RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » from Union station DC

Author Topic: from Union station DC
goldcupmom
Member # 3761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for goldcupmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DD and I are enroute from ABQ to Orlando. we are stuck in DC.

SWC was on time out of ABQ. Dining crew bordered on rude. Food was not great, but passable. Car attendant was fair. There were no working bathrooms in the sleepers from Eastern CA all the way to KC. Kept promising to fix at the next stop, at the next stop. In La Junta waited to remove a coach passenger who was "bleeding internally". They wanted to remove her in ABQ, but she didn't want to get off. This equipment was obviously OLD and was VERY dirty.

Capitol was on time and wonderful. Chef Tim was outstanding. Food was extraordinary. larry the car attendant was GREAT!! This was at least somewhat refurbished older equipment, but very nice.

Now in DC and the Meteor is almost 4 hours late. The Dining car was broken and they had to get replacement. Amtrak supervisor came in and gave each passenger $15 for dinner. Very nice. We are tired, but now full and using the computers in the lounge.

Would I do it again.....YES!!

DD 13 has decided that when we get back to ABQ SHE is going to write her congressmen to SAVE AMTRAK!!! Good idea.

More later!

Posts: 30 | From: Rio Rancho NM | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goldcupmom, I was in ABQ April 29 and sent a letter to your mayor and 3 TV stations, showing them pictures of the Amtrak station and how run down it was, compared to the bus terminal and the airport. Did you ever see a story about your Amtrak station on your local TV stations?
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
goldcupmom, I was delighted to hear that Larry was so great. My husband and I have ridden with him on the Capital for some 12 years. He always greets us like relatives and wonder of wonders always remembers the way we like our bed made up (lower one only with extra sheet an blankets),no wake up call, first setting for dinner etc. He also knows a lot about the history of the various areas which makes it interesting. He seems to go out of his way for everyone.
We have always found the food excellent. (last month the chef made the breakfast grits with cheese, a first)The wait staff great and the very few times Larry wasn't on the "subs" were excellent

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page