RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Haywards Heath to East Grinstead

Author Topic: Haywards Heath to East Grinstead
steve1977
Member # 2123

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for steve1977     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello everyone, I live in the south of England near Brighton.

I was wondering are they ever likely to link up Haywards Heath station on the London to Brighton line, first with ardingly station (at present only has a single track non electrified line, then link up ardingly to the Blue bell railway (now just a steam train line between Horsted Kaynes, fresh field halt and Shefield Park station, then finally link up the other end of the Blue bell line with East Grinstead station.

A lot of these line did once exist but were closed ages ago now by Dr Beaching (he's no longer alive these days), apart from numerous other lines which were once quite sadly chopped in UK, there also used to be a line from 3 Bridges to East Grinstead too. It would be great to see these lines back again like the good old days.

Anyone know of any likely future proposals to bring back any of these UK lines near to the South of England?

Thanks very much...

Posts: 16 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, this message board is devoted to Amtrak and rail travel in the U.S.A.

I don't know how much you'll get out of posting UK-related technical questions here.

If you haven't already done so, try posting in the international section.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve

Try looking at the Strategic Rail Authority website in the UK, they have details of regional infrastructure upgrades. Although a number of passenger routes have re-opened in recent years I can't see the "Bluebell" coming back somehow.

On a historical note for the benefit of US readers, Dr Richard Beeching was Chairman of the state owned British Rail in the early 1960's who presided over the closure of about half the passenger rail network in Britain (thereafter known as "the Beeching Axe"). Rural branch lines and secondary routes were totally wiped from the map in large parts of the country but it was a necessary evil as it is worth remembering that at that time 50% of the routes carried just 1% of the passenger numbers and the railways were losing 1.5 BILLION dollars a year - and this was in 1960!!

And you think Amtrak has problems now!!

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainguy in california
Member # 1726

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainguy in california     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though I dont know about the line you are speaking of, I do know that here in the States we have had similar problems with freight lines.
In the 1970's & 1980's "penny pinchers" ripped up thousands of miles of track all over the country. When traffic bounced back, many of the lines that remained were over-taxed and congested.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's certainly true (in the UK) that many lines that were closed would never have been axed if we knew then what we know now, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. I can remember petrol being 37 cents a UK gallon in England pre-1973 oil crisis (it is now about $6.40 ie $5.08 a US gallon).

Living standards were rising, everybody was getting cars and the railways were dying a death.

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page