TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » 30th Street Station

Author Topic: 30th Street Station
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if there is a rental car counter at or near 30th St. station, Philadelphia?

Tom

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only "major" NOT having a facility within 30th St appears to be....(drumroll)...Enterprise.

Volks, I really have nothing against them; they are simply 'stereotyped' in my mind as "the insurance rental". All told, I hope I never have to do business with them again, but the likelihood is all too great I will.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gilbert, Thanks for that. Somehow, I knew you'd have the answer!

Tom

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are located in a room to the side of the big hall. It's a glass door, and when you walk inside (it's pretty small) all of the rental counters are located right there next to each other.

Once you pick up your car, they will direct you downstairs to a very dark and strange parking garage. The ceiling has that stuff growing on it---I can't remember what it's called---looks like bird poop. But the stuff is constantly dripping down, so my advice is to look where the puddles are and walk outside of that area so that you don't get nailed. The cars will all be covered in the stuff also, and it does not wash off.

Also, one more piece of advice: I rented a car and drove out towards Broomall and West Chester. I had the Hertz NeverLost (the GPS device), and the routing took me through "the projects". I was the only white person around for miles and miles---scared the heck out of me. So make sure you figure out where you want to drive and don't rely on a GPS because it might take you along the same route that I took.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:

I had the Hertz NeverLost

Funny story, smitty. I just got back from a vacation trip involving a Hertz rental car that I needed to drive from Albany, NY to Saratoga Springs, NY. I got "upgraded" to a beautiful brand new Impala with all the bells and whistles, including that "NeverLost" thingy which I never bothered to try out being somewhat familiar with the area.

Anyway, what I wasn't familiar with were the controls and indicators on the car. I managed to find the lights and wipers pretty quickly (it was raining at the time), but I had a problem figuring out the A/C controls. Somewhere on the Northway (I-87), I began to feel a very strange sensation emanating from my (for want of a better word) bottom. Seems I turned on the seat warmer instead of the A/C! My first (and last, I think) experience with that particular option.

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that's good to know. I have a Hertz Chevy Impala "or similar vehicle" this Friday down in Southern California. I guess I'll play with all of the doodads before I leave the parking lot!
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The plaything may be "Neverlost" in Hertzese, but there are enough frequent Hertz renters who call it "Alwayslost'.

A year ago, I had a Saturn Aura rented at KHPN with a unit installed; after carefully checking my Agreement to see if I was paying for it (wasn't), I then started to play with it just to see if it would work, and it did. Not that I need it for anywhere I have occasion to go in Westchester or Fairfield Counties, I decided to "play'. However, after loading in Greenwich Hyatt (where I stay when visiting my Sister), I found it was going to take me there via I-684, I-287, and I-95. Far more direct is King Street (which is the only way I ever knew as a kid to get between Greenwich and KHPN), and especially at rush hour when one is confronted with the I-95 "Greenwich Gauntlet", or otherwise when the hedge fund traders are catapulting their Porsches up the Arch Street interchange - and touching all three lanes within a quarter of a mile.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have used Enterprise for many purposes other than "insurance rentals" (but I have also used them for that purpose), and they have always beeen good and we have always gotten good cars, reliable service, and a good price. On our vacation last year, we rented a car from Enterprise after departing the Cardinal in Crawfordsville, IN, drove it to my college reunion, then drove it on up to Illinois and turned it in at the Libertyville office -- no problems with it, and the people were alwaya helpful.

Concerning GPS devices, I don't use them -- I use this old-fashioined, archaic device called a "map" before I travel anywhere......

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page