RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trip Report: 2 kids, coach (am I nuts!?)

Author Topic: Trip Report: 2 kids, coach (am I nuts!?)
Conifer
Member # 3623

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conifer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, thanks for reminding me to post. I've been out with the flu for a while and I almost forgot. Anyway, you guys were so helpful on our trip. If you don't remember me, I am the one that was taking Amtrak from MI (GRR) to AZ (BEN) in coach with a 4 year old, 6 month old, and my husband. Well, we made it and in one piece. Actually we had a lot of fun (when we were on the train). What I mean by that is that the train was very late leaving from CHI. We had to wait for several hours with 2 kids at the station. Lucky that CHI has a kids play room. Everything was late that day and the waiting area was packed. They finaly called our train to board, but they never called for priority boarding. I had my daughter in her carseat in one hand, a diaper bag on one shoulder, my son's backpack on the other shoulder, and I was holding my sons hand. We managed to swim through the crowd of people waiting for their trains, but my husband could not get through. No one would let him. The security gaurd (finally, at my request) let him come in a different gate because there was no other way! Walking to the train a woman slipped on a patch of ice and landed on my baby carrier (with my baby inside) I fell with the carrier on the ground. My baby was okay. Okay enough complaining. They were just in a mess with all of the late trains. It was a nightmare.
We were so happy to be finally on the train!!!. Once we were on the train we had a really good time. I was surprised how much room that you have. They gave my daughter her own seat and everything. We did not pack enough food and drinks. My son had fun and he slept just fine. I wish they would have shown more familly friendly movies in the lounge. My daughter was content. She woke up around 5:00 am every night (not crying, just talking) I took her to the lounge and talked to other early risers.
The way back was a little weird. The train was late picking us up. We packed more food this time. We thought that we had the train thing down. We were having a good time, then they announced that we were going to have to take a bus for part of the trip (12hrs)!!! We squashed onto a bus. The hardest part of the whole thing was luggage. If I had to do the whole thing over, I would pack less...a lot less. Everything was a carry on because there was no checked baggage where we were going. My husband had to lug 6 suitcases on and off the train. Luckily the 12 hrs on the bus was at night and the kids slept through most of it. When we finally got back on the train we were happy again. The views were great. My son met a little friend in the lounge. We ate in the dinning car. It was all good. We got to CHI and had a totally different experience. A red hat helped my husband with all of our bags and brought us to the priority seating area. We ate dinner and it was time for us to get back on the train. The red hat helped us again and everyone was so nice. The conductor on the train back to GRR was really nice. He came out and talked to my 4 year old and let him wear his hat. Then he punched his name into a seat check card (like on the Polar Express) He even gave him a little bottle of soda. We finally got back to GRR and we were happy to be home.
Conclusion: Amtrak is fun. We will try it again. A little shorter trip next time. Maybe not this route. I'm going to do more research before I book the next trip.
thanks!

Posts: 13 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great posting, Conifer!

What an adventure. You certainly paid your dues (and passed the initiation phase.) I predict that all your future travels on Amtrak will be much more pleasant!

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

Cordially,

Chucky ( www.freewebs.com/chucksville )

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the wonderful world of train travel! Glad to hear things went well enough for you to do it again. I think you handeled the delays pretty darn well for a newbie!
Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Conifer, thank you for checking in. I'm glad most things went well and you enjoyed it. Looks like Amtrak made a new customer.

I assume the bus leg was a result of the Sunset's lateness. They've recently re-done the Sunset schedule so perhaps its timekeeping will improve.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though I would sooner stay at home than travel Coach, I am very pleased to learn, Ms. Conifer, that your trip was other than a disaster.

While of course no one is under any obligation to report anything to this Forum, I sincerely believed your trip was a disaster when we did not hear from you further.

That is, until today.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Conifer:
Conclusion: Amtrak is fun. We will try it again. A little shorter trip next time. Maybe not this route.

A long distance coach trip with 2 little kids and a 12 hour bustitution. . . and you're still smiling. My hat is definitely off to you.

Keep in mind that the Sunset Limited / Texas Eagle is famous for its middle-of-the-night bus excursions, typically due to delays caused by the freight railroad that owns the tracks.

Such "surprises" are far less common on Amtrak's other long distance trains. More often than not, they reach their final destination with no problem at all.

So don't keep your bags unpacked for too long. There are plenty of other places Amtrak can take you.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, all of us that are regular followers of this forum remember you. Glad it was a good experience. With your attitude, soundss like you could enjoy more and wider experiences. Ever considered working overseas? With the right attitude it is a great experience. With the wrong attitude it is better for all concerned that you do not leave the USofA. Wrong attitudes not only make ther person that have them miserable, they also rub the local population the worng way and make it harder on the foreigners that do want to stay. We have spent 15 years in East Asia, mostly in Taiwan, and love it. Of course it is not 100% positive, but we feel the positives far outweigh the negatives. I tell anyone new, and sometimes not so new, here that if you feel the urge to tell the local people, "this should be done the way we do it in the USA (or UK, or Germany, or wherever) which is . . . ," you should put your lips firmly in contact with each other until the urge passes. This is their country and they do things the way that best suits them. Usually if you see things that you think need changing there is one of four answers: 1. They do not see it as a problem but the proper way to do things. 2. They see it as a problem, but not a priority. 3. They are dealing with it, but the solution is not the one you think it ought to be. 4. They are getting there, just give them time.

