drawn carriages no air con luxury for them!!

And with my job as computer operator it's not uncommon for me to sit long hours anyway. Although any rumours that I sleep during that time is completely false!!

I realise I may have got some details wrong as Amtrak left me with having to guess some stuff as it's not (for me) so obvious. When requesting details for trip only a "Service No." is provided, not a train name)

Here is the official plan for me. This is a trip that takes me (eventually) to Montreal.

Maybe I could have tried harder (saved more money) and done the trips from LA to Montreal and Indy to LA by plane but I would truly miss out on seeing America and that's what I want to do.

At 18:45 on the Wednesday I begin my journey on what I believe will be the South West Chief "Service 4" heading to Chicago. This being Wednesday and from what you’ve been telling me, it could be ok to upgrade onboard. Although I might try to upgrade this trip before I leave home.

I will arrive at 15:20 on Friday. Three hours and forty minutes later I should be on the next train "Service 48" heading to Schenectady, New York. I will probably do this without the sleeper.

I should arrive there 10:03am on the Saturday of. Three hours later I leave for Montreal on "Service 71" arriving in Montreal 19:40.

As you can see it is a hell of a trip and is only US$173. If I add sleepers for the trip (excluding Service 71 to Montreal as no sleepers on train) the cost is 3 times that much! However I'm thinking of trying get a sleeper to Chicago as it's $281 more but could be worth it in the long run.

After Montreal, I will be heading (in motorhome) to Niagara, New York, Washington on to Indiapolis. Then I’ll be on a train to Chicago, then the South Western again to LA and airport for the flight home to NZ. Again if I can get the money I might try to upgrade to sleeper for this long trip.

I would love to stop at places and explore but I won’t have any spare days available and I’m going to see more of the US from the train and motorhome in two weeks than many people do in a lifetime!

As for the upgrade, are prices negotiable with the staff or are they fixed?

What do you think the conductor/staff would say if I were in coach class and asked if I could use one of the showers? Or have a bed for one night even for a smaller charge than the whole trip?

Would they throw me off the train or just laugh at me?

I think these things are not going to happen if I don't ask and I’ll never know for sure if I don’t ask right?

Also if I’m in standard coach, will I have access to other areas of the train? I think it a good idea if I do walk around often as not to get muscle cramp of any type.

Again thank you for your replies and I'm looking forward to seeing the 2nd greatest country in the world!!! (No place like home folks!!) LOL

dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Rheboi:

Since this is your first trip to the U.S., there's a 99% chance you'll find the level -- and severity -- of your jet lag not only unexpected, but positively overwhelming.

Do I think you're absolutely insane to consider crawling off a trans-Pacific flight, and then immediately embark on an all-coach rail trip of over 3000 miles?

In a word, yes.

My advice? Do the L.A.-Chicago stretch by sleeper if you can. Overnight in Chicago, too. But DEFINITELY allow yourself a day or two of rest and downtime in Los Angeles before boarding your first train.

Otherwise, even in a sleeping car, you're going to be a withered basket case by the time the Southwest Chief even reaches Albuquerque. And you'll still have a v-e-r-y long way to go.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 01-15-2004).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
I wish I could have two days in LA but I don't. Spending two days in LA would ruin the whole trip!

I will however do everything I can to get a sleeper, I've got anything I own (apart from car) that's worth anything for sale to raise funds!!

I work night shift here in NZ so my "body clock" practically runs in "US time" already, maybe the jet lag won't be so bad after all?

The main thing is the trip is booked and paid for so there's no getting out of it without loosing heaps of money and missing the trip of a life time...

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The $281 for sleeper Los Angeles-Chi is really not bad. It could be more expensive if you wait. Consider that you will get about 6 good meals worth maybe $100. I highly recommend the dining car experience. You will be seated with 3 fellow travelers and very likely pleasant company. I'm sure they will be impressed with your journey.

On board upgrades are always a gamble. I have found about half the time there were none available. You could also wait and hope for a call from Amtrak (this does happen!) offering you an upgrade for a real deal, but maybe not likely for the busy June season.

