RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Advertised (and un-advertised) bus connections

Author Topic: Advertised (and un-advertised) bus connections
jebradley
Member # 606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jebradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just received April timetables (sent an email since there's no prompt nor blank on the website to get tts). Questions:

1. Why only 1 Acela Express stop New London?

2. Why not list more bus connections (non-Thruway). Example: Carl R. Bieber serves the back end of 30th Street Phila. (29th St. entrance) with 4 daily trips to Bethlehem, Allentown, Kutztown, Reading, and intermediate points. Why no mention in tt?

3. No mention of Boston transfer options, North Station-South Station !

4. Why such poor bus connections Albuquerque-El Paso? Personally, I think the S.W. Chief could be eliminated in favor of a daylight Denver-Pueblo-Trinidad-Albq.-El Paso TRAIN. Lots of Mexican immigrants/visitors! Same story San Antonio-Laredo.

5. The person who drew up the Columbus-Cincinnati bus table in the Amtrak National tt should be fired ! Takes an expert to read it - could be one single, simple table !

6. While on the subject, when is some money coming for a true, national, serious attempt to find out just where Amtrak's markets really are? Examples: Chicago-Atlanta; Chicago-Denver AUTO TRAIN (& other places);

Thanks for letting me sound off!

Jim Bradley Hawk Mtn. Chapter N.R.H.S.

Posts: 57 | From: Allentown, PA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a study done a while ago which compared city pairs for travellers. I can't remember where it was - perhaps somebody here remembers it? There was one interesting option of a "slip coach" off the Southwest Chief going over Tehachapi to places north. An interesting option for railfans but the railroads might not see it that way... The current city pairs linked are for historical and freight reasons rather than passenger practicallity (of course).

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page