RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » CREW CHANGE

Author Topic: CREW CHANGE
JWB7400
Member # 1206

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for JWB7400     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How far can an engine crew go before having to be replaced , also does the train crew go the entire length of trip.
Posts: 28 | From: HUNTSVILLE,AL USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Amtrak There are 2 crews: Conductors/Engineers(T&E) & on board services(OBS). The T&Es go division point to division point. The OBS go origin to final destination. There are variations of this between the long hauls & short hauls. For instance on Surfliners The T&Es go LAX-SAN & return. OBS will stay w/ 1 train set between SAN & Goleta for 2-3 days w/ rest time off at end of trains run that day. On trains 3&4 T&E will go LAX-KNG & return next day to LAX. OBS will go LAX-CHI w/ rest layover b/4 return to LAX.
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was talking to a couple of crew members on the CZ who said they work a cycle of six days on (one round trip) and nine days off. I believe Coast Starlight crews do four days on and six days off.

Conductors and engineers are limited by law to no more than 12 hours at a time. They must have at least 8 hours rest between shifts. Sometimes if a train is very late they will reach that 12 hour limit before the next crew can be picked up. When that happens the train has to stop wherever it is until the relief crew can drive out to meet the train. This happened to me on my Starlight trip Memorial Day weekend. (See my travelogue in the Del Monte Club Car for details, the link is below.)

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page