RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Mr. Toy, got another question for you......

Author Topic: Mr. Toy, got another question for you......
GrandmaLinda
Member # 3666

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrandmaLinda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the Grandma who is taking her 2 granddaughters from L.A. to Seattle, roundtrip,in June. Everyone recommended a Family Bedroom and you linked the bedroom plans on the Superliner, lower level. Are F and H both Family Bedrooms? What is the difference between each one and which is the best?
Posts: 20 | From: Carlsbad, Calif. USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not Mr. Toy, but I know the answer, after having worked as an attendant in these rooms for over 20 years. The "H" room used to stand for "Handicapped" a politically incorrect term now, though still accurate. "F" is the Family room or #15 downstairs in any Superliner Sleeper. Both rooms have windows on BOTH sides of the car, however toilet facilities are only available in the "H" room. It's just that there are more beds in the "F" room, including kid-size beds. Sorry for answering for Mr. Toy, but this is accurate info, GranMa.

[This message has been edited by Railroad Bob (edited 01-18-2005).]

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrandmaLinda
Member # 3666

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for GrandmaLinda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob, thankyou very much for taking the time to respond. I'll make reservations tomorrow for the Coast Starlight. We'll be leaving from L.A. to Seattle on June 20th and returning June 27th. Which of the rooms would you recommend that I reserve-or can you? My granddaughters are 8 and 11. I've traveled frequently (short 2 hr. trips) on Amtrak with my grandkids just so they have the wonderful experience of traveling on a train but this is the first overnighter. None of their friends have ever been on a train. Frankly, I can see why.....I can't believe how expensive it is! This is half the price of a one week Disney Cruise I took the girls on 2 yrs. ago-you guys are really in love with trains!
Posts: 20 | From: Carlsbad, Calif. USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Book the Family room ("F"). It has two full-size beds and two shorter beds for children (your 8-year-old should fit comfortably). Bathroom facilities are "down the hall", but since you'll be on the lower level, they're not very far away.

Be prepared for the train to be late. If you're being met by anyone, make sure they know how to contact Amtrak or use Amtrak's Web site to determine train status.

Other than that, the sleeping cars are especially worth the price on the Coast Starlight because of the Pacific Parlour Car, a lounge car for first class passengers only, which has wine tastings and activities. Of course, your meals are also included. Expensive, but worth it!

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YOW! I just checked fares for family bedrooms, and got sticker shock. For your dates, the family room is now about $100 more each way than a "bedroom" and almost $200 more than two "roomettes." Given that, you may want to consider one of those other options if cost is a concern.

If you are a AAA member, be sure to tell the agent when you make your reservation. AAA memebrs got a 10% discount on most rail fares (i.e. the cost of the transportation. Discount does not apply to room charges).

------------------
"Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous patience." -- Hyman Rickover
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrandmaLinda
Member # 3666

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrandmaLinda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rresor: Thanks for the recommendation of F, will do. We're leaving from Oceanside to L.A., which takes about 2 hrs and the Surfliner is never late. The Coast Starlight is supposed to leave around 1-2 hrs. later so I'm not concerned. We will have someone to pick us up in Tacoma. We're supposed to arrive at 7 pm. I hope it's not late. I am concerned with returning to L.A., however. If the Coast is late, we'll miss the last Surf train south so I better have a backup plan.
Mr. Toy: Yeah, I couldn't believe it either. Cost for the 3 of us is $1506.80 for literally 2 nites on the train, and how many meals?, transportation, some cheap wine, a movie and a newspaper. And no jacuzzi. Plus tips. I'm 62 and qualify for their discount so not sure AAA would be any better but I'll check it out. I was also going to make the reservations over the internet but will see if it's any cheaper via a live person.

GrandmaLinda
Member # 3666

Rate Member
I just phoned Amtrak and spoke to an agent (most helpful!!). In addition to the info. you guys already gave me, he said there was a "kiddie car" for the children with videos, tables, etc. He said the Parlour Car was the same as the Lounge Car and even tho breakfast is over when we board at 10:10 am, there would be a continental breakfast there. He checked AAA rate vs Senior rate and Sr. rate is better. Same price as on the internet. Are there a lot of problems with the Coach pax sneaking into the Parlour Car?
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrandmaLinda:
Are there a lot of problems with the Coach pax sneaking into the Parlour Car?

