RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak derailment spoils chance to shine

Author Topic: Amtrak derailment spoils chance to shine
Judy
Member # 942

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the breakfast table this AM (9/13/01) I composed a letter to the editor of the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel saying that the lack of a comprehensive and convenient passenger system was now being felt when airlines were grounded and that would be passengers were amazed to find how few trains run daily Minneapolis to Chicago (1 - eastbound Empire Builder) and that we need an alternative to the car and plane - and then the Zephyr derails in Utah! Drat! Not horribly serious perhaps (certainly in light of current transportation woes), but enough to say that Amtrak has shot itself in the foot.
Posts: 25 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. It's unfortunate when our Country really needs Amtrak, Amtrak derails twice and both appear to be the fault of Amtrak.
I'm a rail fan, but I'm losing confidence in Amtrak. If there was ever a time for Amtrak to shine, now is that time. I hope Amtrak can get the relief supplies to NYC. That would be a fresh start.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judy, I agree completely. Two Texas Eagles have derailed in the past few days, and now the California Zephyr.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please people don't be so quick to critcise Amtrak OR the frieght RRs. Neither you nor I will know the real truth until the NTSB issues a report. Working for Amtrak I've heard 2 versions on what happened & there is NO way I'm going blame anyone now. Certainly none of us has any facts such that we can start finding fault w/ anyone.
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy
Member # 942

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wasn't my intention in the original post to blame anyone - either Amtrak or the freight lines. I am just bemoaning the unfortunate timing of the incident.

I just returned this afternoon on the Empire Builder from a previously scheduled trip to Minnesota. It seemed like there were more cars than the last time I was on that train (in July), but spirits in the coach seemed good, even from those who had been riding since the West Coast. I heard several people say they had enjoyed their trip & would definitely take Amtrak again - guess that is good news.

Posts: 25 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page