RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » SCHEDULE CHANGE

Author Topic: SCHEDULE CHANGE
CHANGEATJAMAICA
Member # 3737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHANGEATJAMAICA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When does AMTRAK publish their Spring/Summer schedule? I've already received a call from reservations advising me of a time change on the Crescent, but the November schedule is still posted on the web with the old times.
Rodger

Posts: 83 | From: MERRIMAC,MA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last Sunday of April, or 201AM Apr 25

A review of the website a few moments ago shows that entering a date of travel of May 3 WAS-ATL returns a departure time from WAS of 640PM, or 30min earlier than showing in the existing timetable. The printable timetables at the website will change when they are reissued effective Apr 25.

Posts: 9983 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak is leaving Albuquerque 15 minutes earlier in the new schedule, too. I received a call from Amtrak reservations explaining it to me.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gilbert - I believe the new schedules typically take effect when Daylight Savings Time begins, or NOW -- they were probably effective as of 2:01 AM yesterday 4/2, since that's when DST began.

I plan on picking up some new timetables at the local (Winter Park, FL) AMTRAK station sometime in the next week or so (as soon as they get them)

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
Gilbert - I believe the new schedules typically take effect when Daylight Savings Time begins, or NOW -- they were probably effective as of 2:01 AM yesterday 4/2, since that's when DST began.

I plan on picking up some new timetables at the local (Winter Park, FL) AMTRAK station sometime in the next week or so (as soon as they get them)

That has been the case in the past but new schedules this spring won't be effective until the last Sunday in April.......same day that the NEC goes to all-reserved regional trains. New times are showing when you request a schedule or fare past April 25......and the few that I've spot-checked so far are yielding minor adjustments......rarely more than 30 minutes difference.

David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Capitol Limited will start leaving DC at 3:50 pm, about an hour and a half earlier than now.
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shanghaiamtrak:
The Capitol Limited will start leaving DC at 3:50 pm, about an hour and a half earlier than now.

That's significant! Looks like eastbound will be 20-30 minutes earlier. I was hoping that the eastbound departure would be moved a couple of hours later to provide more reasonable service to Pittsburgh.......no such luck though.

David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldcupmom
Member # 3761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for goldcupmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tickets for DD and I returning from Orlando and the new schedule makes me nervous about making our connection from the Silver which arrives at 2:45. YIKES!!! Not much I can do though....
Posts: 30 | From: Rio Rancho NM | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Notelvis--

I am going to Pittsburgh for a pirates game and to see PNC Park. Ill be arriving on the capitol limited about midnight. Is downtown safe to walk around in at that hour? im thinking of walking to my hostel.

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't say for now, but I walked Greyhound to Amtrak in downtown Pittsburg late at night in 1975, and it was creepy even for a guy of 30 in fairly good shape. Unless there has been a drastic improvement since then, I would not consider it a good idea unless you have good life insurance and the urge to enrich your beneficiaries.

George

Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I think there may have been some improvement, at least where the train station is (I don't know where Greyhound is). But I was never there at that time of night. For the most current info, my advice is, check with your hotel and see what they suggest. If they say take a taxi, take one. As you are going within walking distance, a taxi likely won't cost much esp at that time of night. Also, they may tell you a taxi service to phone to make sure someone is there for you.

I can tell you that the train station is in an old attractive building right downtown but you don't really see that part when you depart--the place where you now get off from Amtrak looks like an ugly modern little bus station!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Amtrak Station in Pittsburgh is the former Pennsylvania Railroad Station and offices, it only uses the lower level and a couple platforms of that former facility, the office building and lobby is a residential building today. The Greyhound Bus Station is across Liberty Ave in a dreary 1950s terminal, which is supposed to temporarily close this year for renovation. The bus station will relocate elsewhere until renovations are completed.

Downtown Pittsburgh has improved over the years, but it is still a "big city" and you need to be careful. In my experience, taxis do meet the now-2 trains that arrive in Pittsburgh, and there is bus transportation around downtown.

I have taken the Greyhound bus to and from Pittsburgh to catch a train with no problems, it is a quick dash across the street and with a good book, the time in the station passes quickly.

Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page