RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Favorite Amtrak Routes?

Author Topic: Favorite Amtrak Routes?
RamblinBuzz
Member # 3683

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for RamblinBuzz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been posting on this forum for about 3 months now and greatly enjoy reading the various posts/travel reports, etc. Recently made a trip on the Crescent ATL to WAS, Acela WAS to NYP and the Crescent NYP back to ATL. I enjoy train trips in the Northeast. Perhaps not the sight-seeing trips of the west or west coast, but I enjoy the stations and their history, etc. I was very impressed with Union Station in DC and recommend your next trip to our Nation's Capitol be via rail.

All that being said, I have not made many trips via rail and would like to see what you folks would rate your favorite "route" and why. Maybe even add in your least favorite. I'd be glad to see thoughts on various stations as well. Enjoyed my visit to Grand Central in Manhattan. Lots of history there for sure.

Thanks for reading!!

Posts: 12 | From: Mableton, Georgia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neat topic........

I don't neccessarily have favorite entire routes but I do have segments -

I like the 'Cardinal' between Charlottesville, VA and Charleston, WV for the scenery.

The 'California Zephyr' from Denver west for the same reason.

The 'Crescent' between Atlanta and Birmingham is a nice daytrip.

The 'Piedmont' is pleasant with the BIG windows on the restored 1960's Kansas City Southern coaches which protect that schedule.

Least Favorite: I'm not sure if I can handle many more trips on any of the Silver Service trains between Rocky Mount, NC and Petersburg, VA.....just not much to look at and the trains are often delayed by congestion on CSX in this area.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldcupmom
Member # 3761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for goldcupmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been on too many routes, but I definitely can say the Sunset is NOT my favorite. Some day I'll post a report the experience my DD and I had last June.

As a child we road about 4/5 times a year from Fort Madison IA to Oklahoma City, and about the same from Burlington IA to Chicago. Occasionally we would go from Burlington to upstate NY. The shorter jaunts were always coach and great fun!

All of my trips w/ my own kids have been on the SW Chief either between Flagstaff & Fort Madison, or Newton KS and Fort Madison, depending on where we were living. DD and I once went all the way to Chicago, then back from CHI to Burlington - I think on the Zephyr, but it was a brief jaunt.

I definitely won't do the Sunset again, but would like to do some CA travel and some Northern US trips. I'm trying hard to instill a love of trains in my kids - now all teens.

Posts: 30 | From: Rio Rancho NM | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Coast Starlight between Northern California and Southern Oregon around Mt. Shasta.

Least favorite would be those 15 minutes departing Los Angeles looking at the LA river.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lake Shore Limited between New York and Cleveland (I never get tired of staring out at the Hudson River and all those depressed-looking Rust Belt towns and cities; very atmospheric).

Coast Starlight between L.A. and Oakland (the scenery constantly changes, which is why I don't care as much for the Oakland to Seattle leg, with its long stretches of monotonous woodlands).

Empire Builder across Montana (I've found I actually enjoy gazing at Big Sky "nothingness" for hours on end; very restful).

Three Rivers / Pennsylvanian between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh (great old factories and industrial ruins; it's like looking out the window at 1923).

Vermonter through the State of Vermont (classic New England storybook scenery with a strangely miniaturized, "HO Scale" feel; it's like you're traveling on a model train through someone's private property.)

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! I've got to chime in with the Coast Starlight (or Surfliner) between Los Angeles and SLO. And going around Mt. Shasta is pretty spectacular if you get to do it in the daylight. Most recently, leaving Boston and heading south along the shore in winter was pretty great. The Zephyr through the Sierra and even then EB through the beige Northern Plains is pretty wonderful.

Yep, I'm hooked. I'm looking for a quick trip next week and it sounds like the Vermonter might be an interesting adventure.

