RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » CHARDGING MY SCOOTER ONBOARD CAPITOL

Author Topic: CHARDGING MY SCOOTER ONBOARD CAPITOL
KA6BGJ
Member # 662

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KA6BGJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am planning to take the Capitol from EMY to SAC and spend the day in Old Sacramento (visiting the Railroad museum, and touring around Old Sacramento Etc) Then returning to EMY in the late afternoon, early evening.

Since I have a mobility problem, I use a three wheel electric scooter (PRIDE SUNDANCER) to get around in lieu of walking.

I would like to know if it would be possible to charge my Scooter while traveling from EMY to SAC in the morning and from SAC to EMY on the return trip.

My Scooter has an onboard charger and all it would require is a regular AC outlet with a Ground to charge it. If there is a plug available, would I have priority in using it?

Since the range of my scooter is only 20 miles, per charge, I would have to drive it about 6 Miles from my home to EMY and then another 6 Miles from EMY to my house. This would leave me with only 8 miles to explore Old Sacramento. (this would be a big gamble to see oif my batteries on my Scooter will hold out until I get back home)

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might be able to give.

Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak cars do have 110 vac outlets; as they are cleaned with regular household vacuum cleaners.

I don't think there is any land rush on to use the outlets; however, your scooter (I presume similar to those found in large retail stores) should not draw current in excess of a household vacuum cleaner, and I would guess you should be prepared to establish to the on-board crew that be the case.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
john1082
Member # 2068

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for john1082     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You would be hard pressed to go more than three miles during your stay in Sacramento. The Amtrak station is perhaps three blocks or so from the California State Railway Museum and the museum is at the north end ofl Old Town Sacramento. Be advised that the sidewalks are wooden boardwalks and that the ride will be rough.

Although you would still have one mile to play with, the rough nature of the walkways and the upand down on the ramps might be more of a drain that you anticipate. An outlet would be a handy thing to have.

Posts: 37 | From: Orange, CA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page