RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Grandma needs advice on No. Calif. trip with grandkids

Author Topic: Grandma needs advice on No. Calif. trip with grandkids
GrandmaLinda
Member # 3666

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrandmaLinda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, just found this great website. I am an Amtrak train lover & frequently travel San Diego to L.A. just for the heck of it-sometimes with my grandchildren. I've always to spend the nite on the train & want to take 2 granddaughters (10 and 8) on an overniter to Seattle, Wash. in June. We'll stay at a B&B for 4 days & return on the train. The girls are so excited!! Any recommendations, advice? Do you think Amtrak may come up with a promotion? Is this a good route for view, etc.?
Posts: 20 | From: Carlsbad, Calif. USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like perhaps a family bedroom would be your best bet. It has two adult sized bunk beds and two kid sized bunks. It also has the advantage of having windows on both sides of the car (though they are smaller than in other rooms). Reserve early as there is only one family room per car, and they sell out fast.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxmarch
Member # 2495

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second the idea of a family bedroom... very much.

If the grandaughters are still young... let's say less than 10 years old, you could get by with a standard sleeper.

Posts: 43 | From: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrandmaLinda
Member # 3666

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrandmaLinda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the suggestions! I knew you guys would come through for me. I haven't booked the trip yet but my fare is based on a roomette with 3 beds which is supposed to be suitable for 3 adults. Since my granddaughters are 8 & 10, I figured they could easily sleep there (even if one bed is made from a sofa sleeper). The fare quoted is $1336. for the 3 of us ($310. for the rail fare & $1026. for a room for 2 nights and food for 2 days). We can fly to Seattle round trip for the rail fare but of course, that's not the point, is it. I didn't know you could get a larger room which had 2 windows. Think I'll look into that. Any more comments?
Posts: 20 | From: Carlsbad, Calif. USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrandmaLinda:
I haven't booked the trip yet but my fare is based on a roomette with 3 beds which is supposed to be suitable for 3 adults.

Uh, I think we need to clarify Amtrak's room terminology.

A Roomette is a very small room suitable for one or two persons. There is no way it could be suitable for three*. It contains two seats that face each other. The lower seats fold out to make one bed, and a second bunk folds down from above to make a second bed. The Roomette was, until recently, called a "Standard bedroom."

A Bedroom is capable of supporting up to three people. It contains a long sofa style seat and an armchair. The sofa unfolds into a fairly wide bed that can sleep two small to average sized people who want be very cozy. An upper bunk folds down from the top for another single bed. The Bedroom also has a private toilet/shower compartment and a sink. Until recently it was called a "Deluxe Bedroom." A partition between two Bedrooms can be opened to make a suite.

If you were to get Roomettes, you would require two Roomettes, preferably directly across the hall from each other. This can be requested from an Amtrak agent. Opposite room pairs are 3&4, 5&6, 7&8, 9&10, 11&12, 13&14. 11-14 are on the lower level. If you get a Bedroom, you would only need one. Bedrooms are assigned letters instead of numbers, A-E. A is slightly smaller than the others.

The Family Bedroom mentioned earlier is room F.

*As an aside, my family took two Roomettes (then caled Standard Bedrooms) to Denver a few years ago. Upon our descent out of the Rockies we actually managed to cram all four of us into one room to see the sights. Don't try this for an entire trip.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 01-13-2005).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrandmaLinda
Member # 3666

Rate Member
After looking at the Amtrak website again, I realize I did not ask for a roomette, merely a bedroom. Looking at the picture of a bedroom (the least expensive), it looks rather pathetic. I'm not even sure it has a window. The family bedroom adds another $180. on to the fare of this 5 star "hotel" but hey, it's just money. Might be worth it to have that much more room and two windows. Anyone stay in a bedroom before with more than 2 people? Wonder if I can look through the Coast Starlight the next time I go to L.A., that is, IF I can get to L.A. on the train again.
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
The "Bedroom" is actually the most expensive. The "Roomette" is the smallest and least expensive, but is only good for two people.