OK, a little long and off topic, but you sound like someone with enough sense of adventure to enjoy it. By the way, your kids will most likely love it. Our oldest was 16 and the youngest 9 when we got here, and generally consider it one of the best experiences of their lives. There are other countries in this part of the world that are not, but here you can let any child that has enough sense of responsibility to be outside without direct supervision use the public transport system. We would talk throuh which bus numbers, where to get off, etc. and send them on their way.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad to learn that your expirience was overall a positive one. Most Amtrak long distance trains aren't as challenged as that one is. May I suggest taking a train such as the Capitol Ltd (Washington, DC train depot is right downtown) or the Empire Builder, across the northern tier of the country. The Builder disembarks passengers right at the entrance to Glacier Nat'l Park, and you can enter Canada at the Waterton Nat'l Park, which is right across the border.

My next trip will be in 2 days. I'm going from MN to Florida, and I can hardly wait.

Again, It's good to learn of your good trip. Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conifer
Member # 3623

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conifer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George Harris-
As a former military brat, born in Wales, I am always ready for adventure. You can't be afraid to try things new.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conifer
Member # 3623

Rate Member
We want to try Amtrak again. We are thinking about visiting family in NJ. How is that train ride?
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course we remember you, Ms. Conifer!!! I am glad you had a good trip overall and want to take another trip. 2 questions though -- why was your husband unable to get through the same gate you went through in Chicago? And between what cities did you have to take the 12-hour bus ride? I assume from somewhere in Arizona or N.M. to San Antonio?

Anyway, thank you for posting!! Take another trip soon!!

For your next trip (Grand Rapids to New Jersey?), you will have a choice of taking the Lake Shore Ltd, the Capitol Ltd, or the Cardinal, from Chicago. The Three Rivers apparently will not be running all the way from CHI to NY-NJ any more starting this month (that schedule change may have already taken place). From the Lake Shore, you will have to change trains in New York, and from the Capitol, you will have to change trains in Washington DC, to get to New Jersey. If you take the Cardinal, you will not have to change trains to get to NJ. The Cardinal route is the longer of the 3 routes, but it is the most scenic one. None of the CHI-NY trains are Superliners (2 levels) like the Texas Eagle-Sunset which you rode to AZ, but they all are single-level trains, with Viewliner sleepers (which are slightly different than the sleepers on the Superliner trains), and much older, less spacious single-level lounge cars. Timekeeping on all those trains varies, but the likelihood of having to take another bus for part of the trip is not as high as on the Sunset/Eagle.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WAAAAY OT, Ms. Conifer--

In whose service was your Father, Her Majesty's or the President's???

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shannon
Member # 3779

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shannon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, My husband and I are taking the Sunset from Lafayette LA to San Antonio with our 3 kids, 15, 11, 6 in June. And we're riding COACH! The more I read these boards the more frightened I become. I know I should just STOP, but I can't! I'm addicted to these darn boards. Thanks for your story Conifer. I really do enjoy reading families' trips.
Posts: 2 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to hear your trip report. I think you handled everything like a trooper! It's often difficult traveling in winter, no matter what means of transport you use. A lot of people had some awful trouble flying around Christmas this year, if you recall--airport delays, lost luggage, etc. When I went to Atlanta (coach) last Thanksgiving, all the airlines were very delayed because of fog, but my train got in right on time.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canoe86
Member # 3099

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for canoe86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the report. Glad you survived, I think a lot of us figured you didn't. Our first trip was last March, and 1 year later, we will be taking our 4th trip, with a sleeper though. Easy to get addicted to trains and the adventure, good luck in the others sure to be in your future.
Posts: 30 | From: michigan | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shannon:

If you know what you are getting into, there is no need to have any fear. Since you have been following what is going on, you do have a reasonable idea of what to expect. You just have to be prepared to relax and enjoy the ride knowing that you will get there when you get there. This is not transportation for the "Type A" personalities. You have a middle of the night arrival in San Antonio if on time, so if the train is late, and whoever is going to meet you checks and knows it, everyone may get a better approximation of a reasonable night's sleep. Same for departure. If the train is projected to be 3 to 4 hours late, you won't have to roll out of bed at the crack of dawn to make it. Wisdom says don't plan something that requires on time operation of the train for you to make it. That is to say, if you are on the Sunday train eastbound, you can probably plan on being back at work on the Monday, but you may not have had a full night in your own bed before it.

