RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Wheeled luggage on Amtrak

Author Topic: Wheeled luggage on Amtrak
Carolg
Member # 3016

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carolg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking Amtrak's Zehyr to San Francisco in April. I just bought a 28" wheeled Pullman to use on the trip but now I'm having second thoughts. It's quite heavy when packed and I'm worried about having to lift it up the step to get onto the train and also getting it up the short staircase to the sleeping car compartments. Has anyone here used a wheeled Pullman on Amtrak and have you had any problems with it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Carol
Cgreen2495@aol.com

Posts: 2 | From: New Orleans, LA, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(a) take a 2nd bag along (smaller) with what you need in your sleeper room and leave the larger bag downstairs.
(b) the sleeper attendant will help you on/off with baggage and will no doubt take the large bag upstairs if asked.

Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought 24" samsonite roll-ons for my train trips. The 24" will fit on the top step to the upper sleeper and be out of the way in the standard room, or it will fit on the ledge in the deluxe room. All my electronic toys go in there, along with whatever I'd need for the trip. My wife's 24" roll-on stays downstairs in the luggage area. She has a smaller bag that attaches to her roll-on, and it fits on the coat hook by the closet or on a coat hanger in the open area in the standard sleepers.

If you don't want to buy more luggage, take pismobum's advise. I've seen that work for lots of people.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. Carol, you don't indicate what type of room you will have, but a bag that large will probably not fit very well into a Standard bedroom. I agree with pismobum that a smaller carry-on should be taken for immediate in-room needs, while the larger bag should be stowed in the baggage rack. It is quite safe there, and you can gain access to it if you need to.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page