RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » First time on a train...with kids...am I nuts!? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: First time on a train...with kids...am I nuts!?
Conifer
Member # 3623

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Conifer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay. I wanted to visit my dad in AZ (we live in MI) with my husband, son (4) and daughter (6 months). I didn't want to fly and driving would be really hard on our old, small car. So we thought A TRAIN. We were really excited! We booked coach seats we figured that they had to be at least better than a car seat. Now I am starting to get worried. I didn't realize that I only booked 3 seats until I got the tickets (my bad). The trip is going to be over 50 hours with my baby on my lap. The train is pretty much sold out and so are "upgrades". Since there are only 3 seats for us, someone is going to be sitting with a stranger. I am so full of questions...do they have changing tables, should I bring my daughter's carseat (one of those little carrier ones)? Do we choose are seats, where would be the best for us? I really want to do this. My son is so excited! I know that he will be fine. I just don't know if I can handle 3 days without a shower and a baby on my lap. What do I do if she just starts having a fit or won't sleep? Can you get off the train at a stop? I want this to be fun.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polarbearucla
Member # 2723

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for polarbearucla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Changing tables....hmm dont know about that

Do we chose seats...yes, although you might have assigned seat #'s but those simply are not used (its even official amtrak policy). So I'd get on early and find a group of seats together (hopefully a 4-some) and hope that no one wants to sit next to you.

No Sleep Question - kids usually fall asleep....but this might be a slight problem...there is the lounge car which has bigger chairs/a snack bar/some sort of TV/etc.. that might be an ok place to vent some energy

*******WARNING****** - Food. Unless you want to spend a lot of money (9 meals for 3 people each priced about 7 to 9 dollars in the dinning car) I'd bring some sort of food so that you can maybe skip one meal a day and have food to snack on.

Posts: 108 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bring the car seat. The six month old can sleep in it. There is usually enough space to put baby in car seat on the floor between your feet. Definitely consider the meal costs. Carry peanut butter, jelly or two, or other sandwich makings you like, loaf of bread, snack foods, bags of juices. Bottles with screw lids are good. Used to be in the diner that breakfasts and lunches were cheaper than suppers. You should be able to get bottles warmed.

What is your routing / destination of train / actual place you are trying to reach?
If you are starting in Michigan, then 50 hours to someplace in Arizona makes me thing Texas Eagle / Sunset Limited. Are you aware of the Sunset's horrible timekeeping? Be sure that whoever is meeting you knows to check on anticipated arrival time prior to heading out to go pick you up.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would consider inquiring about a sleeper with the conductor. See if she has had any cancellations for the evening, or something. Having taken trips that involved 2 nights in coach, and also having taken trans-Pacific flights to Thailand from the States, it has been my experience that i feel much more rested when I sleep in a fully reclined position (ie, not upright or even reclined). Having said that, you will find that the railway seats offer much, much more legroom than the present day coach seats in the air. You are free to select your seats, so, seeing as you are travelling with the youngsters, I would strongly advise that you get seats that are all in the same row, and board when/if they call for those travelling w/children. The restrooms have changing tables. I would strongly recommend that you take along the Wet-Naps, and something so that you can at least get in some method of freashening up while enroute.

Perhaps other Forum members can offer suggestions as to how to handle a child who won't sleep - I'm stumped. You are more than welcome to bring toys along, and something to keep the kids occupied What I can tell you is that there are several stops along the way where one can step on to the station platform and get a breath of freash air, along with a brief walk-about.

One additional word, now that I'm thinking of it: The tracks over which your particular train will travel are owned & maintained by the Union Pacific Railroad. in other words, the tracks aren't public in the same sense that our raods are public. The Private freight landlord railroad handles the traffic control and is responsible for all of the maintenance over the tracks. In several cases, this places Amtrak trains at the disadvantage, as certain frieght railroads are indifferent to downright hostile to Amtrak's presence over their tracks. In the case of this particular route, at this time the route is full of freight trains, and the TX & NM portions are swamped to overflowing - beyond capacity of trains. Be warned in advance that until UPRR gets enough track on this route, you may have for freights for a long time at certain sidings. Much of the route is single track, which means that if something happens to the trains in front of you, they can't detour or "drive on the shoulder" like what one could do on the highway. They just have to wait.

I'd bring along a cooler or something with some snacks as well. Unless you plan on eating everything in the diner (unlikly). make sure that whoever is meeting you at the station knows to call the toll free number and ask about the train's arrival time - this route is so clogged with traffic that the trains on this route have been hours upon hours late (not just Amtrak, but the freight as well).

------------------
Over 20,000 miles aboard Amtrak trains.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain.

