RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » champagne train

Author Topic: champagne train
neldowden
Member # 1899

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for neldowden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just heard a new song called Champagne Train while vacationing in Colorado. I think Amtrak ought to use SOMETHING in their promotions to show that trains are for ENJOYMENT, not just to "get somewhere"! Anyway, I found it on amazon.com. It's by an artist called McCaffrey. Amtrak needs to promote dining, scenery, conversation, etc. The Coast Starlight is the only train I know of that Amtrak promotes in that way. Any other ideas?

------------------
nel dowd

Posts: 8 | From: bishop, CA , USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdavis
Member # 1907

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdavis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by neldowden:
I just heard a new song called Champagne Train while vacationing in Colorado. I think Amtrak ought to use SOMETHING in their promotions to show that trains are for ENJOYMENT, not just to "get somewhere"! Anyway, I found it on amazon.com. It's by an artist called McCaffrey. Amtrak needs to promote dining, scenery, conversation, etc. The Coast Starlight is the only train I know of that Amtrak promotes in that way. Any other ideas?

Sounds like a good idea! One of the good reasons for riding the trains is the pure enjoyment of all these things. Few people fly or take the bus. That is why there are so many private excursion operations and why we have so many forums in the world for train buffs!

Posts: 5 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Champagne to Champaign----

Rail Cruise America, a St Louis based private car operator that has a fleet of immaculately maintained ex-UP cars, including a Redwood Lounge (take note Mr. Pullman) will be operating excursions to (believe it or not) "wild card contender" Chicago Bears "home games" at Champaign (the stadium is under reconstruction) this season.

Only problem, they will be offering a gourmet dinner on the return from the day games - something I don't think I would be in the mood for if I were full of beer and bratwursts.

Also, "it aint gonna be on the cheap".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emiller
Member # 1912

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for emiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I picked up this album. That song is definitely for train buffs! We do need to amtrak to "push" the enjoyment factor!
Posts: 1 | From: burbank, CA , US | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many Washington politicians already consider Amtrak to be nothing more than a taxpayer-subsidized purveyor of land cruises for well-heeled tourists. So pushing the "enjoyment" factor would have to be done carefully.

Actually, I was leafing through a copy of Amtrak's 2002 Travel Planner today. It's 100 pages' worth of just about everything you'd ever need to know about traveling on Amtrak.

It makes Amtrak look pretty enjoyable. Unfortunately, it's also packed with so many photos of obscenely good looking "passengers," in full party mode, that it really does give the impression that Amtrak is solely for vacationers. And upscale ones at that.

If Amtrak ever runs another series of TV commercials, they'd be wise to keep it simple and real. No catchy music. No computerized graphics. No drop-dead gorgeous models with perfect teeth. Not even a voiceover.

Just hire a talented director and a first rate film crew, and let them capture the true sights and sounds of traveling by train:

You know, sleeping cars at sunrise, coaches in the afternoon, dining cars at dinnertime, old train stations, forests, farms, small towns, deserts, mountains, blizzards, thunderstorms, rainbows, boy scouts, young families, tattooed hipsters, retirees. . . and all those Amish and Mennonite teens who mysteriously appear on every single train.

And at the very end of the commercial? Insert nothing more than the Amtrak logo and 800 number. That's all you need. Let the magic of train travel sell itself.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 09-08-2002).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pattysdeal
Member # 1927

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pattysdeal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's sickening that we have NO trains here in the Phoenix area. I have to go to south to catch a train to New Orleans or north to
the train to Chicago. Both trains are scenic & believe me, I would have a few glasses of CHAMPAGNE on any train that would come through this town of over a million residents!!! I love trains in Europe, but the SCENIC trains here and in Canada have better food and drink than the ones in Europe. There just aren't ENOUGH trains here in the west!

------------------
PattyAnn

Posts: 7 | From: scottsdale, AZ US | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dennymcg
Member # 1936

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dennymcg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back here in the east, we have a lot of trains, but most of us use them for commuting, etc. In the west, it would be a shame to cut any long distance routes; if they could bring the commuting lines more to the people, I'm sure they would use the long distance routes more-and more for the scenic/enjoyment factor as well. I'm going to look up that album!
Posts: 5 | From: New London, CN | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neldowden
Member # 1899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neldowden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. It's a shame,what happened to the Acela back east in your territory. The manufacturer(s) should should go out of their way to get that/those problems fixed now and BEFORE they ship out. Anyway, hopefully, the "fun" will come out more in train travel ALL across the country and in CANADA as well.
Posts: 8 | From: bishop, CA , USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dennymcg
Member # 1936

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dennymcg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People should check out the LA to Las Vegas topic on the Western Rail forum on this site. Mr.Toy has some informative links of interest which relate to this topic as well as an idea proposed by Ms. Dowden.

------------------
dennym

Posts: 5 | From: New London, CN | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 12 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN,

Isn't Rail Cruise America a division of ACF?

Aren't almost all the cars of Rail Cruise America ex-UP built by ACF?

Oh ... since when has Quality rail travel ever been inexpesnive? A good value, yes, inexpensive, no.

We won't talk about the KC Chumps. Not only did they lose their home opener, they are also advertising single game tickets on the radio again. I've not heard that in over a decade. Where's Schottenheimer?

John

quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Champagne to Champaign----

Rail Cruise America, a St Louis based private car operator that has a fleet of immaculately maintained ex-UP cars, including a Redwood Lounge (take note Mr. Pullman) will be operating excursions to (believe it or not) "wild card contender" Chicago Bears "home games" at Champaign (the stadium is under reconstruction) this season.

Also, "it aint gonna be on the cheap".