Frank in dark and foggy SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite route segments:

Coast Starlight LAX-SBA (coastal scenery) and KFS-PDX (Cascades)

California Zephyr DEN-SLC (Rockies) and RNO-EMY (Sierra Nevadas)

Empire Builder SPK-SEA (Cascades) and SPK-PDX (Columbia River Gorge)

Cardinal CIN-CVS (Ohio River, then WV and New River Gorge)

Southwest Chief BAR-LAX (Cajon Pass)

Adirondack (entire route, although I haven't ridden it for many years)

My favorite overall train is the Coast Starlight

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray S
Member # 3175

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty much the whole California Zephyr route. Heading east I enjoy the mountains but also the next day (in the summertime) I really like looking at the tall fields of corn and all the farms scattered along the route.

Also enjoy the Empire Builder.

Posts: 70 | From: West Palm Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been west of Cleveland/Pittsburgh/Atlanta, though I plan to rectify that soon. Of the trips I've taken, my favorite by far is the Adirondack. If you get on in NYC, you go along the beautiful Hudson River (same route as the film North by Northwest) to Albany -- to see the river and NJ Palisades best, sit on the left side facing forward . . . but also be sure to look right briefly as you cross the Harlem River out of Manhattan, lovely view there. So you go all the way up the Hudson and then stop in the new Albany-Rensselaer station. As you do, make sure to bribe, cheat, or steal your way into a change of seat so you are now on the right side of the train. It shouldn't require bribery, cheatery or stealery, as a lot of people do get off in Albany. Once you are settled into your new seat, you might get out to see the station. It's actually in Rensselaer, east side of the Hudson--and brand new, I'm not saying it's gorgeous but one should see it, I think, as there is usually a fair amount of time at this stop. Right after you leave the station, there is a nice view of downtown Albany on the left, but it's very brief so just look left to see it, even though you have arranged your important right- side view. There isn't too much on either side through Schenectady, after which you cross the Mohawk (nice on either side). When you come to Saratoga you unfortunately cannot see the town (which is very cute; you might want to visit there some time too, it's a walkable little town, but you'll have to overnight there, I think only 2 trains a day). Anyway, once you get up past Ford Edward (handsome looking from the train), the trip is truly gorgeous for around 5 hours, at least, if you don't have a weather or Amtrak problem!!! You go all along the upper Hudson and Lake Champlain (all on your right facing forward), with Vermont's Green Mts behind the lake . . . truly lovely. Be sure to look for historic Fort Ticonderoga well before you approach that stop, there's a good view. There is also is an old steam train at one stop, I think Port Henry? And a small ferry you can see at the same stop, I think. Anyway, gorgeous gorgeous (a little scary too) all the way to Plattsburgh, nice-looking college town. Then nice-looking farms till the border crossing, which is fun on a train (make sure to bring your required paperwork) though there can be delays. Then into Quebec, which really is another country! And the approach into Montreal is really interesting across the huge St Lawrence, nice from either side, and you back into the Gare (Station).

And not least of all, the fabulous food when you get there--not just French, Montreal is just a great international food town. If you are going, post again for my restaurant recs. If you leave any day but Sunday, you can also pick up some good takeout to take on the train ride home at a place right in the Gare . . . I will look all the specifics up for you if you are actually going.

This trip is very long compared to drive time, though--it's around 10 hours, driving is much shorter. And it can be even longer if there is a "homeland security problem" at the border! So bring music, books, and relax. No matter when you get in Montreal will be busy and you should be able to have a good meal . . . .

My second favorite trip was the NY to Pittsburgh. Interesting to be on the Main Line and pass the Amish farms, and mostly very lovely W of Harrisburg, though in a few cases (esp Johnstown) rather depressing--but still interesting (and historic). I took this last April so I was able to see a whole lot because the trees weren't yet in leaf--good time to go. Also, if you like Grand Central and Union Station, be sure to check out Philadelphia's 30th St Station if you have time. A lot of the trains have 20 minutes there, so check with the conductor. It's the train station in Witness!

Also, I have heard Newark's Penn Station is pretty nice--I need to see that one of these days. I believe you can go over from NY Penn Station on the Path Train for very cheap, see the station and the downtown architecture as well as Newark Museum, and have some Brazilian food in the "Ironbound" district (the nickname relates at least in part to the proximity of the railroad tracks).