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joefamily
Member # 892

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for joefamily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good choice for a trip and experience you won't forget. There are changing tables in the restrooms but you'll be going downstairs to them. You'll want to make the trip the next time when your baby is walking and can go on their own! Your son won't want to travel any other way for awhile. Get a foam "egg crate" that you would put on a twin size bed, cut it in half and you and your husband will be a lot more comfortable when you try to sleep. Tylenol PM too. The conductor will put you in car with other families, your son should have some playmates. If you have a laptop or small video player take it. What train are you taking? If it is the Texas Eagle you will be able to get off in Fort Worth if it is running on time for about 30 minutes. There is a Walgreens or something similar so you can replenish the snacks or whatever else you may need. Just get a taxi and have them take you there and back. Check your bags and carry on only what you need. Just a suggestion, if you want there are several ways to get back to Chicago from Az and pay the same fare, even get off a couple of times. You could take one train out and another back and stopover up to 3 times if you want. This is the real value of taking the train. This is an adventure. No whining by anyone and your trip will be a lot more fun. Your son will love it.
Posts: 22 | From: Little Rock, AR | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conifer
Member # 3623

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conifer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Thanks! We ARE going to be on the Texas Eagle. I noticed a lot of bad stories about this train on this forum. It looks like we are on the same train the whole time after CHI. I was wondering about the food prices..thanks. How much room do you have to store food on the train? What size cooler? Where are your carry ons stored? I would love to get another seat for my baby, but there are only like 2 seats left on the train and it would be very expensive. If they are still available when we board, can I buy her a seat at a discount? or should I just hope that no one wants to sit next to us? More questions...we have a laptop, is there a place to plug it in? What about a camera charger? Oh yeah, we will be in CHI for about 5 hours (I think, I'll have to check) should I plan on doing something there or should I wait to get the best seats?

Posts: 13 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Conifer - most of the others who have replied to you covered most of your questions, but here is my 2 cents worth. First of all, you will not really "be on the same train" all the way from Chicago to AZ -- you will be in a through car on the Texas Eagle, which is removed from that train and attached onto the westbound Sunset Ltd in San Antonio, TX (the Sunset originates in Florida and goes all the way to L.A. via New Orleans, Texas, and Arizona-New Mexico). Since you will be in a through car, you will not have to change cars. The Texas Eagle may not be too bad as far as lateness, but the Sunset is the real problem train, and it could be many hours late into San Antonio, which will delay you if you have to wait for it to come in and pick up the through car you will be in.

Both the Texas Eagle and the Sunset are double-deck Superliner trains. Your carry-ons can be stored in luggage racks in the lower level of your car right by the door, which is in the middle of the car. Concerning plugs for laptops -- someone else who has ridden more recently than I have may have to answer this. If you were in a sleeper, yes there would be a place to plug in a laptop or a camera charger. The coaches I don't know about........

Food prices in the diner are about the same as you would pay at a decent family restaurant. If you don't take all your meals in the diner, the lower level of the lounge car has an attended snack bar, where you can buy drinks, cookies, sandwiches, small pizzas, etc. at any time during your trip (provided the attendant is there and not on his/her meal break). The snack bar is typically open from early in the AM until 11 PM at night or so.

As someone else said, you may want to come back on a different train. That would be the Southwest Chief, which operates between L.A. and Chicago and goes through northern Arizona. The Chief is also a Superliner train, but typically operates much closer to schedule than the Texas Eagle/Sunset, and takes a more direct routing to Chicago. Where in Arizona is your ultimate destination?

OK, so I put in more than 2 cents -- have a GREAT trip!! Let us know how it went when you get back!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conifer
Member # 3623

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conifer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already have the tickets to go back. I booked them on the Amtrak website. They only gave me one option to travel there and back. Would they let me change the way I came back? How would I do this since the site only shows me one way? I am going to Benson, but we are traveling all over AZ so I could go home from a different city. I love hearing all of this input!
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call and speak to an agent who might be able to help you with a change on the return.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not be waiting for some hope of a an on-train Sleeper accomodation sale. I would be checking the web site daily looking for a Bedroom to open up. Forget the Roomette, it is too small for everybody, unless you have ideas of sleeping in shifts, or are prepared to book two of them.

For what it be worth, I believe Amtrak clears the system of expired reservations @ 3AM ET.

Keep trying, as Sleeper is the only way to go. Coach is simply an endurance contest, from which I believe would be difficult or impossible to find any travel enjoyment whatever in that experience.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth, I was 6 months old when my family (mom, dad, four kids, and lots of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches) took the first of many, many long distance train trips. We never traveled by sleeper. Always traveled in coach. We lived to tell the tale, and have many fond memories of those journeys. I suspect that you will, too.