Having said that (am I ambivalent? yes and no), I have been happy sleeping in coach. I think it's an individual thing. A couple of pillows and some strategically place padding and you can build yourself a comfy nest, especially if you luck into a pair of vacant seats. You are welcome to wander throughout the train as a coach passenger, except into first class (sleeper). The sightseer lounge is the best place to spend the daylight hours, and the cafe and bar is below.

And yes, the Boy Scouts can be a minus, especially at that age with no showers, but you can escape them. Plan on getting out at Albuquerque and walking around. It is a long stop and the train does not leave ahead of schedule.

[This message has been edited by TwinStarRocket (edited 01-15-2004).]

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Thanks twinstarrocket!! I acquiesce!! LOL I'll do what I can to get the sleeper... It may be too late but then again trips not till June so I should be able to squeeze in!! Thanks again
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the Boy Scouts on the Southwest Chief:

Several crew members have told me that "boys in uniform" have been caught stealing.

If you end up traveling in coach, don't leave your camera, CD player, cell phone, etc. lying around in plain view when you sleep or leave your seat. Always lock anything "steal-worthy" in your luggage -- or take the stuff with you.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Thanks again for the warnings Dilly.

I just emailed my travel agent and asked him to upgrade the trip from LA to Chicago to sleeper.

I'm glad I started this discussion and asked those "in the know" as I've saved myself a whole heap of trouble.

Thanks to you all for your advice

pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, you will not be able to use a shower if travelling coach, no matter how politely you ask - they are sleeper passengers only. As for areas of the train if travelling coach, you have access to all the coaches, the diner, AND the lounge (which is where you will want to spend as much time as possible).
Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Thanks Pismobum for that, I've changed my ticket to sleeper for the trip to Chicago now so it should be easier for me that way.

To those who are worried about jet lag my sister who flew to Canada previously told me that she suffered no jet lag at all.

The flight to LA works well with our time zone, as we leave in the evening sleep overnight and arrive in the morning (even if it is the same day)

traveler
Member # 1415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traveler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's make this positive. Rheboi you and I think about the same things traveling across country. I imagine the pioneers, wagon trains, buffalo herds, indian encampments, etc. I'm a romantic and love it. I've traveled the Chief and the Zephyr several times mostly in coach. Part of the fun of the trip is figuring out all the ways to maximize comfort and enjoyment whilst traveling coach.
Take maps showing railroad routes and old trails eg. the Overland, Oregon, Sante Fe, etc. It's amazing the number of people who approach you in the observation car wanting to know the location of the train according to your maps.
Lots of people carry a scanner to listen to the crew. Bring a small transistor radio, it's fun listening to local radio stations as you pass through their town. There are a few books in print that give brief descriptions of locales through which the train travels. Study a little about the Sante Fe trail. Take one of those little lights that clip to the top of a book so you can read at night. Take eye shades to block the light from the overhead lights in coach. I have been known to take duct tape to cover those lights above the aisle in the vicinity of my seat. The attendant often doesn't dim the lights. Sit to the rear of the central stairs down to the lower level and bathrooms but not in the next to last seat. The car attendant sits in the last seat and often visits with other crew late at night. You can assertively ask to change your seat if the seat location is not to your liking. Changge into really comfortable clothes for sleeping. Resolve yourself to the fact that you'll be awakened several times during the night, probably at each stop as crew moves around boarding new passengers. The air in the train can be incredible dry winter or summer. Thus, if you have trouble breathing through your nose when the air is dry, bring some Breath Right strips. An inflatable neck support is a must as may be (depending on the vitality of your back)an inflatabel cushion desined for back support. Though i've never used them ear plugs may be helpful. If you imbibe, a few small wine and/or airline size liquor bottles for evening libation at your seat while enjoying that book you've meant to read. Except thios time you throw the book away when you're finshed ( I know, throw away a book?) yup you don't need the extra weight. In the bathroom-take one or two of those little towels used by swimmers and divers. Their incredibly absorbant and dry very quickly. You can sponge bathe quite comfortably in the bathrooms. Take a container to rinse your hair of soap. Some folks have trouble shaving with a blade razor as the train can be quite jerky. I take an electric razor. Expect to spend $40. in the diner, but, you can eat alot cheaper than that by purchasing food in the lounge. The Chief stops for about fortyh minutes at Albuquerque, N.M. around noon on the way to Chicago. Indians sell indian tex-mex burritos and other items at the station. The bathrooms have electric outlets. If you have a hot pot or one of those electric coils for boiling water in a cup, you can prepare all kinds of foods. Ramen and soups go a long way. Any way there are a zillion things you can do to make your coach trip quite tolerable if not enjoyable. Happy trails. The Chief passes through my town, Lawrence, Kansas, on the way to Chicago. Give a "Hi!" as you pass through (if your awake). Brad

Posts: 71 | From: lawrence,kansas,usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Traveler - all of the good thoughts I originally had when planning this trip have flooded back!!