I also liked the portion of my Florida trips that is in Florida by day, around Jacksonville, going through Winter Park, and further south around Lake Okeechoobee into West Palm Beach (a cute station, but they are supposed to redo it!). Unfortunately too much of the trip is in the dark. Ditto the trip to Atlanta. In fact, I have been through the Carolinas many times but never in the daytime.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHANGEATJAMAICA
Member # 3737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHANGEATJAMAICA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're relatively new at the game, our initial trip was last year:
Lake Shore WB offerss nothing
California Zephyr WB offers everything
Starlight SB the Pacific Sunset is Gorgeous!
Southwest Chief EB Sunrise over the high desert in Arizona worth the price of the whole trip.
Lake Shore EB BUF/ALB history lesson on wheels.

This year we're off to PHL via Acela, onto NOL on the Crescent, then gambling on the Sunset Ltd (new schedule and all) to LAX. Will ride the Coast Starlight NB all the way to SEA and head back east on the Empire Builder before trying our luck on the Lake Shore again. Hope to be able to report on new favorite sights.
Rodger

Posts: 83 | From: MERRIMAC,MA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I particularly like the changes in scenery that a train goes through. So, for example, the EB SW Chief on the second night is in SE Colorado, the landscape is flat, not a tree or bush in sight, certainly no cell phone possibilities. The next morning you wake up in Kansas City, deciduous trees, rolling countryside, water. Same is true of the WB Empire Builder as it approaches the mountains and goes through flat plains to alpine territory. If they could get the logistics straighten out, the Sunset would be a great candidate for changing scenery. Unfortunately, it moves so slowly, if at all, that the scenery doesn't always change.

One last one, coming into Chicago on the LSL, passing all those steel mills - great gigantic, hulking, dark things. Slightly forbidding.

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RamblinBuzz,
Glad you can appreciate the beauty and history of the old stations. Many of these where saved by Landmark Preservation. I hope Railforum will keep track of the continued plan to move Penn Station into the Post Office building in NY a way of trying to put back the crime that was commited in 1962.

I have only done the NE corriodor and North routes. Few years ago I took the NYP to Montreal stayed at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel right underneath the Montreal Train Station. A great building and public space right in the center of downtown Montreal. Its a great route. The trip back I was to take the Vermonter thru Vermont back to New Haven. Unfortunatly the line was not deemed safe for passanger train service (it was in May) so we had to take an Amtrak bus to Springfield Ma to catch the train. The Vermonter no longer has Amtrak connecting bus service from Montreal to St Albans VT so the circle trip needs to be looked into for bus service. I have taken the trip to Richmond VA from CT, Have they reopened the old downtown Station in Richmond yet?

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite Amtrak route in the East is the Adirondak. It is one of Amtrak's most scenic routes.Also the Cardinal through the New River Gorge.
In the West, I like theZephyr route over Donner Pass,and through the Rockies(not around them [Smile] ),The Chief through Cajon,and the Starlight in the Cascades.The Portland section of the Empire Builder through the Colombia River Gorge,and the Seattle section over Stevens pass.Also on the Builder is the run along the Mississippi River

--------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.
Check out the NEW Western Rail
http://rrredneck.proboards99.com./index.cgi

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Amtrak Coast Starlight Between L.A. And Seattle Rules above all!!!, no other Route can even come near holding a candle to the Starlight!!!
Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite route is probably the SW CHief or the Crescent, and I may be a little bias, but THe Capitol Limited.

However, my favorite TRAIN( yes there is a difference) is by far the Auto Train, it is such a fun party train.

JP

--------------------
Have you hugged a train today?

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
afternoonhiawatha
Member # 2566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for afternoonhiawatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1st choice -- travelling along approximately 55 miles of the Columbia River Gorge between PDX and PSC aboard the Empire Builder.

2nd choice -- varied scenery aboard the Coast Starlight with the coastline between LAX and SBA and the Cascade mountain range of northern CA. and southern OR.

Posts: 13 | From: Dubuque,IA,USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best views seen;

very early in the morning, to some late at night. Comming out of the East River Tunnels and turning North in Long Island City, traveling from Philadelphia to New Haven. A full moon hovering over mid-town Manhatten on a cloudless night. WWOOOWWWW what a view!

Early sunrise on Long Island Sound on Train traveling from New Haven to Providence. A very New England picture. best views are between Old Saybrook to New London.