With that said, some suggestions:

1) Bring small inflatable pillows, light blankets, sleep masks, and ear plugs (boarding or departing passengers sometimes "forget" that others are trying to sleep).

2) Some coach seat cushions are more comfortable than others. If you aren't assigned to specific seats before boarding, test out several before settling in. Your lower spine will thank you.

3) If possible, choose seats toward the center of the car for a smoother ride.

4) As your trip progresses, one or more of the train's coaches may gradually empty out. If your car remains packed, ask the conductor if it's okay to move to the less populated part of the train. Just be absolutely sure he/she is aware of your final destination, and remind crew members periodically after you move. Also be certain to take your seat-checks (the little cardboard cards that show your destination), and place them above your new seats.

5) Some Amtrak crews let passengers camp on the floor of the Sightseer Lounge car during the night. It's worth asking.

6) Never leave electronic stuff (cell phone, DiscMan, camera, laptop, etc.) in plain sight when you leave your seat or go to sleep.

7) As with long airline flights, the cleanliness of the toilets may deteriorate as the trip progresses. If the passengers in your car are slobs, try the toilets in the next car. The toilets designed for handicapped people get used less and tend to stay cleaner.

8) If your budget allows, eat at least one meal per day in the dining car (breakfast and lunch are the least expensive). Leave a few extra bucks as a tip.

9) When the conductor allows it, get off the train at various stations en route to stretch and enjoy some fresh air. Just stay near the train. Don't wander or you may get left behind.

10) Take frequent strolls through the train. It's a great way to stretch, "people watch," and make new acquaintances.

11) Print out the Texas Eagle route guide you'll find here:
www.trainweb.com/cgi-bin/top/tw_do.cgi?routes/route_21/21_9408.html

You'll have a great time. Just don't forget to look out the window (it's surprising how many passengers don't really bother). Seeing America is what it's all about.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 12-17-2004).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be brief.

You will have a great time. But I strongly recommend that you ask your doctor for prescription sleeping pills. You need your sleep and it can be difficult to get sleep on the train.

Secondly, go to Walmart and buy a product called "Wet Ones." It is an antibacterial disposable cloth and it will keep you and yours reasonably clean. There are nice changing tables in the bathrooms.

Thirdly, the *cheese* pizza in the cafe car is both edible, affordable and made with natural ingredients. It will not come back to haunt you.

Have a great trip and just go with the flow. Don't get upset. Life is too short.

Visit my website at www.freewebs.com/chucksville and sign my guestbook.

Cordially,

Chuck Reuben
(Proud Mayor of Chuckville, U.S.A.)

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 12-17-2004).]

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it too late to change trains? The Southwest Chief only takes 30 hours to get to Flagstaff and runs on time daily with excellent scenery and only one overnight. The Texas Eagle takes 52 hours to get to Benson 3 days/week and is usually many hours late and stands still alot.

Are you renting a car in Benson? Rental cars will meet you in the beautiful Flagstaff Depot and you can check baggage to Flag. Benson has a bench with a roof for a depot (very nice desert town though).

On the other hand, it is at least 6 hours drive from Flag to Benson and Flag has winter driving conditions (but good scenery) -and you have to get through Phoenix. Good connecting Amtrak Thruway bus service runs from Flag to PHX (airport) cheaply but you have to stay overnight (and it is cheap) in Flag.

West of Chicago you have a spacious coach seat plus the lounge car to expand into. There is plenty of room in the coach for luggage: the large immediate overhead luggage shelf at your seat plus another large remote luggage area on the lower level. There is even enough room on the floor for your baby seat. You are limited by rules to 2 carry-ons.

The lounge car has a variety of seating types on the upper level and table seating and food on the lower level. All rest rooms have changing tables the fold out of the wall. You are free to move between your coach seats and the lounge car as you wish.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conifer
Member # 3623

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Conifer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I'm going to call today to see if I can travel back on the SW Chief. Do you think that they will let me? It is sold out for the way down. My dad is taking us on a tour of AZ so we will be all over the place. You all are so great. I am taking a lot of your advice.
Another question- I want to bring a cooler for snacks (we plan on eating some of our meals in the dinning car) where do you put a cooler? What size cooler should I bring?
We are planning on having a great time. We normally travel by car twice a year to different parts of the US. We are hoping for a good experience. We think this would be an excellent alternative to driving 1,000 miles...we always drive straight through!

canoe86
Member # 3099

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for canoe86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have taken 2 overnight trips this year with a 2 and 6 year old. I think the other posters have made it clear how much nicer a sleeper is. We take coach from Battle Creek to Chicago and the kids are fine but a long coach trip might get ugly. So, contrary to another poster, who is correct in saying the Standard bedroom is to small, I would think about getting one anyway, if you can. That way you have a private room you can take advantage of if the kids OR adults get restless, AND at least someone will have a better night sleep.

