RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Mail on Amtrak

Author Topic: Mail on Amtrak
trainguy in california
Member # 1726

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainguy in california     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much mail does Amtrak carry these days? Could this be increased to help reduce losses for the system?
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"TrainGuy",
Good question. If you have a chance, you should pick up a copy of the January 2002 issue of Trains magazine. There is an interesting article in it by Bob Johnston called, "Why Amtrak Bothers with Mail and Express (because it really, really needs the money)."
According to the article, in fiscal 2000, M&E contributed $122 million to Amtrak (while passenger-related revenue contributed $1.277 billion). This amounts to roughly 6% of income for Amtrak. However, the $122 million was up 25% from fiscal 1999 (19% increase for mail, and 50% for express). The article also states that there are high expenses for moving the cargo, which we all know.
Amtrak has tried to tap as many markets as possible, including the ill-fated Lake Country Limited. I think that if the business is there, Amtrak will make a move toward it.
The 'Chief' is one of Amtrak's main carriers of M&E, but I guess the 'Sunset', and several Eastern routes could also expand on it- if the market is there.

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page