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Favorite route! Well, over the last 30 years I've ridden them all, at one time or another. In order, I think I'd rate the trains as follows:

1) California Zephyr. The most scenic ride in the U.S.
2) Coast Starlight -- the whole route. A close second to the CZ.
3) Adirondack
4) International Seattle -- Vancouver
5) Cardinal

The Sunset is, frankly, a bore for most of the trip. The Southwest Ltd. has some nice scenery in New Mexico and over Cajon. On the EB Builder, you go through the best scenery (east of Spokane) at night, and get only a bit of the Rockies in daylight. Florida trains (even though I grew up riding them) are not trains to ride for the scenery. Capital Ltd. has a nice stretch through the Potomac Valley, but is otherwise only OK. And while I enjoy the Crescent as a train trip, don't take it for the scenery.

I guess I've missed the City of NO and the Texas Eagle. Let me finish by saying that I've been EVERYWHERE in Texas, and I've yet to find any scenery worthy of the name. And between CHI and NO?

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, part of the wonder/delight/magic of long distance train travel is that any given moment on any given route is potentially remarkably memorable. From falling asleep watching a moonrise over the midwest and "rockin' to the gentle beat" to waking to a sunrise breakfast as I pass the familiar chaos of strangers backyards; from a conversation with a stanger to the intimacy of my own compartment with someone special in my life; from a relaxed few hours or days to the pleasant busy-ness of a common setting; from the natural mountains to human created mountainous cities; from hobo camps where cans cook over open fires to rivers where eagles patrol and dive for fish. I need not look where I am going, only look and be where I am.

I wax philosophical as I think ahead to my r/t to NYC in two weeks.

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. 2 choice...The Coast Starlight.
The stretch between Klamath Falls, Oregon and Eugene, Oregon, is spectacular as you travel through the lower Oregon Cascade mountains. Also, if the CS is late, you may go by Mt. Shasta during daylight..in the early morning. A tremendous view!
No 1 choice...the Empire Builder.
I agree with "Hiawatha"..I took the EB from Portland to Spokane this past summer. The Columbia River Gorge is really interesting. Lush and green on the south side of the river, but desert-like on the north side; quite a contrast.
The run from Seattle over to East Glacer, Montana, is my favorite. I agree with "Dilly"..the "Montana nothingness" east of Glacier Park accross the state is nothing but high prairie and wheat fields. If you stand on a phone book you can see everywhere! I once drove across Northern Montana, at night, and it got a little "spooky". However, going across on the train is different..the expansive "nothingness" is interesting and, in a way, very scenic.
A real treat is to get on the Empire Builder in North-Central Montana, or further east, and head west toward Glacier Park, Spokane, & Seattle. As you close in on the mountains of Glacier Park, there is no gradual change in the foliage like there is going up to the mountains in most areas. You go from high, desolate country to pine trees and spectacular mountains all at once..no gradual change. It is really breath-taking.

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dadb
Member # 1393

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dadb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Favorite AMTRACK rte has to be the Coast Starlight.

Have been on the Empire Builder from Portland to Chicago, it is okay but not even close to the CSL.

Went from Chicago to Harrisburg coach UGH!!!! no dining car and they robbed you for food in the snack car.

Beat rail route though has to be VIA Rail in Canada from Winnipeg to Vancouver. The mountain scenary is terrific and service is excellent. The food???? WOW!

Posts: 2 | From: Grand Forks< ND | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 15 minutes leaving LA on any Amtrak train, for the grafitti/urban studies, and the one hour between Deming and Lordsburg, NM on the Sunset.

OK, I'm a contrarian and a bit of a troublemaker! Isn't there anyone else who likes the gritty urban neighborhoods that passenger trains go through while leaving and entering major cities? It's kind of an iconic thing for me.

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of all the many trains I've taken....best routes are:

#1 has to be the Coast Starlight. Wine tasting in the Pacific Parlour car with the Pacific Ocean as the backdrop can't be beat by anything currently run by Amtrak period. And if your not a fan of the ocean the Cascade range isn't too shabby either.

#2 would obviously be the Cal Zephyr. The Rockies are beautiful any time of the year.