Next, I will reiterate other posters in saying a DVD or laptop is a MUST!!! We are not big into movies and did not have one the first trip and regretted it. Something to think about with your laptop it may be bulky. Already you will have 2 kids and a bunch of bags to keep track of and the laptop will add to that. The DVD player can slide into the diaper bag and it is one less bag.

Food wise, again, all great advice form the posters on this board, as per normal. We of course brought along snacks too but one thing we found is the kids LOVE going to the snack car. The prices are not that bad in the snack car so plan on going there.

The second trip around we packed much lighter for the whole trip. If you need things in Arizona that would add a bag to the group, think about sending it UPS. Pack one small overnight bag for the whole clan and check the rest of the baggage. The lighter you can be getting on the train...the more enjoyable it will be and less frazzled.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Posts: 30 | From: michigan | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summer04
Member # 3086

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for summer04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last summer when I was taking my first train trip, the people on this board were so helpful, so I wanted to return the favor The train we went on was the Empire Builder, so if there are any differences between that train and the one that this poster is going on, please feel free to jump in and correct me!

We were in coach, and survived! lol Sleepers were just too expensive for us. My suggestion would be to try to be one of the first to get on the train so that you have a better chance of sitting together. We weren't able to at first, but we rearranged after people got off and ended up being able to sit together. On the way back, there were some seats reserved for families, so if they do that, that might make it easier for you. There were three of us traveling together, so the third person did sit with a stranger, but he enjoyed meeting and talking to new people. One of the things I didn't like going out, is they just let people sit wherever and there were all kinds of single seats, but never two together, much less three together in a row. On the way back, they were putting people in cars based on where they were getting off, so people getting on at those stops were able to find seats together.

As for food, I would suggest bringing some on board. The same old train food gets boring after awhile. Someone on here had suggested a collapseable cooler, which we got and was nice. I don't remember the size. It was on wheels, which made it easy to carry while at the train stations. We brought on sandwiches for supper the first night, donuts for breakfast, and ate lunch in the diner. We did get some meals from the lounge car too. I didn't think that prices were that unreasonable. They were probably comparable to restaurants that you would have to stop at if you were driving. We did lunch in the diner rather than dinner in the diner to get the experience at a cheaper price!! The price of food in the lounge car was more reasonable, but if you do that, go early so they don't run out of what you want to eat.

The nice thing about the train over the car is that you can walk around. I would suggest getting off at all of the smoke stops so that you can walk around the platform of the train stations. They usually announce the stops ahead of time, so you can be by the door and ready when they open them. That helped to break up the monotony of it all and to get some fresh air. Just stay close to the train so that it doesn't leave without you! Also, some of the stops were longer, and we always got off then to use the bathrooms in the station. There was just something nice about being able to use a bathroom that was a little bit bigger and wasn't swaying!!! LOL

Bring a blanket and pillows with you to help you sleep. One thing too, the first night everyone pretty much settled in and went to sleep when it got dark out. I thought that I would stay up, and go to sleep at my usual 10-11:00. The train was quiet then, but once the sun came up in the morning, people got up and started walking around, made noise, and they started announcing the seating for breakfast in the dining car. There was no way that I was able to sleep in the morning. So after that, when everyone else started going to sleep, so did I! lol On the second day it is much easier to fall asleep because you're so tired.

As for electronics, on our train there weren't any plugs at the seats, so people were running their laptops on battery, but there were places near the bathrooms and in the lounge car to plug in the battery chargers. The bad thing about that though, is that people had to sit there while the battery was charging to make sure no one took it. I would think that would be uncomfortable. Maybe bring a spare, fully charged battery if possible. Bring headphones for the laptop if you are doing that. I saw one mom use a movie in a laptop to entertain her sons. Bring plenty of stuff to do to entertain your son and yourselves. Also, bring a map. It's nice to know exactly where you are and where you're going.

I would think that there would be enough room for the baby carrier on the floor. You could probably put it by the feet of the 4 year old, since his legs probably won't need the floor space. There were plenty of babies on our train, and they did really well. Most of the time, the parents were holding them.

We checked some luggage and brought some on board. There was a place to put the suitcases by the bathrooms. But we put the stuff we wanted more accessible under the seat in front of us and in the overhead storage areas. There is a lot more room for this on a train than in an airplane.

