RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » ENGINEER DISTANCE

Author Topic: ENGINEER DISTANCE
JWB7400
Member # 1206

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for JWB7400     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the engineer on the sunset ltd go all the way from Jax,Fl to Mobile Al before there
is a crew change ,how many miles is that and how long does it take.Also,how long does he stay before he goes back?

Posts: 28 | From: HUNTSVILLE,AL USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak engineers are paid by the hour, not by distance. Assignments are determined by the Federal Hours of Service law, which limits train crews to 12 continuous hours on duty and requires an eight-hour rest before they can work again.

Amtrak generally plans for a 10-hour workday for engineers. This determines the locations of crew change points, and a 10-hour scheduled work time allows for some lateness. So yes, I believe engineers work from Jacksonville to Mobile.

I do know that Amtrak engineers work from Washington to Florence, SC and then from Florence to Miami, which is a longer distance than Jax-Mobile but about the same in hours.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page