RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » COAST STARLIGHT REROUTED?

Author Topic: COAST STARLIGHT REROUTED?
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw this news and wonder if the CS will be rerouted or ???? Anyone know? I'm supposed to leave in about a week!

/6/04 A fire roared through more than 5,000 acres near Gaviota Saturday, forcing residents to evacuate as the flames jumped over Highway 101 and burned toward the sea - with no end to the burning in sight.

The blaze was not contained late Saturday night with at least 200 firefighters battling it, and the cause was under investigation, according to Capt. Charlie Johnson of the Santa Barbara County Fire Department.

Johnson said firefighters expect to be battling the fire for days.

Highway 101 was closed in both directions, from Buellton to Winchester Canyon - and will remain closed indefinitely. Power lines were down and rocks were on the roadway, Johnson said.

The oil refinery at the Mariposa Reina exit was threatened, and all railroad activity between San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara was stopped until further notice, Johnson said. About 500 acres burned in Los Padres National Forest, he added.

Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiway 101 both north and southbound will be reopened at 7PM tonight. The local news here says that the ties on one trestle were burned at that railroad crews (UP?) are working on it.

Weather conditions look favorable for controlling this fire sometime this week.

Frank in SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Frank. Hope the rails are open by June 18, 'cause that's when I'll be on the CS.
Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im on the Starlight to SBA the 11th, any news about the parlour cars or a reroute?

Just wanted to make sure my trip wont be ruined.

------------------
--Anton L.
pillsbury09@excite.com
AIM: pillsburyMN

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
john1082
Member # 2068

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for john1082     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the route is closed you will likely be bustituted from San Luis Obispo to Santa Barbara. You will miss the coastline run north of SBA, but you'll have some south of Santa barbara.
Posts: 37 | From: Orange, CA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Anton:

Yesterday, Sunday 6/6, I was sitting in the San Jose station on Caltrain when #11 pulled into the station - quite an impressive entrance. It was noon, a bare 2 hrs late, and there WAS a Parlour Car, #39970. Oddly, she came in on the track just across the platform from me and went on through without stopping. Ten minutes later she backed in on another track, different platform. It looked like 3 sleepers, baggage, transitional, Parlour, Dining, Lounge and 3 coaches. It was great; I was happy to see it. There was a lot of activity in and around the station. I was happy to see that too.
John Andrew

[This message has been edited by City of Miami (edited 06-07-2004).]

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks John

-Anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page