Wear comfortable, elastic waisted clothes and slip on shoes. That makes it easier to put them on quickly to walk around the train.

One of the things I really enjoyed was meeting other people from around the country. We met all kinds of people from all walks of life and all ages. I always felt a little sad when people I had gotten to know got off and when we finally got off. You become close to these people quickly! There was one 12 or 13 year old boy travelling alone (not something I would advise!!) but everyone in the car pretty much took him under their wings and watched out for him. There was also a mom travelling alone with a bunch of kids. Another older gentleman sitting nearby was helping her out with the kids when they had to walk between cars and things. It's things like that that make train travel unique and valuable in this day and age.

Good luck and have fun on your trip!! Even though the train was always late, and I was tired and stinky after two nights on the train, I would do it again in a minute. It was so much fun!!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though I stand on my earlier position that overnight Coach travel is simply for someone else to experience (I HAVE done it in the course of my lifetime 250K miles of rail travels; one instance was about ten years ago when my Sleeper had to be set out en route), I am mindful of the old adiage 'to each his own'.

Two points I wish to note that actually apply to either class of service.

First, be certain that anytime your older child is away from the seat, he is wearing hard soled footwear. Kids seem to take their shoes and socks off at a moment's notice (e.g. I was less than a happy camper last Spring when my house was being reroofed and a neighbor's child ran into my backyard to 'see what was going on' - she had NO SHOES on and there were extracted nails all over the place. I carried her out of there and stood by while her Mother "checked her out'). What if anyone 'decides to explore' the next car and does so without footwear? Traversing the cars; that is the big problem.

I think this point is now covered in the pre-departure 'safety briefing' (yes, Amtrak has them too); common sense if not.

Secondly, if you choose to bring your own food and beverages, be mindful that in Coach, carry on beverages DO NOT include alcoholic beverages. Only those purchased from Amtrak may be consumed there (Sleepers, your private stock is fair game).

Otherwise Ms. Conifer, for better or for worse, it appears your plans are set. I wish you and your family well, even though I'm "uh, not exactly' saying, "I wish I could share the experience'.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 12-18-2004).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your dad lives in or around Benson, it should not be too inconvenient if your train is very late. Make sure he checks in with Julie, Amtrak's robotic princess, at 1-800-USA-RAIL to see how late the train is before he comes to meet you. The gravel space and bench in Benson can be very lonely at night. He should ask for 'Train Status' for train #21, or he can use the Amtrak website. I hate to say it, but several hours late is not out of the question on the UP Sunset route.

My daughter and I (we live in MN) stayed in Benson last year on our way from the SW Chief in Albuqueque to Phoenix, and I loved the town. I recommend a great cafe on the old highway going west that has an old car and Elvis theme to it.

In the future you might consider what I usually do in my annual AZ trip: SW Chief to ABQ, where there are cheap weekly car rentals (Hertz even pays your cab to the airport and allows drop-off at the depot). The days drive to AZ is very scenic, and you can go south to avoid snow if you need to. The train times at ABQ are very convenient.

A large cooler will fit in the lower level baggage area or in front of your seat -with no room left for your legs. A small cooler might fit in the overhead stowage -about 12" tall and very deep. Max size of your 2 allowed carry-ons per ticketed passenger is 28"x22"x14" and must have an id tag. Purses, briefcases, laptops, or cosmetic cases do not count as your 2 carry-ons, but a cooler will. There is no checked baggage to Benson (Tucson is the closest), but if you catch the SW Chief from Flag to CHI you can check any bags you do not need with you. You can do this the night before you leave also. It is a very early departure eastbound at Flag. You can run into severe winter driving conditions at Flagstaff, but it is rare.

Most people on this forum may think I am crazy, but I sometimes prefer coach even for sleeping (Roomettes are private, but very cramped). I use a compressable travel pillow to augment Amtrak's pillow to soften the hard spots. A hooded sweatshirt will dull the noise and keep you warm. Use LOOSE warm clothing that will allow all sorts of strange body contortions, and think of your seats as your nest on wheels as you snuggle in. Small children often sleep on the floor. If one of you sleeps in the lounge car on the triple seats or floor, you will have more room to spread out. You could even be lucky and have 2 vacant seats for each of you.

If your are patient and do not expect much in the way of service, the train can be a wonderful adventure. We all get so enthused about giving you advice because we love trains. But you now owe us a trip report when we get back. Good luck.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re changing tickets: I think you should be able to change less expensively if you do it before you start your trip. Technically there is still a fee but if you phone Amtrak and explain to the agent that the new website didn't offer you the SW Chief option and you are traveling with children and so on and so forth, they might waive or reduce the fee. Of course, this will depend on whether there is room and how far in advance you make your change.