All rooms have windows.

Have you seen this page: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1080080554190&pagename=Amtrak%2Fam2Copy%2FTitle_Image_Copy_Page&c=am2Copy Click the links to the Superliner rooms (The first group of rooms listed). Each page has a virtual tour that shows each type of room in both daytime and nighttime configurations. They also show room dimensions.

Here is another useful link, which shows the floor plans of Amtrak sleeping cars. http://trainweb.org/crocon/sleeperplans.html The Superliner diagrams are the two in the middle, showing upper and lower levels. To help you understand the scale, the cars are a tad over 10 feet wide, and they are 85 feet long.

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also recommend the family bedroom. It has no private toilet and shower like the bedroom, but the toilets and shower shared by the roomette passengers are right outside.

I have fit my 2 children into the lower berth in a roomette. It works if they don't mind sharing a 2' 4" wide bed. Day use is close to unbearable for 3 in a roomette, as there is little floor room between the two facing seats. It works if you spend days in the lounge. The 3rd person did not get the free meals in a roomette.

All types of sleeping compartments include very good free meals. None of the upper berths have windows and are very close to the ceiling. As noted earlier, the family bedroom spans the width of the train so it has windows on either side.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clwood
Member # 3297

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for clwood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linda, I have travelled several times on Amtrak with my 2 kids. Most recently, we travelled from Wisconsin to Washington, D.C., in coach to Chicago, then in a deluxe bedroom, now called a bedroom. That was last June, when the girls were 4 and 9. The year before, we took the Empire Builder from Wisconsin to Seattle, in a family bedroom westbound and in 2 standard sleepers, now called roomettes, eastbound. On the latter trip my mother travelled with us, so we were a party of four.

The family bedroom has the most space, and is the one I'll go for again. It also has 2 little work tables, so each child can have her own space to color or do Leggos, which can become VERY important at times. The bathroom is down the hall, but it is much less utilized than the upper level one, so it is not such a big deal. The deluxe bedroom was fine during the day, but very cramped at night. My mattress kept sliding off and making even less of the cramped floor space. On the other hand, one of my kids had diarrhea one night, and it sure was convenient having the bathroom inside the room with us. The standard bedrooms were a bust, in my opinion. We were on the upper level, and the common toilet got incredibly filthy and stinking. Both girls kept wanting to stay together, so either me or my mom tended to have three in our tiny room. We weren't across the hall from each other, as our ticket agent had told us we'd be. The train was hot. I felt claustrophobic, and I usually don't. The idea of a 2-bedroom suite, which Amtrak seems to be promoting more these days, sounds grand, but the price is way out of my league.

Posts: 51 | From: La Crosse, WI, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrandmaLinda
Member # 3666

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for GrandmaLinda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks one and all ....I agree now the Family Bedroom for the 3 of us is the way to go and worth the additional $180. I didn't see 2 fold down tables, Clwood, but maybe they're there-a necessary for 2 kids. I love how this room goes all the way across and has two windows. Questions: I've read some recommendations we take pillows, egg crate mattress pads, etc.-you agree? Also, what is the difference between a superliner, a viewliner? We'll be on the Coast Starlight-what is that one? I read somewhere that some trains show movies-does this one? (no big deal, I'll have my laptop and can show DVD's). I could tell you what to take on a cruise ship but am at a loss as to overnight on a train-any ideas other than snacks and a deck of cards? Also, think Amtrak might come up with a promo to attract and reward customers after the closures in Calif.?
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All long distance trains in the west are bi-level Superliners, and will have movies in the lounge car. Viewliners are single level trains used in the east. There is a wonderful additional lounge car called the Pacific Parlor car on the Coast Starlight.

I would guess all the things you have heard about extra pillows and egg crate mattresses were in reference to travelling in coach overnight. A bedroom will have adequate mattresses and full pillows.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page