#3 would go to the Southwest Chief. The Flagstaff area is uniquely beautiful and Raton pass offers amazing classic western vistas. And for some reason I seem to sleep the best on this train.

#4 would go to the now extinct Desert Wind. Cajon in daylight is stunning. Traveling by train through Cajon sure beats the views you see on I-15.

#5 would go to the Pacific Surfliner. Such a pleasant trip when it goes along the coast. And the double decker cars are quite an improvement over previous consists.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like many posters,I ve ridden them all. Zephyr between Denver and Grand Junction has to be #1..Coast Starlight Santa Barbara to the twists and turns beyond San Luis Obispo is second..SW Chief fom Raton to Albuquerque, Empire Builder<Portland section following the river and early morning from Whitefish trough Glacier, The Adirondack north of Glens Falls hugging Lake Champlain..the Cardinal going East past Charleston to Charlottesville...even the much maligned Sunset...I love going through Alabama andMississippi and through the Bayous of Louisiana. Going through a city or the desolate plains of central and eastern Montana..I feel there is beauty whether its obvious like the Rockies or the Pacific Coast or through flatlands...whats thatold Amtrak line..theres something about a train thats magic?

I have a 9 day all train journey coming up in August from NYP to Jax toLax,up to PDX east to CHI and back to NYP. Theres always something new to see everytime I ride. I ve been riding for 16 years..maybe I have 500,000miles by now Its my favorite thing to do, and I never lose that wonderful anticipation I have before each trip.

--------------------

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Railroad Bob, In general I get bored by too-ugly urban stuff, esp graffiti--it is incredibly sad to me to see how verbally dull and un-clever these graffiti artists are, no matter how pretty the colors. I always marvel that someone would scrunch their way into the most treacherous narrow place to put up the graffiti and then not write something with a little more pizzazz than just their own or girl/boyfriend's name or a common "dirty" word. At the very least, someone might write "Kilroy was here!!!"

But anyway, getting back to urban grit, I do like all the Ironbound stuff around Newark, and I absolutely love the streets of row houses that you pass in Baltimore. They always remind me of the scene in Marnie where Sean Connery and Tippi Hedrin visit the dumpy mother and the local children are outside chanting some children's rhyme and the ship is down the corner of then-unrefurbished Baltimore harbor.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Bob'

You would luv the NEC for the urban grime inbetween the some nice scenery. Long before his work on 9/11 I cheered Mayor Rudy Guilliano for getting the graffitti of the subway trains! Arriving from the South to New Haven you pass a dump and junk yard if thats the type of thing your looking for. If you can divert your eyes from the Manhatten skyline you can see the Sunnyside Railyards before entering the tunnels. Lastly unless its all been removed or buried; When traveling along the New Jersey Meadowlands there are some remaining sculptures and columns from the Late Great Pennsylvania Station.

RamblinBuzz
Member # 3683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RamblinBuzz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great replies!! Enjoyed reading all the different thoughts, likes/dislikes. I think this really shows there are so many great routes still around and that there is certainly a passion for rail travel. I hope passenger volume can increase through the coming years so that Amtrak can survive.

I think there are many out there that would enjoy a train trip, if they'd just give it a try. Seems to be a fear of the unknown, since so few (in comparison to air travel) take train trips.

Keep the responses coming!!

Posts: 12 | From: Mableton, Georgia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
I think the problem in my area CT-NE is the car culture and the lack of transportation options once you arrive at a destination. Who finds it easier to take the train like the Vermonter to a ski resort. Years ago the trains ran ski trains. Who today would find it more affortable and convinient to take the train rather then a car. To many people see when on vacation they want they see travel time as cutting into there relaxation time time not able to sit on the beach, at the campground, on the golf course, at the amusement park etc. Heck even during the golden age of railroading the competition between the railroads was speed.
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorites:
1- The Coast Starlight past Santa Barbara, San Simeon and the Shasta Mountains in August with snow!
2- The Adirondak to Montreal along the wonderful vistas of the Hudson River and Lake Champlain.
3- Southwest Chief past those magnificent red sandstone mesas and long curves through the desert at dusk heading east! Wow!

Amtrak must be preserved just for that alone!

Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page