RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » veiwliner diner

Author Topic: veiwliner diner
Trainperson
Member # 1084

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Trainperson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do they have a veiwliner diner i heard that they do use it sometimes on eastern trains what train is it on?
Posts: 6 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy
Member # 942

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't a viewliner diner just a single-level diner? If so, any train with sleeper accommodations would have a diner. (except for certain parts of "divided" trains like the Albany to Boston leg of the Lakeshore Limited, for example)
Posts: 25 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trainperson,
I've never seen a photo of a Viewliner diner, but they probably exist. Someone else might have train info for you.

Here is a photo of a Viewliner sleeper coupled with an Amfleet coach.
The Amfleets and Viewliners have quite a few differences, and I believe that there are more Amfleet cars than Viewliners out there.

lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/amtrak/amtVIEW/amt2300c.jpg

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Genesis803
Member # 122

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Genesis803     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak has one Viewliner Diner 8400 that was built as a prototype with the other two Viewliner sleeper protoypes 2300 and 2301. They were too expensive to build and Amtrak decided not to place an order for them. I have heard of this one diner being in service occasionally but I don't know if it is regularly used and I have never seen it on the Crescent. 8400 can be seen in the Amtrak Photo Archive at http://198.30.209.3/amtrak/amtDINER.html Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.
Posts: 34 | From: Biloxi, MS USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak eastern trains with Viewliner sleepers, the LAKE SHORE (to/from New York), the CRESCENT, and the Florida "SILVER" trains, use "heritage" diners. These are single-level diners left over from the 1950's. They HAVE been completely refurbished inside and converted to electric stoves (they used to burn "Presto" logs!).

Aside from the Boston section of the LAKE SHORE, the other sleeper trains without a diner are the New York-Chicago (via Pittsburgh) THREE RIVERS, and the Boston-Newport News TWILIGHT SHORELINER.

Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Viewliner diner ran regularly in the early 1990s, shortly after it was produced. I enjoyed several meals in it on the eastbound "Capitol" in 1993 (IIRC). No dome that trip, but I did get the Viewliner diner.

AFAIK, it's out of service, probably in the dead line at Beech Grove with the rest of the 25% of Amtrak equipment that's stored "bad order".

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's one funny looking diner. I prefer the heritage diners, but how much time do those have left before they're un-useable? With the heritage sleepers being retired, the coaches nearing retirement, won't amtrak have to buy some new single level diners soon? Please don't tell me they'd rather put dinettes and cafe cars in place of the diner on our single level long distance trains instead of buying new equiptment... ahhhhhh!

-Tim

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC2001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lakeshorelimited:
won't amtrak have to buy some new single level diners soon?

If Amtrak gets the $3 billion or so in "emergency" funding it requested in the aftermath of Sept. 11th, it supposedly might include money for new single-level diners. Seems Amtrak had initially planned to spend most of the funds solely on the Northeast Corridor, but was forced to allocate more to the national system. Of course, as of now nothing has been approved.

I know Amtrak has refurbished many of the Heritage diners recently (was this mainly cosmetic or did it include a mechanical rebuilding as well?). Wasn't the stated reason that they had to last for years to come as Amtrak had given up on affording Viewliner replacements?

Posts: 72 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page