RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » House Appropriations Subcommittee hearing

Author Topic: House Appropriations Subcommittee hearing
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was watching the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Transportation hearing on C-SPAN tonight. A panel consisting of George Warrington, Amtrak's president, Phyllis Scheinberg of the GAO, and Kenneth Mead the transportation dept's inspector general answered the committee's questions.

It was a rather sad affair. Warrington did a terrific job of conveying the value of Amtrak, but he wasn't able to convince anyone, including this viewer, that Amtrak will meet its self sufficiency goal.

Scheinberg and Mead were completely unsympathetic to Amtrak's plight, suggesting that the system, with the exception of the NEC, wouldn't be missed if it shriveled up and died. Committee chairman Harold Rogers, a Republican from Kentucky, conveyed similar sentiments.

Congresswoman JoAnn Emerson from Missouri showed strong support for Amtrak, but said it was a hard sell to her constituents, most of whom live in rural areas far from the nearest Amtrak line. A few other Congressmen were also sympathetic, but they were given little little time to speak and their questions were not well focused.

Most everyone present, with the possible exception of Warrington, seemed to agree that a national debate needs to begin immediately to decide if this country really wants long distance trains at all. When Rogers asked Warrington about the frequency of trains from Chicago to the west coast. Warrington replied there was one each way per day. To that Rogers gruffly concluded that those trains were just used by "tourists" and therefore they were of little or no real value. Rogers monopolized the last 40 minutes with that sort of nonsense.

Poor George Warrington was all alone in defending Amtrak's position. He was attacked on all sides and he alone had to defend Amtrak. In short, the cards were stacked against him. It wasn't pretty.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting that. Any chance that Amtrak would "survive" in a totally restructured state? In a year or so we might end up with just the NEC and some selected commuter systems. At least the rail infrastructure will remain (in most cases). Meanwhile, any idea if the Senate committee folks feel the same way?
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CVFAN
Member # 634

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for CVFAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it would have been a bit more fair if we saw some of Amtraks peers such as those from the airline industry there.
Does anyone have a figure on how much money the governemnt spends on airlines in comparison to Amtrak?

Posts: 32 | From: Florence,MA.USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CVFAN
Member # 634

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for CVFAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it would have been a bit more fair if we saw some of Amtraks peers such as those from the airline industry there.
Does anyone have a figure on how much money the governemnt spends on airlines in comparison to Amtrak?

Posts: 32 | From: Florence,MA.USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CVFAN:

According to Senator kay Bailey Hutchinson of Texas Congress spends $19 billion on aviation, $80 billion on highways, and half a billion on Amtrak. She also points out that Congress spends $1.4 billion just putting salt on icy roads. That's 2.8 times what Congress spends on Amtrak's entire national system.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC2001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak has suffered along for thirty years now with woefully inadequate resources and with opposition (or benign neglect) from Congress and seven (!) presidential administrations. So, it has taken us thirty years to realize we now need a rational debate about the future of the long-distance passenger train? This is unbelievable!

Whethor Amtrak reaches self-sufficiency by 2003 is not what's really important - with continuing capital support, it's meaningless anyway. Amtrak's cash-loss is something on the order of $550 million. To move over 20 million passsengers annually, that's the biggest bargain going (check the above posted numbers on air and highway subsidies).

Were Amtrak to be cut to just the Northeast Corridor and a few other (state-supported?) corridors, the annual subsidy probably would not drop significantly. The greatest share of capital spending (track maintenance, Acela equipment, and major New York and B&P tunnel work) will still occur in the Northeast. All the long-distance trains - only to maintain the status-quo - are relatively inexpensive by comparison.

As commented elsewhere, it isn't fair for Congress to hold Amtrak to the 2003 deadline because Congress has shortchanged Amtrak's subsidy each year since the 1997 plan originated. Further, if Amtrak could ever get the mail/express trains launched, it would do more than anything Congress has ever done to improve Amtrak's finances.

Actually. given the transportation environment in which it's been forced to compete, Amtrak has done remarkably well.

Posts: 72 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CVFAN
Member # 634

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for CVFAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting statistics! Thanks.
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After I posted those figures I realized I wasn't sure if the $80 billion was for federal highway funding or funding at all levels. Whichever, it all comes out of our pockets.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

John Toth
Member # 20

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Toth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More comments related to the recent Congressional hearings.

I "felt" for Mr. Warrington during the meetings, also. BUT, don't you think he REALIZED that Amtrak would continue to come under "vicious" attack ?

Also, where is the NARP ? Are any reps from THAT organization able to enter these hearings and comment. Here we have (supposedly) Amtrak's BIGGEST "spokes-vehicle". Who better to DEFEND Amtrak ?

I was not able to listen in to all of the hearings. But , over-all , I felt Warrington's general "nature" was just too "defensive." He WAS over-whelmed , I would agree. But SURELY there was a "battle-plan" going in. This is WAR, guys !! Meetings like this are a virtual MINE-FIELD for Amtrak !! I would pay MONEY to have the opportunity to comment at hearings like that. Wouldn't YOU ??? SOMEBODY has to "stand-up" to the detractors and "tell it like it is !"