Extra pillows are a great idea, and be sure to wear lots of layers in case you get stuck somewhere cold or hot, so you can put things on or take them off as needed. And a hat and gloves. I always carry one more pair of warm socks in a handy place to put over my others, just in case, because I like to take my shoes off when I sleep.

I like a little silky eye mask but instead of ear plugs I bring a Walkman and play soothing music to sleep to; also extra batteries in case they run out. With children, you might consider a deck of cards too--I have an Amtrak deck I bought on the train! I also like having a map of the route and a list of the stops or beter yet, a more descriptive short itinerary.

I always try to travel as light as possible so, for food, instead of a heavier cooler, you might consider one of those thermal bags. Peanut butter and jelly or hummus on pita keep pretty well without good refrigeration, and hard cheese isn't so bad either, for your meals earlier in the trip. I also bring granola bars, fruit, celery and carrot sticks and plenty of napkins. I usually eat only breakfast in the dining car when traveling coach--if possible, I like to time it so that I'm sitting at the windows there and watch the sunrise! I just had it on the Crescent--eggs, grits or home fries, coffee, and juice were $6/person plus tip.

I don't know about sleeping pills, afraid to use them, but I do always take some aspirin or Tylenol when I travel.

Have a great trip!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is NO FEE (!) now for cancelling your reservation and making a new one. I just did it a few minutes ago. Amtrak refunds the full amount to your credit card. You just have to take what you get with the new reservation though,losing some advantage of advance purchase. So try it and good luck!! (Make your new reservations first).
Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's good news. But isn't there a fee if you've already picked up your tickets (in advance) and go back to change them?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Something tells me that there is "discretion' regarding the assessment of that service fee, especially if a passenger is committing to equal or greater transportation over the same route.

On an October trip Chi to Stamford Ct, I made a change to accommodate a Dinner stop off in Phila, only additional charge was the "step up' between the WAS-STM fare and that of WAS-PHL; PHL-STM.

In short I paid nothing more than had I originally booked the Phila stop off - and I did surrender four pieces of Blue Grey paper and got five in exchange (whoops, actually six; one more for the additional collection).

dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that it seems to depend on the mood of the Amtrak agent. Maybe it's because I showed up in person at a station ticket window, rather than deal with a faceless voice on the phone. But I've managed to change many tickets over the years, sometimes to a different day, and other times to a completely different route. I've also requested refunds for tickets I didn't use, long after the travel date printed on them. But I've never been charged a fee or penalty.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 12-19-2004).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conifer
Member # 3623

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Conifer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for more advice! Twinstarrocket-Do you mean that I will be unable to check my baggage for my trip? That would be really difficult. We will be in AZ for 2 weeks. I need to bring my daughters fold up crib and stuff. I thought checked baggage was a givin.
I will definately write up a trip report. Look for it in a few weeks We took my son to see Polar Express today...he can't wait to ride a "real live train!"

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
According to the Amtrak System Timetable, there is no checked baggage service available at Benson. Your bags would have to be carried to Tucson and you would have to go and retrieve them as well as "do without'what is packed therein until you are able to get there.

Further, if you are using the through Coach switched at San Antonio between trains, that "train' is identified by Amtrak as #421. That number should appear on your Chicago to Benson ticket coupons.

I think this absence of checked baggage for those who are "travail and heavy laden' should be "the last straw' and while you are still able, find other means to get out there.

I realize I have just committed heresy at a rail forum.

Since you are traveling Coach, you need not be concerned with any forfeited accomodation charges, while I'm not certain, most coach tickets, except those obtained through their Rail Sale program, are refundable. Simply check the ticket's face. If non refundable, it will say so.

A great idea, especially if you are "obliged' to deliver on a "promise' to your boy for a train ride, would be to take the guestimated $800 you have tied up, and deliver with a trip in a Bedroom at a later date. The Chi-Mpls-Northern MT-Glacier Park-Seattle (roundly follows US2 through MT) is a highly reliable train and runs Daily. Ride it and back as far as whatever sum you can sensibly commit will take you. If "going South" is your "thing', The City of New Orleans is also quite reliable with exceptionally attentive on-board service.

In completely good faith, I believe you have walked into a travel situation involving the most unrelaible train Amtrak operates at a peak travel period and that I believe you are going to regret. I urge you to "think twice'.

Unlike all too many others around here, my e-mail is no secret:

gbnorman@chicagonet.net

At this time, Ms. Conifer, whatever happens I wish you well. You appear to be a decent and intelligent human being. My only wish in hindsight was that you visited this Forum earlier than you chose to.

