RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sleeping car alternatives

Author Topic: Sleeping car alternatives
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm studying abroad in Russia right now and took a round-trip from Moscow to St. Petersburg last weekend and want to share my experience.. I know this it's not about Amtrak, but i was wondering what you all thought this might be a good idea. On the trains here there's "soft" class- 2 people per room, "hard" class- 4 bunks (also called couchettes) in a compartment, bottom two are couches by day, beds by night, and a small table.. plus there's the usual coach class, etc. We rode in "hard" class which really wasn't that bad. A little tight, but still was bed, nonetheless. It's a cheaper alternative to a "traditional sleeper", but more comfortable than coach. Has Amtrak ever had something like this in the past? Is this what's equivalent to VIA's "upper berth" and "lower berth" accomodations on their trains?

I think it would be a good idea, because while you get less passengers per car than coach, I think they would sell very well due to the lower price. If dinner wasn't included, that would keep the First class sleepers at an advantage (and justify the higher price.)

I realize Amtrak doesn't have a ton of money to throw around on new equiptment. What do you guys think?

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trainperson
Member # 1084

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainperson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree most people who ride amtrak now are riding coach because sleepers are to expensive if amtrak did get them i think more people would ride that more than coach.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC2001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak certainly needs more sleepers - especially new economy sleepers to carry on for the Slumbercoaches that were retired a few years ago. I'm not quite sure what you are describing in Russian equipment (take any pictures you'd like to share???). I am picturing sort of a Heritage bedroom, except with a couch on both sides and two pull-down berths. I saw a European design coach once (in Chattanooga Tennessee some years ago - I don't know what became of it) and I assume the concept was similar.

Perhaps some sort of open section, once found in Heavyweight Pullman cars, could be a solution also. This would seat four persons by day (with more privacy than a coach) and sleep 2-3 by night with some fashion of fan-fold door to enclose the "room" at night. Amtrak will need to carry as many persons as possible per car (an open section car might seat 44-48, vs. 59 in an Amfleet II coach). The number of cars Amtrak can afford to buy likely will be limited, and with train length limits (particularly limits on the number of "revenue" passenger cars) capacity per car must be maximized.

Posts: 72 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of Via Rail's ex-CPR sleepers (excluding the "Park" series observation-dome-lounge cars which have three double bedrooms and a drawing room)have the traditional open sections. They originally had four sections, but when rebuilt with HEP a shower room replaced one of them. These sections are very popular on the "Ocean" between Montreal and Halifax, but not normally well occupied on the transcontinental "Canadian." On some trips I have seen the staff turn the many empty sections into lounge areas by placing a table between the two facing bench seats. Night-time privacy is provided by the traditional heavy curtains.

Because of the need to have large washrooms, the older sleepers never had very high occupancy. The most I recall were 16 sections, i.e. 32 passengers. A "Chateau" series Via sleeper had beds for 25 prior to the addition of the shower room. The most common standard sleeper in Canada (as I believe it was in the U.S.) was the "12 and 1", the "1" being a drawing room. That car had a capacity of 27.

According to Via's specifications, the lower berth of a section is by far the largest bed available.

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC2001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David:
[B]All of Via Rail's ex-CPR sleepers (excluding the "Park" series observation-dome-lounge cars which have three double bedrooms and a drawing room)have the traditional open sections. They originally had four sections, but when rebuilt with HEP a shower room replaced one of them. [B]

I completely forgot those VIA cars, having never been north of the border (since I missed the last run of Heritage sleepers on the Three Rivers, I'll have to look into the Canadian...). My only experience with open sections has been on Heavyweight cars in museum operations.

Posts: 72 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do have pics, but I have to get them developped and scanned.. I'll see what I can do. Your description is accurate except the top beds do not pull down, they're permanently in a down position. The lower berths have enough room for 4 people to sit comfortably during the day. I think the Heritage slumbercoaches are the best equivalent, but I've never been in one! I think Amtrak would make quite a bit if they invested in this kind of car..
Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK folks ... reality checks.

