RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trip report Silver Star and Sunset Limited

Author Topic: Trip report Silver Star and Sunset Limited
jimmymac
Member # 1182

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for jimmymac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just returned today from a coast to coast trip via the Silver Star and the Sunset Limited. I departed Raliegh, NC on Feb. 20 on the Silver Star and connected with the westbound Sunset LTD in Jacksonville, FL on Feb. 21. I had a bedroom on both trains. There is a difference in service between these two trains. The Silver Star attendants were not helpful and seemed to think they were doing us a favor just by being there. Same withe the diner staff. In fact one waiter was verbally abusive to his customers. My waiter coveniently forgot my breakfast order and delivered it cold.
The Sunset LTD, on the other hand was delightful. We were 6 hours later into LA but I heard only one complaint. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The return trip was almost the same. Departed LA on Mar 1 at 10:30 pm and arrived in JAX only one hour behind schedule. Again the staff on the Sunset LTD were great. The return to Raleigh on the Silver Star was better than the out bound trip but there was still a difference in attitude.

Posts: 57 | From: Huntersville, NC USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F40PHR231
Member # 1350

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for F40PHR231   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharing that! It helped me decide if I wanted to travel by Silver or by Crescent. I think I'm gonna stick with the Crescent when I go east on my 20-day Amtrak journey on all sides of the country.

Thanks again.
~Chris

Posts: 82 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimN
Member # 1304

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JimN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I traveled on the Crescent from Charlottesville to New Orleans a couple weeks ago and found the service from all of the crew to be exceptionally good--far better than the merely adequate service on the Silver Service to Florida in December.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page