Good luck, Godspeed, Merry Christmas if applicable; Seasons Greetings if not.

Conifer
Member # 3623

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Conifer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if I just got of in Tucson instead? Would they let me do that? It isn't far from Benson. I wish I would have found this forum sooner too. We are still going on the trip. I am determined to have a good time!!!
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
I believe you can always get off at an earlier stop. Just make sure your baggage is being checked to the stop you are getting off!!!

Would it still be possible to send some of your equipment UPS to your father? Or maybe to have him just buy or rent a simpler crib for use down there, or borrow one from someone nearby? Maybe if he contacted a nursery school or something, he could find something?

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Likely Amtrak will want an additional collection for the difference in fare between Benson and Tuscon (50 miles).

Here is a chance for either your Mother or Father to see 'what you all have had to put up with' so that "We Three Kings of Orient are, Bearing gifts we traverse a far..." can truly ring at the household. One could drive, the other ride with you.

With some 250K lifetime rail travel mileage first starting during 1946 (I'm hardly the champ; there is a Member here, ChrisG, who has about 840K - and he is much younger than I), I hope I can be of help. You remain welcome to contact me privately.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 12-20-2004).]

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Checked baggage may also not be available between MI and CHI. I am not familiar with those trains but I do not see it indicated on the schedule.

You can print the timetables for your trains from the Amtrak website: Routes > Schedules brings up a printable Adobe schedule. Stations with a small suitcase symbol have checked baggage -none between El Paso and Tucson.

If you choose to use Tucson, keep in mind that this train is often late and the actual arrival could be in the middle of the night. I don't think you can check baggage to a station unless you are ticketed to that station, but if changing tickets is a problem you can always buy an additional ticket from Benson to Tucson and check baggage thru (at least they have let me do this in the past).

canoe86
Member # 3099

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for canoe86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The train we take from Battle Creek to Chicago does not have checked baggage. Instead. It is stored at either end of the coach. The folks on the train are helpful but it is a lot less hassle to cut down the bags you are taking!!!!
Posts: 30 | From: michigan | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Canoe86, does that mean you may be allowed more than the 2 carry-ons on Michigan trains where there is no checked baggage?

I just checked the last 2 arrival times for train #421 into Tucson on the 16th (3:55am) and 18th (8:42am) vs. scheduled time of 9:57pm. Benson would be comparably late. Three nights for the price of 2!

[This message has been edited by TwinStarRocket (edited 12-20-2004).]

joefamily
Member # 892

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for joefamily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keeping up with all the advice will be a daunting task. You might rethink the cooler and just pack things that requires no ice, dried fruit, cookies, peanut butter, drink pouches, bottle water will be imperative. You can get a cup of ice in the cafe car if needed. We went to Phoenix/Maricopa from Little Rock last year the week after Christmas. The train ran on time both ways, I think the freight was taking the week off. When you get out in West Texas be on the lookout for wildlife, deer, antelope etc. In Dallas, as the train is pulling out of the station you'll pass by the plaza where JFK was assassinated and when you go out of El Paso you'll get a glimpse of how the third world live. A very telling social commentary. Take several books you've been wanting to read. Be sure to take a meal or two in the diner. My favorite is breakfast. There's nothing like rolling along at 60+ mph watching the scenery go past. If you are determined to have a good time, you will.
Posts: 22 | From: Little Rock, AR | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
While I respect the privity of Ms. Conifer and family's itinerary (of which I have no actual knowledge), it should be noted that if her intent is to arrive at Benson prior to X-Mas, she and her family departed on 421(21) today.

That train's progress can be followed at the website.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 12-21-2004).]

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe, I didn't realize those sights were along the Sunset route. Makes me want to order a ticket.

So many destinations, so little vacation time. Sigh.

------------------
A sitting duck is lying down.
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conifer
Member # 3623

Rate Member
Actually we leave the day after Christmas. It will be nice to get out of 6 degree weather for a while! I will let you all know how it went when I get there...hopefully in one piece
Thanks so much for the input. You all are very helpful!

joefamily
Member # 892

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for joefamily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those sights are on the Texas Eagle route. As far as presidents, you pass through Springfield, Il, Little Rock and Hope, Ar, Dallas (Jfk assassinated) and Austin, Tx. The other part of the trip I mentioned was the border west of El Paso. The track practically runs next to the fence keeping the people on the other side. Maybe Reagan shouldn't have stopped with the Berlin wall...it is a powerful sight and one all the citizens of the United States should see.
clwood
Member # 3297