First, to lakeshorelimited's comments:

The standard European passenger railcar is designed to support 72 passengers. It has 12 comparments of six seats each, facing each other.

As an alternative, there are open bay (a la US) coaches with 4 seats abreast. Density is on the order of 72 passengers in what is close to an 85' car.

First class coaches, if they are newer, offer 9 comparments of 6 for 54 passengers, or 18 seats of 3 abreast in open bays, also for 54 passengers. If the cars are older, the compartments run 10 to a car, or 60 passengers.

Sleepers:
Let's start again with second class. It uses the 12 compartment system ... 6 racks in each compartment. YOU bring your own bedding. Facilities at the end of the hall.

1st class sleepers, which in Germany were called, a decade ago, Trans Euro Nach (TEN) cars ... one design I travelled aboard used the US double bedroom design of the early streamliner era ... upper and lower from a sofa along the wall, and an open sink/mirror combination with a "mini-chamberpot." Frankly, I used the in-room facility only for A end business. There were a couple of toilets along the corridor. The car also had a kitchenette compartment for the porter, who had standard pre-done meals available.

There were also newer cars where an individual bedroom had 3 berths.

Now, on to current Amtrak architecture:

A standard bedroom, viewliner or superliner, is a Pullman section ... 6'3" or so by 3'3." That footprint has not changed much in 150 years. Modern Amtrak standard bedrooms have thier heritage in "enclosed section" Pullman cars used on the UP/C&NW/SP experimental streamliners "City of Portland M-10001," "City of Los Angeles M-10002," and "City of San Francisco M-10004" from the later 30s.

The deluxe bedroom dates to the Pullman Compartment of the post-WWII era ... approximately 45 sq ft with enclosed toilet annex. The comparment, with the beds made down, had a chair still available to the passengers. The difference between then and now is the deluxe bedroom has a shower, Pullman compartments did not.

There is no real equivalency for the following accomodations:
Pullman Roomette: single bed with own sink and toilet, same footprint as a section.
Pullman Double bedroom: Appx 30 sq ft footprint, upper and lower, but just beds at night, no chair.
Pullman drawing room: 50-60 sq ft, accomodated 3 full size berths (2 lower, 1 upper) with private annex.
... contrast with Amtrak's family room, which has 2 full and two small berths and no facilities...
... contrast with Amtrak's handicapped room, which has close to footprint of a drawing room, but because of wheelchair needs, the space is allocated to being space, and has only an upper and a lower.

Hope this minor essay helps.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

[This message has been edited by PullmanCo (edited 11-01-2001).]

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just so there is little new under the sun:

In the 1943 Car Builders Cyclopedia, Pullman-Standard showed a demo of a six-seat, six-berth compartment.

Looks remarkably like the European tourist sleepers of the present day.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff_S
Member # 1142

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff_S   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PullmanCo wrote:
"OK folks ... reality checks."

Not quite!

"The standard European passenger railcar is designed to support 72 passengers. It has 12 comparments of six seats each, facing each other."
This is usually first class, second class usually has comparments of eight seats each, but they are numerous variations in this and the number of compartments per car.

"As an alternative, there are open bay (a la US) coaches with 4 seats abreast."
4 seats in second class, 3 in first, again generally.

"Sleepers:
Let's start again with second class. It uses the 12 compartment system ... 6 racks in each compartment. YOU bring your own bedding."
These are not sleepers but couchettes. Bedding IS provided on most of them. Again number of comparments vary. 2nd and 1st class sleepers are very different to these.

"1st class sleepers, which in Germany were called, a decade ago, Trans Euro Nach (TEN) cars"
Trans Euro Nach (TEN) is the marketing brand name for a range of sleeper services using a variety of stock in several western European countries.

The original posting is refering to sleepers on Russian railways which are a type of their own, operating in many countries in eastern Europe and Asia. Western European sleepers are completely different.

Posts: 10 | From: London U.K. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page