Did you ever notice in meetings such as this that only the "chair-table" asks the questions ? Warrington ASKED no questions , did he ? Why not ? Why didn't he ASK the chair-person to QUOTE the dollar figure that the federal highway system was offered in 2000 ? Or the aviatioin system ? And that guy and gal from the GAO. Why didn,t Warrington ask THEM for those figures---right at the hearings ?? Put THEM on the spot. Focus attention somewhere ELSE !

Both people from the GAO really "irritated" me. When the lady mentioned that the California route between LA and San Diego could "disappear" and no one would even notice, Warrington (or SOMEBODY from Amtrak) should have asked her if she ever tried to DRIVE between those two cities.

When the chairman called routes like the Empire Builder , "tourist trains" , why couldn't SOMEONE from Amtrak say , Why NOT ? They have them in EUROPE ??"

Like I said, when you KNOW you are going to do BATTLE , you had BETTER be prepared like you have NEVER been prepared before. War is war. You had better be prepared for a FIGHT, or not show up. I tell you , Amtrak "guns" should have been BLAZING. Again, we have to ask ourselves : Were Amtrak officials UNPREPARED ?

I know its easy for me to sit HERE and comment like this. After-all, I was not sitting in front of the committee. But I tell you what, when I feel STRONGLY about a "cause" , I make my feelings KNOWN. I speak my mind. Could we really say that about Warrington at the recent hearings. Did he really VOCALIZE WHY Amtrak IS in the position where it is at ?

The bottom-line is that I think "going-in" Amtrak KNEW what to expect and officials KNEW that MUCH criticism and scrutinization would occur---JUST as in the past. This is NOTHING "new." I just am not so sure "WE" for as prepared for "attack" as we SHOULD/COULD have been. Maybe I am wrong.

But remember: "Fool me ONCE, shame on YOU. Fool me TWICE, shame on ME."

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CVFAN
Member # 634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CVFAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We shouldn't have to be at war over this. While Warrington may have been unprepared, I find it hard to put the blame on Amtrak. The fact is, it's hard to get money out of the government if it dosen't want to give it up. We can argue until the next millenium about how unfairly tax dollars are divided. I think the problem is that fundamental change has to take place in how this country is handling transportation. Until all of our elected officials can agree on that, than Amtrak as well as every other alternative transportaion will remain just that...alternative.
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
I don't know how the committee rules work, but I suspect that the chairman probably decides who will be invited to speak. If that is true then the chairman could easily stack the deck in his favor.

As for Warringtom being unprepared, I don't think that was the case. He seemed to be extremely knowledgable. But when you are going into a situation like that two heads are always better than one. Unfortunately, the bean counters had safety in numbers while Warrington was all alone. If Warrington was allowed to bring a companion, but didn't, then that was his fault. If only Warrington was invited then it was the chairman's fault.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

John Toth
Member # 20

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Toth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great discussion so far , everyone ! This is wonderful. We needs everybody's "input" here, so let's keep it up.

Again, where is the NARP related to these hearings ? Is it by invitation only ?

I noticed the GAO had to members seated at the table. Why was Fred Warrington alone ?

Also, how simple would it be to write a short "statement" that summarizes what Amtrak's general purpose should be ? The committee chair AND Warrington both agreed that NOBODY knows what Amtrak's real PURPOSE is. Does this sound STRANGE to anyone else ?

Also, let's "toss around" an approximate dollar figure related to a REAL "rebirth" of passenger rail in the nation: $100 billion ?

Of course this figure would "stagger" Congress , but in reality it is probably only a THREE YEAR total for federal highway spending alone !!

Also, I still do not see how Amtrak (or any other such "entity") could survive without some sort of financial "partnership" with freight-rail. Some of you folks who have followed my posts know how strongly I feel about that situation. At least HALF of Amtrak's "woes" can be DIRECTLY related to freight-railroads. Does anyone else agree ? Serious issues need to be addressed that prevent the freight companies from "embracing" Amtrak. I am CERTAIN it is not just money. It only makes sense that the freight company officials have "vocalized" these issues with Amtrak. That being the case, why doesn't Amtrak "vocalize" these issues with Congress---through the HEARING format that is now in progress ?? Is it just me or there a TOTAL lack of communication here ? Here our entire passenger-rail system is at stake, and there seems to be a complete "shut-down" in communication.

Can anyone explain WHY no freight companies were represented at these hearings ? Wouldn't it make sense for them to be included ? For example (and let me just "throw in" some numbers): in the Eastern United States let's say Norfolk Southern "controls" 30 % of the track Amtrak runs on. Wouldn't it make SENSE to have N/S officials present at a hearing related to Amtrak trains over their system ? Am I missing something here ? It makes sense to ME.

The conversation might go like this:

Chair: Mr. Warrington , what seems to be one of the major complaints about Amtrak trains?

Warrington: Why the fact that they often run late , sir.

Chair: And why is that , Mr. Warrington ?

