RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Mazonia - Springfield, IL trackwork

Author Topic: Mazonia - Springfield, IL trackwork
catalantalgo
Member # 1836

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for catalantalgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that the major trackwork is done and the remaining work is mostly signalling, has anyone had occasion to ride this line? Are there any noticeable speed increases or is the line smoother? I used to ride this lots going back and forth from school and to Chicago from St. Louis. Parts of it were nice, but other parts were very bumpy.

thanks

Posts: 6 | From: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I'm travelling that way August 29 from Austin to Joliet and returning September 1. If you want to wait till September 3, I can give you the scoop.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catalantalgo
Member # 1836

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for catalantalgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About this time a year ago, I went Austin to St. Louis. We left Austin about 3 hours late and it didn't get any better. The new Ft. Worth station was pretty nice looking, although incomplete at the time. I am curious how you will be routed between Ft. Worth and Dallas. UP trackwork had the train routed over the commuter owned tracks at times this summer.

Posts: 6 | From: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, on our May 2 trip to Milwaukee and East Glacier Park, we traveled over UP. It took us 4 1/2 hours to get from Ft Worth to Dallas, thanks to the roadwork and lack of dispatching skills by the UP employees. (UP dispatcher response = SHAZAMMM, You mean Amtrak needs to get to Dallas, from Ft Worth at 3:00 pm?? Who knew????)

I'll let you know which route I take when I get back, September 3rd.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page