RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Houston to Vancouver

Author Topic: Houston to Vancouver
Houstonia
Member # 3084

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Houstonia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to be taking a train from Houston to L.A. and then from L.A. to Seattle, and then Seattle to Vancouver. It will take me about three days.

I haven't ridden Amtrak since they stopped the Houston to Chicago line years ago. I loved it then, and I'm hoping that I will love this trip as well. Are people aboard the train as friendly as they always were when I was younger?

I get into L.A. at 6:40 a.m. and leave out of L.A. at 10:15. Am I going to have time to venture out to take pictures of historic L.A.?

I've got my camera and high speed film ready!! :-)

Posts: 8 | From: Houston, Tx, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a great trip. But keep in mind that the Sunset Limited is, unfortunately, one of Amtrak's least on-time trains.

Will you have time to take photos? To be honest, you'll be lucky to reach L.A. before the Coast Starlight departs.

If the Sunset Limited is running very late, and you won't make it to L.A. in time, you'll be transferred to an Amtrak bus somewhere along the route. The bus will take you (and your fellow connecting passengers) on an often-wild, non-stop ride to catch up with the Coast Starlight. Often, you'll end up boarding the train at Santa Barbara, rather than L.A.

Of course, you could get lucky. Just be sure you let both the Sunset Limited's car attendant and conductor know you have a connection to the Coast Starlight. And remind them, more than once, to keep you updated.

Yes, Amtrak will make sure you reach your destination. Don't worry about that. But due to a service disruption or simple lateness, it might be by bus or plane, and not necessarily by train.

For future reference, it's wise to avoid same-day connections if possible. Staying overnight in a hotel before catching your next train is less stressful.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 02-21-2004).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you haven't made your reservation yet I'd strongly suggest that you plan a layover in Los Angeles. Then you won't have to worry about a misconnect or being bussed to catch up with the Coast Starlight. Taking the train and seeing the scenery is the point, right?

There is plenty to see around Union Station if you do just have the short layover. Olvera Street where L.A. started is right across the street and the Gold Line will take you to China Town. Red Line will take you downtown or to Hollywood. And, my favorite quick lunch is two blocks away at Phillipe's. Supposedly where the French Dip sandwich originated. Lamb is my favorite. The back room has some great train models and memorabilia.

Have a great trip and wave when you pass through Santa Barbara.

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Houstonia
Member # 3084

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Houstonia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I've actually already made my reservations. I will just hope for the best, I guess. Absolutely NOTHING against L.A., but I have NO desire to spend the night there. I have reservations in Seattle for the next day, so I guess I will just see which way the wind is blowing, so to speak.

Obviously, since I am taking the train, a good portion of the trip to Vancouver is the traveling to get there. And if I have a little adventure on the way, that's fine.
:-)

------------------
Houstonia, we have a problem

Posts: 8 | From: Houston, Tx, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a fellow Houstonian, I have taken the Sunset both ways and GOOD luck if you are in ANY way on time! So long as you don't miss your connection then who cares if you have more time on the train!

I do recall a lovely train car attendant "Mr. Ed" Lemmon I think is his name. The dining car people have been horrible every time I took the Sunset. From having chips on their shoulder to being unattentive, to running out of food, to having the diner half empty but still not being seated..ah! I am not fond of the Sunset.

I am in fact driving to New Orleans to catch the Crescent because I can't miss that train. Last time I went East on Sunset we arrived in New Orleans at 3AM not 8 PM!

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nevertheles, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the Sunset is on time. If not, go with the flow, expecting the worst, and all will be well. In seattle, don't forget to visit Pike's Market, a wonderful place!

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the online "Train Status" information is correct #1 arrived LAUS this morning at 8:33AM leaving plenty of time to make the connection to the Starlight. It's going to be a wet ride up the coast, though. We are supposed to get about an inch of rain an hour starting at 2PM. It's drizzling right now. Enjoy the trip and I'll look forward to your trip report.

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page