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pattysdeal
Member # 1927

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pattysdeal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be nice to have a connecting train called the "Champagne Train" to the Napa Wine Train. Is there a "decent" track connection to Napa? Maybe the Sacramento/San Jose line could do this, if it's close enough. Any ideas, folks?

------------------
PattyAnn

Posts: 7 | From: scottsdale, AZ US | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dennymcg
Member # 1936

Rate Member
I just read the "Amtrak to Las Vegas" forum topic in the WESTERN section. Mr. Toy has some interesting links and comments on the subject of the "Wine Country Trains". (make sure you call Monterey wine county as well!)You folks should check those out. Boy, would it be nice to have those trains and links. Do you think we'd get some interest and some rider? I think so!

------------------
dennym

pattysdeal
Member # 1927

Rate Member
Does anyone who has been on the Grand Canyon line taken the "top of the line" option? I'd like to know if it's worth it on that trip.

------------------
PattyAnn

neldowden
Member # 1899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neldowden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been a long time since I took that trip. I've heard that you can now, directly stop at Williams from the Southwest Chief to catch the train to the Grand Canyon. I think they have a dome car now, though I'm not sure.
pattysdeal
Member # 1927

Rate Member
I remember when I took a walk by the tracks at the Grand Canyon station. They had pine trees growing through them. It's great that the train is now doing so well, so if anyone has taken the top of the line option, please describe! Thanks!

------------------
PattyAnn

royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few years ago I paid extra for the private car on the rear of the train. It was well worth the extra money. It was an ex CN official car with very comfortable parlour car-type seating with our own private bartender. The best part of the car was the outside rear platform, I spent much of the ride out there. The train also has a dome car, however, the private car is much superior.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pattysdeal
Member # 1927

Rate Member
Thanks so much, Mr. Royal! I'm making my reservation after I write this and I will have my one "champagne train" on the rear of the parlor (parlour) car. I can't wait!
(I'm bringing some friends, as well!)

------------------
PattyAnn

tdavis
Member # 1907

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdavis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if you can spend the night in the Grand Canyon, taking the train, and come back the next day? Also, are there plans for more than one round trip a day? Thanks

------------------
tdavis

Posts: 5 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dennymcg
Member # 1936

Rate Member
You can spend the night at the canyon and take the train back, but you better make sure you have a firm reservation! Right now, they only have one round trip-it's a slow ride. By the way folks, I picked up that album by McCaffrey and I really like that song, Champagne Train. The guy must be a real train buff. It's smooth jazz type of instrumental song that makes you imagine that you're riding on the train. Amtrak ought to pick this up for it's promotion. Does anyone know who this guy, McCaffrey Is?

------------------
dennym

royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The famous El Tovar hotel at the Grand Canyon would be my recommendation. It is a short walk from the station and is quite a magnificant historical establishment. Have you checked the Grand Canyon RR's website: www.thetrain.com.? It contains most all the information you will need about the railway and hotels in the area.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neldowden
Member # 1899

Rate Member
I have had dinner at sunset at the El Tovar and it was quite magnificent. By the way, ROYAL TRAIN,(and others as well) my McCaffrey CD arrived. I agree with Mr.Dennymcg on the song, Champagne Train. I see by the credits that it is a joint Canadian and American project. Kind of like Via and Amtrak together on a CD! Anyway, make sure you get your reservations for dinner WAY ahead of time; some people call weeks in advance. Of course, it helps if you're staying there!

------------------
nel dowd

dennymcg
Member # 1936

Rate Member
I understand that there's a "Champagne Train" to Tecate, Mexico from Campo, CA. Has anyone taken that train? If so, how was it? I hear that the old SD&Arizona tracks are going to be "up and running" shortly. I know that the carrizo gorge trestle and other items are taking the time. It would be nice to take a train from San Diego to Arizona and not have to go north first!

------------------
dennym

dmcginnis
Member # 2003

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmcginnis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about now, but I took that train from Campo to Tecate. I'm glad I upgraded, because the people in the other cars looked very uncomfortable. It was a nice little trip, however, and Tecate was a very clean and friendly town. Maybe they have upgraded the train since last year.

------------------
dennis Tr Lover

Posts: 1 | From: St. Louis, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdavis
Member # 1907

Rate Member
How large is this train and how often does it run? It's intriquing to know that perhaps they might run it from San Diego and points east like the "old days"!

------------------
tdavis

Edtrainman
Member # 2023

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edtrainman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can check with the San Diego Model Railroad club for schedules. Usually, there is one "1st class" car and the rest for the "cheap seats". The schedule and themes vary during the year. I don't know how close they are to opening the tracks between El Central and San Diego. I would check with the Carrizo Gorge railway to find out.

------------------
Ed Trainman

Posts: 2 | From: palm springs, CA us | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edtrainman
Member # 2023

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edtrainman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can check with the San Diego Model Railroad club for schedules. Usually, there is one "1st class" car and the rest for the "cheap seats". The schedule and themes vary during the year. I don't know how close they are to opening the tracks between El Central and San Diego. I would check with the Carrizo Gorge railway to find out.

------------------
Ed Trainman

Posts: 2 | From: palm springs, CA us | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdavis
Member # 1907

Rate Member
I know that it's great to have trains for purely enjoyment, as in this discussion, but we should lobby more in "practical" terms as the airlines are moving out of smaller cities! Please see my topic for airport connections, etc. Thanks, Tom

------------------
tdavis

pattysdeal
Member # 1927

Rate Member
I believe that all these separate connections to smaller airports would be not be practical as to cost, but EVERY major airport line should have rail connections because it is PRACTICAL to cost!
pattysdeal
Member # 1927

Rate Member
speaking of airports, does anyone know about the rail connection to LAX? (When is it going to be available) And also to Detroit Metro as well. Thanks
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LAX is years away from being directly served by rail. I don't know about Detroit.
Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page