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for clwood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Conifer, I've done several train trips with small children. This past summer I went from our home in Wisconsin to Washington, DC, with my 8 and 4 year-old daughters. In 2003 we went all the way to Vancouver, BC. We've been to Chicago several times (about a 5 hour trip for us). My advice is to always, always carry snacks. I have gotten on a train with a 2 year-old and been told the only available dinner reservation was 9:45 and the snack bar has closed. Snacks don't have to be fancy. One of my biggest hits was the baby carrots that can be purchased pre-washed in the produce section of most groceries, served with ranch dressing that I bought as a carton of 4 individual little tubs. I bring along a few cans of Fresca to drink, just one for each of us one-way, and try to buy a few cans at my destination for the return trip. Fresca is sugar-free, so it's not sticky, it's colorless, so it doesn't stain, and it has a pleasant grapefruit aroma. My kids don't get a lot of soda pop, so it's also a treat for them and can be used as a bribe. I bring along Lever 2000 body wipes. They help with the lack of bathing and are agreeably mild to the skin of most adults and children. There is a line of markers and gel fingerpaints that only mark on special paper, available either blank or in coloring books. I always bring a good supply of those. On the train we each carry a backpack with overnight supplies and a small blanket, and my girls each bring a Walkman. I also bring a small rolling carry-on into which I put my laptop, CDs and DVDs, any important papers, and my handbag. The girls can use the headphones from their Walkmans to listen to movies on the lap-top when they get tired of looking out the windows. I have a little splitter that cost $6 at Target that enables both to plug in headphones at the same time. This little device is worth its weight in gold, or possibly diamonds. Our snacks are put into a collapsible cooler that I fold up and put into the carry-on when we are done with it. When we are getting on or off the train we each carry our own backpacks. I take the carry-on, and my old daughter takes the cooler, which has a shoulder strap. The folding cooler is an idea I found here. Just don't put too much in it, as you don't want your helper to suddenly decide it's too heavy. I check any other luggage, What I've described is plenty to be personally hauling around. Remember that sometimes you may have to walk a long way from the depot to your coach, the weather may be bad, and your children might not be behaving. You will have to bring on lots of diapers, of course. I would leave them on the downstairs luggage rack, as you have to go downstairs to change the baby anyway.
Posts: 51 | From: La Crosse, WI, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
If your Father is "on-line", Ms. Conifer, he can track the progress of your train at the Amtrak website 'Check Train Status' feature.

The through cars in which you will be riding are identified as Train #421, both in the computer and with the automated voice recognition "Julie' system.

Lastly, as of a few moments ago, and of course subject to prior sale, there is one Roomette open on #421 departing Dec 26. I think you know my advice regarding this matter.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 12-22-2004).]

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Conifer:

Don't let the sleeper promoters scare you. Coach does fine. We did it for one night plus day with three kids, but it was 30 years ago now. Since there is the possibility of roaming room, in some ways you actually have more space than in a sleeper. It is a whole lot easier than a long trip in a car. No "always buckle up" means that everyone is more unchaged. It is easier young, but I have done nights in coaches in the post 50 age frame with no real difficulty. Nothing against going by sleeper, just a question of availability and or ready cash.

A railroad coach trip is a whole lot easier than the same time or even half or one-fourth the time in a plane. And then, you have the money to do something else with, or you avoid spending money you do not really have. I know when our children were in the growing up years, there was never any problem about what to do with any extra money, because there wasn't any to do anything with.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Ms. Conifer, I believe you should be advised that Train 421(21) arrived Benson 237AM Dec 24, or some 6.5 hours late.

While past performance should not be considered indicative of future results, I report this as an FYI.

Allow me to reiterate that should your Mother or Father choose to check the "status" of your train, it is identified both at at the website and with the "Julie" system as Train 421.

An additional point that could affect your return trip (also your going, but I do not believe likely) is that you could be provided substitute charter bus transportation from San Antonio to Dallas (275 miles). This "bustitution" (not an official Amtrak term BTW) is done whenever Train #2, the train to which your #422 cars are attached, LA-San Antonio,is expected to arrive San Antonio, say, more than three hours late. You would then rejoin your train at Dallas. The hard facts of life are that a bus over the Interstates can easily 'beat the train'. Under extreme conditions, say maybe nine hours late, the "bustitution'will start at El Paso - some 675 miles from Dallas.

Just thought you should know the above. If for some reason I'm mistaken, others will be quick to "chime in".

Lastly, even though absent duress I would not contemplate any such trip, I wish you and your family well. As noted earlier, expect nothing but a ride from Amtrak. Hopefully the cohesion of your family unit will somehow make this a bearable experience.

Bon voyage!!!!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page