Thank you!

The excitement level increased and I'm not worried about sleeping on the train any more as I'm so wound up about the trip I can't sleep here at home either!!

If you read my latest post I'm doing the sleeper to Chicago but going back to the chair for the trip to New York and Montreal. Also for the trip back to LA from Indy I might also be forced to travel in the chair but it's what I'm willing to do to experience the sights of a great country!

Jet lag or no jet lag I'm going to do this and I'm gonna damn well enjoy it too! I'm going to meet some real Americans and experience something out of the normal...

I'll be sure to wave to you as I go past!! Look out for me in June - I'll be wearing the New Zealand T-shirt!!!

KA6BGJ
Member # 662

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KA6BGJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing that I would like to add here is that when you are on the trains and meeting fellow passengers, be sure to pay attention to our American Accents. You might run into a person who comes from the San Francisco bay area here in Northern Ca.

Keep in mind that he will probably be talking about Oakland,Ca. and not AUKLAND, NZ Hope that doesnt confuse you. Have a good trip when you come.

Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rheboi:
After Montreal, I will be heading (in motorhome) to Niagara, New York, Washington on to Indiapolis.

Just remember to keep to the right side of the road.

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you decided to age a sleeper for part of your trip. You won't regret it.

One more bit of advice: If you have a camera, carry more film than you think you'll need. They don't sell it on-board and for a once in a lifetime trip, you don't want to run out!

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
To trainman1 and everybody else, I won't be driving the motorhome, thank goodness!!! I'm meeting a friend who I have communicated with over the internet for about 3 years now so everybody can breath a sigh of relief!!

To Mr. Toy I have a digital camera and will get a 256mb memory card, hopefully along the way I'll be able to find a computer shop/internet cafe that will be able to burn the images onto a CD.. I'm also going to try and get a film camera to increase my photo taking capacity, I think I'll be taking many many photos

To KA6BGJ: It's the accents and talking to new people I'm most looking forward too. It's nice to get out of the "comfort zone" and meet new people. I think they will have problems understanding me too... maybe I should take pen and paper so I can write things down if they don't understand my accent?

Everybody here has been fantastic and again thank you for all your advice

pompeiijazz98
Member # 2996

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pompeiijazz98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have ride the Southwest Chief often, and it is true that you can upgrade, but you will just have to check when you get to the station in LA. I would take the coach to Albuquerque and try to go econo-sleeper from there to Kansas City, then Coach into Chicago. No showers for coach.
Posts: 1 | From: San Bernardino, CA, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you don't have your tickets issued yet, call Amtrak reservations back and ask what sleeper number you are in. Low numbers are on the upper level (one through 10) while higher numbers are on the lower level. I find middle of the upper level is often the best for riding (one through 6). You probably spend most of your time in the Sightseer Lounge, so I wouldn't get too stressed if you are not in the ideal numbered sleeper. I would have a backup plan if the connection is missed in Schenctady for the Adirondack. The Lake Shore Limited is unpredictable.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I'll add in: Have a Great Trip!

Sorry to hear you have to wait til June though. Oh Well when the time finally comes you'll be ready.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheboi
Member # 2994

Rate Member
Thanks UncleBuck44 I will enjoy this trip and have the extensive photo album when finished.

The whole reason I started this discussion here so early was that if things were made known to me and I wanted to change my plans, I had time to do so. On advice I got here I changed my seat for the trip to Chicago to a sleeper and I now I'm better off for it, so thanks to those for the advice.

I know come June I'll have everything done in preparation for a great trip that I can do. Obviously there's things out of my control but I'm doing what I can with the things that are in my control.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page