RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » NM News says no more Sleepers.....

Author Topic: NM News says no more Sleepers.....
goldcupmom
Member # 3761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for goldcupmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or Dining Cars on the Sunset or the Southwest Chief.

Is this likely true, or are they picking up bits and pieces of a story and blowing it up?

That would make me VERY sad as we travel long distances and I would not travel coach with my DD.

Posts: 30 | From: Rio Rancho NM | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I dont travel in sleepers I think it a true dis-service to those loyal Amtrak guests who do. But I sincerely doubt this will happen. It's what makes Amtrak as popular and unique as it is; taking long scenic rail journeys across America viewed from incredible domed Observation Cars or in the comfort of a Deluxe Sleeper with first-class meals to tantalize your tastebuds. For these travellers it is a journey unlike any other offered in the United States, and one that people from all over the world fly here to take part in.

If Amtrak did remove sleepers, observation cars, dining cars, snack cars, entertainment, and became an all-coach service, with their current 'punctuality' track record, there would be no reason for most people to ever use them again. Their competiton? Airplanes (cheaper and faster) or even Greyhound bus services; cheaper, faster, and offers better connections with greater departure frequencies than Amtrak does now.

Then too, most folks would rather fly than take Greyhound. But I'd rather 'Amtrak' than anything else...

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll post a trip report soon having just gotten home LATE last night from a Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle trip.

The LATENESS though was account of a Delta Airlines delay and not Amtrak! Texas Eagle was on-time or within 20 minutes of on-time at every station San Antonio - St. Louis!!!!

David Pressley

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats a release from the DOT ...(see other thread) NM is obviously refering to this...its not even close to being offical yet.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jgart56
Member # 3968

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jgart56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a DOT Bean Counter's report and it is being blown out of proportion!

As Mr. Toy said on another thread, none of this groups suggestions have ever been implimented on Amtrak.

I think the report makes good comic relief. Imagine if you would, turning off air or heating to save money! Or tearing out the seats and making everyone stand for an entire trip because it saves fuel. Hey we could really have fun with this!

Posts: 171 | From: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tuesday evening, July 26, CNN was reporting this Amtrak story regarding the removal of Sleeping Cars as the "demise of Pullmans." The pictures behind the story were Acelas, and Sen. Lott was shown saying something. I have read all of the news accounts of this, and am confused. It is unclear what is being proposed and what is coming from the Department of Transportation.
Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page