RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Rail Passes

Author Topic: Rail Passes
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its too bad that Amtrak made it's rail passess off limits to Americans. I traveled for a month in 1993 on a rail pass and its a great travel bargain. I think its discrimination that we cant buy them anymore.
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak does offer a 30 day rail pass to American citizens, in conjunction with Canada's passenger railroad, VIA Rail.

The only catch is that your travel intinerary has to include at least one stretch that takes you into Canada -- either to Vancouver (on the Cascades), Montreal (on the Adirondack), Toronto (on the Maple Leaf), or to any one of several towns in Ontario, including Toronto (on the International).

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 01-18-2004).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could stay in the USA except for taking the Maple Leaf to Toronto, the Via Enterprise
to Montreal and then the Adirondack back into the USA. That's 30 days train riding on that pass. I used it twice. Stories at http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Enjoy,

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is standard practice throughout the railway world. I can't buy a cheap UK pass because I live here, but Americans can. Americans can't buy the USA Rail Pass but I can. And Amtrak fares are incredibly cheap anyway IMHO.

We pay the same price as Americans for sleeping car accomodation though.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as the above poster said, you can get the North American pass. I would highly recommend the 3 day transcanadian trip. It's got the dome cars, a park car, and is absolutely one of the very best trains i've ever taken anywhere on Earth!
Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page