RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Question on Trains Running Late

Author Topic: Question on Trains Running Late
ahrjmr
Member # 296

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ahrjmr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every now and then I check the status of Amtrak trains running near my house. When checking the status of a train, it seems that if the train is running 15 minutes behind schedule leaving one station it may be running 25 minutes late by the time it reaches the station near my house. I thought there was make-up time built into their schedule? and does the freight railroads let the Amtrak trains have the right away? As I was tracking the trains status the trains arrival time keeps getting later and later.

Thanks.

Posts: 3 | From: Depew,New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Late trains tend to get later. There is padding built into the schedule. However, that is not always enough.

I did hear a figure of 1 hour for Amtrak trains, but can't remember whether that was one railroad's policy or all railroads. If an Amtrak train is later than an hour, then it has lost its slot and becomes less of a priority than it was (in UP's case, less of a priority than it was *supposed* to have been). Somebody might be able to confirm/correct the figure of 1 hour.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ahrjmr:
Do the freight railroads let the Amtrak trains have the right away?

It depends upon who the freight RR is. BNSF has made it a practice to give Amtrak some semblance of priority over their rails. UP, OTOH, is quite the opposite. Other Railroads (two recent examples would be NS & CSX) are for the most part indifferent or apathetic to wither or not Amtrak gets anywhere over their rails in a punctual fashion.

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On UP,if Amtrak is 0.01 seconds late it loses its slot.(If it ever had one on UP).
Let,s go back to the "good old days", when the anti-passenger Southern Pacific didn't treat Amtrak as badly as UP does today.
------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.

[This message has been edited by espeefoamer (edited 03-27-2004).]

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page