RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Las Vegas Service

Author Topic: Las Vegas Service
tRailblazer
Member # 548

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for tRailblazer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, if there is already a board on this-I appologize and ask if somebody could please show me to it.

What's the latest on the proposed Los Angeles to Las Vegas service? Go? No Go? I know it will use the Talgo equipment similar to what's being used on the Cascades Corridor. Is this still the plan? When does amtrak plan to put the Vegas corridor into revenue service? The whole project seems to be dragging on at a sluggish rate. What station stops will it make?????Any other info????? Please share if you know! Thanks!

------------------
PL Dietze

Posts: 4 | From: Bakersfield, Ca. 93308 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Las Vegas reactivation is on "slow roll". The stumbling block is the construction of a second track on UP's Cima Hill in the Mojave Desert, to reduce delays due to heavy freight train use. There is concern that the additional track would negatively impact some wildlife areas in the desert, and an Environmental Impact Review/report is needed. This will take several months/a year.
My understanding is the train would follow the same route as the old Desert Wind (BNSF from LA to Daggett; UP from Dagget to Las Vegas). It is not clear where the Las Vegas terminal would be...it might go back to the [Union] Plaza downtown, which still has Amtrak paintings in the hotel.
My guess at station stops:
Los Angeles
Fullerton
San Bernardino
Victorville (?)
Barstow
Las Vegas

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page