Warrington: Well sir, Amtrak trains are often delayed by Norfolk Southern freights.

Chair: (to official of N/S present at hearing): Sir, what do you have to say about that ? Why ARE Amtrak trains delayed through your system ? What IS the problem ?

OR

Chair: Mr. Warrington, what is the "status" of the Skyline Connection.

Warrington: We have been negotiating MONTHS with N/S for permission to initiate this train through their system in Pennsylvania. Negotiations are stalled. All our offers have been refused by N/S.

Chair: What WERE these offers, Mr. Warrington ?

Warrington: (Lists offers)

Chair: (to N/S official): Why were these offers refused, sir ?

Does anybody see how this type of "scenario" would benefit Amtrak ? Let the FREIGHT officials explain THEIR position.

In a way, Amtrak officials should be able to REFUSE "testifying" at hearings such as this WITHOUT pertinent freight officials being present also. Does anyone agree with THAT idea ? I say FORCE the freight companies to "vocalize" their opposition to Amtrak in DETAIL at hearings such as this for EVERYONE to hear ? What's the big secret ?

When you think about it, there MUST be legitimate "concerns" that the freight companies have related to Amtrak trains running through their system. Well let's have Congress HEAR them "formally" in OPEN FORUM. How else can a "partnership" develop?

One of the most important things Fred Warrington should have told the hearing "chair" is that MANY issues must be settled with the freight rail companies before Amtrak can become a "viable" means of public transport---and that Amtrak has TRIED but repeatedly FAILED. Now it is CONGRESS's "turn."

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC2001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

First, let me say I couldn't agree more with John toth's comments above. I unfortunately didn't see all the hearings, but I suspect the freight railroads wouldn't have wanted to be respresented, because they would be perfectly happy to see Amtrak disappear. They don't want a working relationship with passenger rail - a policy which is as shortsighted as it is damaging to Amtrak.

Yes, Amtrak's problems center around it's relationships with it's freight rail "partners". A workable plan to improve the financial performance of long-distance passenger trains exists - the mail/express trains - but it can't get off the ground due to freight rail opposition. First, was the "standard 45 car train" proposal, but along the line it became a 30-car limit. A 350-car reefer fleet was to be in service long ago, but all we've seen so far are two prototypes (the first production cars are supposedly due next week). More recently, the first stages of a "network growth" plan were announced as the Skyline Connection and a coast-to-coast luxury cruise (among others), but they have yet to materialize. Beyond that, what happened to the auto-carrying RoadRailers intended for the Coast Starlight, or a resurrected express-train Pioneer route?

I have never understood why these proposals never seem to happen. My understanding is Amtrak has a statutory right to run it's trains over freight-railroads. I remember Amtrak going to court at least once over this (with SP in California - Amtrak prevailed). Passenger trains also always have the right-of-way over freight, and the track infrastructure cannot be downgraded. All of the above are routinely violated, and this is one problem we can't blame on Congress (although it may take Congress' intervention to solve the problem).

I realize I digress slightly from the Subcommittee Hearing, but I've seen Amtrak face so many a crisis' before Congress that I nearly take them for granted. The freight-rail partnership issue is probably Amtrak's most serious problem (assuming a reasonable federal subsidy continues). More (drastic) reforms than I can count have been proposed over the years, but in actuality Amtrak looks and functions today much like it did in 1980 when I first became interested. I almost wonder if the 2003 deadline really will be any different.

Posts: 72 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to share another observation of the hearing that relates to the Express service and reefer business. Warrington said the freight railroads were perfectly happy to allow Amtrak to have that business since the freight companies do not handle those types of things themselves. Warrington said freight railroads have pretty much gotten out of the refrigerated transport business. Is that not true?

------------------
-Mr. Toy

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
I have an answer to the question of whether Warrington could have brought someone with him. The short answer is no. I have a friend who did some time in DC as a white house intern. Here's what he said:

"...the Chairman determines who speaks, the ranking minority member is also empowered to bring witnesses before the panel. So its entirely possible that the Dems on the panel asked the Amtrak person to speak. Warrington, as a witness, is not entitled to bring someone else to speak with him or for him. At best he could defer specific questions to answer later in writing, if he did not have the information before him."

My sister who is active in Oregon politics, daid that a committee member can enter statements into the congressional record after the fact, if they felt some important information was left out of the hearing.

I'm now pretty much convinced the deck was stacked against Amtrak.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's really good to see such feelings here about Amtrak. I'd like to invite any interested to join the rail advocacy group at http://www.All_Aboard@yahoogroups.com I hope I got the address right, I'll check & correct it if not. Yours Reggie

------------------

[This message has been edited by reggierail (edited 03-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by reggierail (edited 03-25-2001).]

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry about the address on the previous post. Everytime I tried to edit it, it got worse. I'll just put the addy to sign up to the group here. Please give it a try as the discussions get pretty hot every now & then. You do have to sign up with Yahoo groups but it's worth it. Make sure & set your delivery options to digest or web only as the e-mails generated at this site can exceed 100 per day. All_Aboard-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page