RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Empire Builder, Lakeshore and Capitol Limiteds

Author Topic: Empire Builder, Lakeshore and Capitol Limiteds
EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a few questions with regards to a trip I may make soon (if I can scavange enough funds together in my currently unemployed state). The trip will be departing from Fargo, ND and going to South Bend, IN, where I have a friend who is attending Notre Dame. My questions tend to center around Chicago and the last brief leg of the trip.

First off, the Empire Builder is supposed to arrive in Chicago at 3:40PM that day. Based on how late it usually runs (which I'm not sure of), would I be safe booking the Capitol Limited departing at 5:45PM (getting me to South Bend by 7:03) or should I play it safe and book the Lakeshore Limited deparing at 7:55PM and arriving at my destination at 9:25. I'm assuming they'd just put me on the second train if I miss the first, but those familiar with this might know better than me.

I have another question that I'm fairly certain has been asked before, but I'm not sure when that was if I wanted to backtrack and look it up. While I would likely not have time heading to South Bend, on the way back home, the Lakeshore Limited is SUPPOSED to depart South Bend at 7:34AM and arrive in Chicago at 9:30. Since the westbound Builder isn't supposed to leave until 2:15, if my train leaving South Bend to Chicago is remotely on time, I'd be able to fit in a couple or three hours of brief Chicago exploration (it being a city I've never been to). First things first, is there any place to safely keep my carry on bag in Union Station, like a locker, for free or pay? I don't know that'd I'd have a lot of carry on, but I really wouldn't want to make myself any more of a target than possible. Looking like the tourist I am would probably be the worst thing to do for me considering I am a 23 year old man who stands all of 5'2". For that matter is the area around Union Station and the loop safe? Is there any branch of the el that would be the safest if I could fit a quick ride in?

I know those are a lot of questions and I'm not sure I expect anyone to know all the answers, but hopefully together you will know all the answers.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dk82
Member # 4086

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dk82         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Empire Builder is often the most timely of the long distance routes, so you'll likely be ok withthe Capitol Limited connection. If you were to miss it, you're right that you probably just end up on the Lakeshore anyway.

Union Station is plentiful with luggage lockers for about $3/hr. It's all very modern actually - accepts credit/debit cards, takes a finger print for security, etc. If you're traveling on a weekday, Union Station is VERY busy at rush hour, but just follow the signs and you'll have no problem.

The area around Union Station is plenty safe during the daylight hours you would be there. You should have plenty of time to walk east from the station, around the Loop, even over to the lake or up the Magnificent Mile if you'd like. Anywhere you could walk east and north up along the lake is entirely safe.

As for the subway, a trip around the loop and perhaps up to Howard would make for a neat trip and give you a good flavor of the el. There's an excellent unofficial Chicago L site that I'm sure you can find searching on 'CTA' at RailServe.com.

I'm actually from the east coast but make connections through Chicago anytime I travel west on Amtrak, so I'm now plenty familiar with the day trips in Chicago [Smile]

Hope this helps!

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, if I were going through mid-October, I would book the Lakeshore Ltd and use the time to enjoy Chicago! It's a lovely city, very much worth seeing, and it's unlikely you will get as much time on the way back, especially if the Lakeshore Ltd is as late as it often is!!!

On the other hand, if your trip isn't until later in autumn, when the weather grows bad and it gets dark early, then I would book the Capitol Ltd.

The area around Union Station is safe, and if you have the time you can walk down Adams or another street to Michigan Avenue and see Millennium Park and maybe the lake or more of the "Magnificent Mile," have dinner, etc. etc. For more about all this, look at the strand below called "What to do in Chicago with 5 Hours" (or something like that). However, I don't know that any of the posts deal with the El. I believe most lines are perfectly safe except maybe late at night but one or two may not be. I have never taken it--someday would like to, but thus far, after the long train rides I always have getting to Chicago (not to mention all the Amtrak desserts, which I eat too many of since I usually take sleepers), I'm afraid I need to stretch my legs with a long walk!

One thing to keep in mind: If you are traveling on a Sunday, a lot of restaurants and other businesses in the Union Station area are closed. This includes a lot of food concessions at Union Station.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpireBuilder
Member # 2036

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for EmpireBuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to both of you that replied. I think you were able to cover any of the questions I had that weren't addressed in the other Chicago thread. That thread has a lot of good ideas, more than a person could possibly fit in in such a brief visit. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how good the odds would be of me getting to go at this time, but I'll keep this all in mind should I go.

Just a couple of follow up questions, what exactly is the Magnificent Mile? Or where is it is perhaps the better question.

I like the ideas for the el trips. I think I'd want to at least do a partial circle around the loop because of its historical purposes. I also like the idea of going up to Howard for a couple of reasons. One is because of the Addison station and its proximity to Wrigley Field. The baseball fan in me might want to see that from at least the outside. Also...if I went up as far as Howard station I'd probably take the when in Rome mentality and ride the "Skokie Swift" as well. However I was disappointed to learn that that line has now been converted to all third rail, so some of it's uniqueness is gone.

Also, my goal for this trip, if I make it at all would be October 13-17, so the sunlight should at least last into the early evening at that time yet I'd think. I might almost have to allow myself the extra time in each direction or in at least one direction, because of the problems with lateness as you said. Plus, I'd want to go up to the top of Sears Tower. As someone who's already been to the top of the CN Tower, Space Needle, and Empire State Building. It's one of the best ways to see a city in my opinion. I also have an interest in the John Hancock Center, so as you can see I'm not going to have enough time no matter what I do.

Thanks again to those of you who replied.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page