Westbound should not be too bad for schedule, as leaving from Lafayette there has not been a lot of time for the errors to accumulate. Good idea to check whether it left New Orleans on time, though. Be sure to tell whoever is meeting you to call before heading to the station. Ditto coming back. Call to check on timekeeping before heading to the station. Also, when you call, remember that usually they will give you an estimated arrival time in San Antonio based on the best likely running time from whereever the train was last reported to be. So, assuming that you will not be a long way out of San Antonio, roll over and hit the phone or get on the web and find out when the train left or is expected to get to Del Rio. The closer the train is to where you are going to catch it, the more realistic the projected arrival time actually is. I note from the fall 2004 schedule that the run time listed San Antonio to Del Rio is 2 hours 55 minutes and the eastbound time is shown as 3 hours 50 minutes. That suggests that there is nearly an hour of slack in the eastbound schedule. Given freight congestion, approaching Sosan yard, if the projected arrival time in San Antonio equals Del Rio actual departure time plus anything under the 3 hours, take it with a grain of salt. Even three hours may not happed due to pauses in sidings or freight in front waiting to get in the yard.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conifer
Member # 3623

Rate Member
Gilbert B. Norman- U.S. Navy

Shannon- This was our first train ride and we were a little nervous too. We just tried to take everything in stride. My husband and I both agree that it would have even been more fun if our kids were a little older. There are lots of people to talk to. It's kinda weird, when you get that many people together people just seem to open up. Your kids will surely have a good time. One evening there was a nice guy playing his guitar in the lounge. This was an experience we will never forget. If our kids were older (or if it were just my husband and I) we would have spent the whole time in the lounge.

Conifer
Member # 3623

Rate Member
RRRich-
CHI was so backed up due to delays that it was a massive crowd of people. My husband was lugging 6 suitcases! They changed the gate that we needed to go through. It was at the other end of the room. People let me get through with my baby and child, but they made no effort to step aside for my husband even though he was asking politely. There was just wall to wall people in that room! They finally let him come in the closest gate and walk down to us. I'm sure that this was an unusual situation. It was obvious that the Amtrak employees were doing their best, they were just overwhelmed.
On our return trip we had no problems in CHI and were treated very well. I can't remember where we got off of the train and onto the bus, but it was right before dinner time in the dining car. We got back on the train in San Antonio.

Conifer
Member # 3623

Rate Member
Shannon-
Coach was not bad. We were in coach for 3 days straight with a baby and a preschooler annd we still gave the trip a thumbs up.

iowamomofsix
Member # 3695

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for iowamomofsix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Conifer,

I joined the group a few days after you left on your trip. At that time I read the conversations between you and the group. I've been wondering how it went since I was contemplating taking my family of eight on the train. Thanks for posting your trip report. I appreciate the perspective of a mom with little ones. They add an extra dimension to travel.

Debbie

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shannon
Member # 3779

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shannon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all who post on this board. I'm not too concerned with time on the train, we will be on vacation so what the hey, time is all we have for one week! I won't care about time or schedules. My 6-yr-old son is a train fanatic so I think it'll be fine. My half sister will be meeting us at the station so I will definitely give her your advice. Thanks so much. I wish Amtrak had at least one car rental at their station. Getting there at 3 a.m. is a little intimidating with kids, especially a place we've never been. We'll be renting a car while in SA but not too keen about taking a cab in the middle of the night with kids to the airport to get a car so have to rely on family to pick us up then bring us to meet our train at midnight to go home.
Posts: 2 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering how irregular the train arrivals are, I think taxi is actually your best bet. Plus, the drivers generally will help with luggage--and if they don't, you can just ask them.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NothinCouldBeFiner...
Member # 3832

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for NothinCouldBeFiner...     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrs. Conifer, BRAVO to you and your family! I've never done an over-nighter yet, but it looks like we'll be doing one in early August from Seattle (about 25 hours IF it's on time, of course) [Razz]

I've been on the Coast Starlight going to Southern CA/Disneyland and it is a beautiful trip along the coast and many times right next to the ocean. So, it will be nice to be able to see the northern CA and Northwest route on the same train. If you ever get a chance, you should take a ride on the Coast Starlight.

The only other times I was on a train is when we rode the Reno Fun Train on two different occasions which is a private train crewed by AMTRAK. That's only for adults because folks can bring liquor aboard. We've brought champagne and a picnic basket of cheeses and crackers, etc. They have plenty of ice and plastic glasses. Free Coke, too. You ride through the Sierras in the late winter and it's gorgeous with the snow covered mountains. Anyway, they have a package where you stay in a hotel in Reno and they provide a couple meals on board the train, as well as a dance car with live music and an observation car. Our car consisted of a whole group of classified school employees. What a fun group! They brought a whole smorgasboard of goodies to eat and drink.

Gee, I'm going "off track" here. [Roll Eyes]

I just wanted to say that I admire you and I know you'll have some great train adventures ahead. Just be sure and come out to California/Washington and hop aboard the Coast Starlight someday! Your kids will love you for it.

quote:
Originally posted by Conifer:
Shannon-
Coach was not bad. We were in coach for 3 days straight with a baby and a preschooler annd we still gave the trip a thumbs up.

Posts: 18 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page