No. The Parlour car is separated from the coach section by the diner.

The kids play room is on the lower level of a coach, usually car 1412 northbound, 1114 southbound.

And, thanks to Union Pacific, the train is likely to be late, so be flexible. (Think of it as extra time free.)

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrandmaLinda
Member # 3666

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for GrandmaLinda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know they're separated but you can walk from one car to another, lower level and upper so what's to keep the Coach pax from going thru the diner to the Parlour? Does everyone wear wristbands or sumpthin'? If you act like you belong there, who's to know? I was surprised to hear the agent say that if the Coast would be up to an hour late, they would hold the Surf for us. If we missed it, they would provide a bus to our home station. No thanks, I'll stay in L.A. and leave the following day. (I'll bet there are no Greyhound Bus forums!)
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can only walk from car to car on the upper level. The sleeping car attendants and the Parlour Car attendant, when they are around, have a pretty good idea of who belongs in the PC and who doesn't. There is also a Sightseer Lounge that is available for everyone.

On at least one occasion when I had a friend riding in Coach, after asking the Parlour Car Attendant, I was able to bring my friend into the PC for a drink or two. I tend to tip pretty well so I suspect that helped.

Have a great trip!

Frank in balmy SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dont be a cheapy, I paida few hundred extra for the right to be in the parlour car. And for the sleeper.

You WILL be caught one way or another, I guarantee it.

And...Your agent didnt know what he was talking about, the
lounge is a normal Superlienr Sightseer Lounge for ALL passengers, the parlour car is an old Santa Fe car that has been re-done for the starlight.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
The sleeping car attendants and the Parlour Car attendant, when they are around, have a pretty good idea of who belongs in the PC and who doesn't.

As do the dining car staff, who keep a pretty close eye on who passes through.

GrandmaLinda
Member # 3666

Rate Member
Please don't get me wrong, CoastStarlight99, I have NO intention of not getting a sleeper. I was merely asking about the other folks. That answered my question about some stranger sneaking into the sleepers.... my experience with trains has been with the Surfliner and another train which ran during the 50's. I often took it from Santa Ana to San Francisco all by myself to visit my aunt and uncle. Oh, those were the days. I'll be sure and post a trip report when we return around the first week in July.
p.s. Balmy here, too, sbalax. Highest temp. on record in San Diego today-87 degrees.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We matched you, Grandma! 87 here today to. A record. And a week or so ago we were getting slammed with storm after storm and were cold by Southern California standards.

BTW, I just hear a train horn! Perhaps the tracks are open somewhere along the coast.

Frank in still balmy at 11:23PM SBA.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GrandMa, you'll only need a wristband to get the cheap wine, to prove you are over 21. And the LA Greyhound station is in a particularly lovely part of LA, down on 7th and San Julian near the "Nickel." If you're comfortable around that crowd, I'm impressed. Seriously, the Days Inn near Chinatown is a nice clean hotel if you have to layover in LA, and only a few minutes walf from the station...wish I could share summa dat cheap wine wit you!

RB

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Or "walk" if you haven't drank any cheap wine...
GrandmaLinda
Member # 3666

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for GrandmaLinda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RRBob, thanx for the suggestion re. the flea hotel but my boyfriend lives in Beverly Hills & I'll stay with him, if we miss our train. I take the train up there frequently to visit him. Sounds like you know your way around the shadier side of L.A. (the nickel?)-am sure you'll find lots of guys down there willing to share some cheap wine with you. Personally, I prefer champagne.
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GM, oh I don't go there much, but I have read a lot of Bukowski, the LA "sage of skidrow" writer who did acheive a bit of fame. Mickey Rourke played the Bukowski role in a movie called "Barfly." Oh, the "Nickel" refers to 5th St., where it intersects with the skid row cross streets. Interestingly enough, the true flophouse and flea bag hotels down there used to be legitimate places for RR passengers transferriing between trains in LA, in the days before Union Station was built (1939.) And the Days Inn in Chinatown is actually quite clean and safe, and used by lots of todays Amtrak passengers. Not a "flea," as you say.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page